British Speedway Forum

WORLD PRESS COVERAGE GB WINS SON

What a great start to the weekend with TEAM GB winning the SON ,and it was a shame the football team coulnt follow suit,but my question is does anyone outside of speedway know team GB are world champs,because quite frankly the press coverage of us winning the event is pathetic to say the least!!!Now i know there would be no talk of a public holiday!!!!!! i like they were talking about the England football team but surely MORE could have been done in the press to jump on the  band wagon so to speak and raise the profile of the sport.Even the GB squad are sponsored by the daily star but they had little or n o coverage,so im just wondering if any of our friends from around the world had any mentions of the event in their country,either on national TV or the papers and what on earth Speedway has to do to get in the spotlight,it just seems knowbody is bothered.Now the question that most proberly people will fire back to me is speedway has lost the plot and is not popular enough,but then how do sports like hockey get a full page write up in the press when surely speedway has more going for it then hockey,or evan table tennis got a mention the other day in the press!!!!It would be interesting to hear any thoughts of fans in Poland ,Denmark or Sweden what the press think of speedway and what on earth can be done to change the way people in the press think of our sport as winning and being top of the world in a sport doesnt do a damm thing to get speedway in the spotlight.Im at a loss for words how speedway is looked at.

• Like 1

The days of results, tables and reports in the national press are long gone..60s, 70s, 80s. Speedway is a great sport but just ain't popular anymore in Britain.

Edited by auntie doris

surely MORE could have been done in the press to jump on the  band wagon 

This made me laugh......delusional somewhat to think there is a band wagon to jump on here :blink:

There isn't. That is why nobody jumped B)

The only way it would have made the press is if DJ Woffy had dropped a volley of F- Bombs at not being able to ride... but as the Team GB Captain has, as far as I'm aware, been completely silent on Team GB's victory the press couldn't even report on that!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think the lack of home appearances from the national team helps. To expect the mainstream press to report on a national team that only makes an appearance on these shores once every few years is unrealistic and there's no way on this earth they're going to report on the appearances in the back of beyond on the continent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't think the lack of home appearances from the national team helps. To expect the mainstream press to report on a national team that only makes an appearance on these shores once every few years is unrealistic and there's no way on this earth they're going to report on the appearances in the back of beyond on the continent. 

Good point. Way back when there was at least one test series every year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iainb said:

Spot on ..

A 3 match series each season (early doors before Poland and Sweden kick off), v Australia, Poland, Denmark or Sweden, would make a great way to kick off the domestic season .

Glasgow, Poole, and Manchester...

Might generate some decent coverage? 

Six man teams, 18 heats....

• Like 2