British Speedway Forum

Commitment to Future Development

At the start of the season we were told that there was a commitment to development of future British riders.

All clubs must either compete in the NDL, compete in an organised second-half competition (NJL, MDL), or run a round of the new Development Series.

Anyone failing to help the future of the sport in this country would be fined £5,000.

Below is a list of the clubs and their commitment to Development League racing.     

Are we to assume Berwick, Ipswich, King's Lynn and Plymouth are opting to take the £5,000 fine?  Or do they have plans?

Belle Vue -  National League
Berwick   -  NOTHING
Birmingham  -   MDL
Edinburgh    - National League & NJL
Glasgow     - NJL
Ipswich     -   NOTHING
King's Lynn   -  NOTHING
Leicester    - National League, MDL, & Development Series Round
Oxford       - National League
Plymouth     - NOTHING
Poole        - Development Series Round
Redcar       -  National League
Scunthorpe    - Part National League
Sheffield     - Part National League
Workington     -  NJL

• Like 1

I think Plymouth might argue that the British under 21 Semi staging should count as their contribution. It is a meeting there is no great clamour to stage and 15 of the 16 competitors were NDL riders [Ashton Boughen being the exception].

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

They might do better to encourage more MDL/NDL teams!

Making the 2nd tier an almagam of Championship Lite and NDL Plus is surely the obvious opportunity? 

One each  DU Top tier SS and HL per team and two "Rising Stars" at reserve (NDL reserve/SS standard), with at least one SS being a NDL level No1/Heat Leader..

Meaning a "top rider" (at that level), to be used as a yardstick for the developing riders, and to aid their development, plus keep the crowds interested, and (at least), 3 NDL level riders per team, giving six spaces, as a minimum, per match...

For those teams who cannot compete in the Top tier, it would be ideal, and maybe encourage a few tracks back who have left the NDL over the past five years or so...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

At the start of the season we were told that there was a commitment to development of future British riders.

All clubs must either compete in the NDL, compete in an organised second-half competition (NJL, MDL), or run a round of the new Development Series.

Anyone failing to help the future of the sport in this country would be fined £5,000.

Are we to assume Berwick, Ipswich, King's Lynn and Plymouth are opting to take the £5,000 fine?  Or do they have plans?

Berwick   -  NOTHING
Birmingham  -   MDL
Glasgow     - NJL
Ipswich     -   NOTHING
King's Lynn   -  NOTHING
Plymouth     - NOTHING
Workington     -  NJL

Until I saw them written out like that I hadn't fully realised that that's all we have left in terms of clubs in the UK.

My goodness, that's depressing. :( 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Dave Goddard said:

Until I saw them written out like that I hadn't fully realised that that's all we have left in terms of clubs in the UK.

Crumbs, you are right. I hadn't fully realised either. :o:(

1 hour ago, Dave Goddard said:

And many of them use the same riders...

Not even enough riders to run one division...

• Like 2

JOIN MONARCHS SPEEDWAY ACADEMY THIS SATURDAY!

Edinburgh are constantly trying to encourage new young folks to start riding and tomorrow they are holding an open day - details Join Monarchs Speedway Academy this Saturday! | News Centre | Edinburgh Monarchs Speedway | Official Club Website 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2024 at 9:48 PM, RoundTheBoards said:

Berwick   -  NOTHING
Birmingham  -   MDL
Glasgow     - NJL
Ipswich     -   NOTHING
King's Lynn   -  NOTHING
Plymouth     - NOTHING
Workington     -  NJL

So Berwick building and operating - as they have done since 2021 - a purpose-built training track and after-meeting training sessions at Shielfield is, in your opinion, nothing?  

Edited by George Dodds
weird multiple quotes (operator error!!)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I'd like to see the return of Junior League racing in the 2nd half of meetings... I went to the NDL series at Leicester and it was quite tedious

• Like 2