British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates Vs Plymouth Gladiators 17th July

This Coming Wednesday it's back to league action for the Pirates when they take on the Gladiators. 

It's been a stop-start season with gaps between meetings and I feel that has not helped our home form.

The track seems to go slick very quickly and I think its affecting the home riders as there is very little passing. 

This issue needs addressing as we have some important meetings coming up.

On to Wednesday and it will be interesting to see if Nico Covatti improves on his last visit,where clearly he was still struggling with his fitness.

Dan Thompson impressed me on his last visit and Ben Barker can ride well at Wimborne Road.

The Pirates top three should hopefully win the battles overall but will need to show more consistency which has been missing from the previous 2 meetings at home.

The middle order and reserves of the Gladiators which includes ex Pirate Kyle Newman should see Poole come out on top overall when they meet.

Sricking my neck out, Poole to beat the Gladiators by 10-12 points.

Thoughts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shaleshifter said:

This Coming Wednesday it's back to league action for the Pirates when they take on the Gladiators. 

It's been a stop-start season with gaps between meetings and I feel that has not helped our home form.

The track seems to go slick very quickly and I think its affecting the home riders as there is very little passing. 

On to Wednesday and it will be interesting to see if Nico Covatti improves on his last visit,where clearly he was still struggling with his fitness.

Dan Thompson impressed me on his last visit and Ben Barker can ride well at Wimborne Road.

The Pirates top three should hopefully win the battles overall but will need to show more consistency which has been missing from the previous 2 meetings at home.

The middle order and reserves of the Gladiators which includes ex Pirate Kyle Newman should see Poole come out on top overall when they meet.

Thoughts.

Yes very much looking forward to coming down to WINborne Road after another break in the fixtures. These breaks are not doing my thoughts on some aspects of the sport much good.

But anyways, Plymouth I think will offer a little bit more than last time when Covatti failed to score due to injury. That little bit more still won't be enough to trouble the Pirates though as we look to make a strong impact on the league with a win by 15 points or more to take us to the top of the league..

I feel that this time we will get off to a strong start resulting in a win by @Steve Shovlar 53-37 !

C'mon the Boyzzzz :t:

37 minutes ago, Weeyin said:

Dan Thomsonis doubtful,  he dislocatrd his shoulder during  SON 2

Drew Kemp the obvious guest if required.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Dan.

The first of 6 Pirate meetings in the rest of July. Lets hope for some consistency in the weather which should make for some better consistency in track prep.

With or without Nico Covatti/Dan Thompson (or guest/r/r)I can't see anything other than a Pirates win 54-36.

NB. Happy 18th Birthday to Vinnie Foord today! COYP.:t:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shaleshifter said:

Thoughts.

Don't know why the track can't be prepared like it was for the first match of the season, seemed to be overtaking in most heats 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

Don't know why the track can't be prepared like it was for the first match of the season, seemed to be overtaking in most heats 

I think that the rain that has fallen 24 hours before the first meeting got down into the base of the track. I also think that there was more clay content in the track on Good Friday producing a lot of grip for overtaking.

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

They said on BSN that Terry the track isn’t doing the track at the moment due to ill health so maybe that’s why. Is John hector back doing the track ? 

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

They said on BSN that Terry the track isn’t doing the track at the moment due to ill health so maybe that’s why. Is John hector back doing the track ? 

He used to love too over water it at times, so maybe 

4 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

John is not in the best of health at the mo.

• Thanks 1

Poole: Lawson, Thomsen, Cook, Cook, Brennan, Hagon and Foord

Plymouth: Covatti, Bowtell, Thompson (or facility), Newman, Barker, Thompson and Hook

as per Pirates website. Looking forward to returning to Wimborne Road, it’s been a few years since I was last there so should be a fun evening I’m sure

38 minutes ago, lbw said:

Enjoying me pre meeting flat white in me local Costa,  already suited and booted for tonight's meeting :t:

Wonder if I'll bump into a random Pirate at Waterloo again ;)

I wonder if you will bump into someone who can prepare a decent track

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lbw said:

South Western Railways prepare the worst track so that rules them out! :D

maybe they allready do it !