British Speedway Forum

Ipswich v Belle Vue Monday 15th July Live on Discovery +

I suspect that the Discovery guys had a big influence on the decision. They must save a chunk of money by not setting up all their equipment at all.

You have to feel sorry for the Promoters sometimes. The Met Office have had a yellow warning in place across Suffolk since first thing for heavy rain and potential localised flooding. What are they supposed to do?

Louis does not have a reputation for calling off meetings early, if anything, he is sometimes guilty of being overly optimistic. 

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I suspect that the Discovery guys had a big influence on the decision. They must save a chunk of money by not setting up all their equipment at all.

You have to feel sorry for the Promoters sometimes. The Met Office have had a yellow warning in place across Suffolk since first thing for heavy rain and potential localised flooding. What are they supposed to do?

Louis does not have a reputation for calling off meetings early, if anything, he is sometimes guilty of being overly optimistic. 

You’re right, we’ve run meetings this year with dodgy forecasts that haven’t quite managed to get to heat 15 because of deteriorating conditions. The decision today wouldn’t have been taken lightly and as you say, the first forecast early this morning was awful for this afternoon and evening. Those forecasts quickly changed (as they often do) but of course by then the decision was already made and it’s too late. If Discovery weren’t involved then possibly they’d have left it as another wait and see but that’s just speculation. 

Should have said to Discovery that we will hold on until later in the day before making the decision and it's up to you if you want to risk the setting up of camera's etc and ran it without them. Leaves us with no home fixture in July.

1 hour ago, Hawk127 said:

Looking at a few weather sites most are showing virtually no rain until around 21.00. Shame really but it is what it is. I am not sure what the answer is but given what was witnessed at the NSS, who is really calling the shots, the riders or the promoters? As a general point it cannot do any favours to the stadium owners either. What would you rather have as an owner, weekly stocks/bangers when you not only get rent but food/drink and parking or speedway with sixteen dates unless you make it all the way in cup and league with just income from food and drink over possibly seven months. If I were an owner I know what I would opt for and make the facility work for itself. From a supporters point of view, the stop start fixture list (not talking about postponements) cannot help with punters finding other things to do and simply no longer bothering. The tribal followers of a team have probably long gone together with the previous weekly fix that use to be the norm. All very sad.

Couldn’t agree more! A sport that is already slowly dying doesn’t need things to happen like this. It is a shame that the sport has to rely on weather. The weather in England is shocking quite frankly, my girlfriend flew over this weekend for the SoN and I told her to stay and we will watch Ipswich vs Belle Vue, (we drove from Ipswich to Manchester) she stayed and flies tomorrow. The promoters and TV can’t predict weather, granted, but it was an early call which was bad. It never said rain all over the  19:30-21:30 period on the weather map. I guess moral of the story is don’t book a flight for English speedway and rely on English weather haha! Dammit !!

2 minutes ago, Shano101 said:

Couldn’t agree more! A sport that is already slowly dying doesn’t need things to happen like this. It is a shame that the sport has to rely on weather. The weather in England is shocking quite frankly, my girlfriend flew over this weekend for the SoN and I told her to stay and we will watch Ipswich vs Belle Vue, (we drove from Ipswich to Manchester) she stayed and flies tomorrow. The promoters and TV can’t predict weather, granted, but it was an early call which was bad. It never said rain all over the  19:30-21:30 period on the weather map. I guess moral of the story is don’t book a flight for English speedway and rely on English weather haha! Dammit !!

I think the moral of the story is don’t believe speedway is a summer sport. Shame for you and your girlfriend, I hope she enjoyed the SON. Not sure what it is like in Ipswich but just east of Colchester, bone dry, no rain and some intermittent evening sunshine. Back in the day of Sky ports, when the cameras were in town, the club would do its utmost to get the meeting on. Perhaps now with Eurosport they charge for turning up and no club is willing to take the risk. I cannot think why else it is called off so early these days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

"A sport that is already slowly dying "

Ther'e no slowly about it matey ...... fewer fixtures than ever nowadays.  

Just to think it used to be weekly sport.  Is it right that this was the only fixture in July for Ipswich ???? 

Home fixture yes.

31 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

"A sport that is already slowly dying "

Ther'e no slowly about it matey ...... fewer fixtures than ever nowadays.  

Just to think it used to be weekly sport.  Is it right that this was the only fixture in July for Ipswich ???? 

Not compared to what it use to be. The trouble is if the facility becomes under used ESC will jump on this will limit the number of race days further and it could become unviable. NIMBYs will have won.

As far as I can see, the earliest re-staging of this fixture is Monday 9th September. I wonder if this was taken into account.

1 hour ago, Hawk127 said:

I think the moral of the story is don’t believe speedway is a summer sport. Shame for you and your girlfriend, I hope she enjoyed the SON. Not sure what it is like in Ipswich but just east of Colchester, bone dry, no rain and some intermittent evening sunshine. Back in the day of Sky ports, when the cameras were in town, the club would do its utmost to get the meeting on. Perhaps now with Eurosport they charge for turning up and no club is willing to take the risk. I cannot think why else it is called off so early these days.

Yeah that’s true! There isn’t a summer in England nowadays anyway!  Yes I’m gutted she would have loved to seen Ipswich as a polish fan and only seeing Ipswich on TV. SoN was actually great (maybe as we won) although she didn’t appreciate the Zmarzlik DQ! She was also shocked about the empty temp stand but as soon as I told her it was £80 a seat she soon realised why. Back to Ipswich, it’s a shame tonight isn’t on and maybe the TV may look at this again negatively due to the fact they must fill a spot now and can’t guarantee TV scheduling, who knows what the future holds for this sport but I hope a bright one. I would however be frustrated as a forgeign rider if I flew over to see so many meetings cancelled and getting straight back on the plane home! Must make riders who fly from Poland think twice about signing for a season?

19 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

"As far as I can see, the earliest re-staging of this fixture is Monday 9th September. I wonder if this was taken into account. "

Thought Ippo normally raced on Thursdays ?  BV are a Monday club so why run it on a Monday ? 

He's probably looking at  all the Mondays and Thursdays either team are riding. I've know BV are riding twice a week for next few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Siggytastic said:

Should have said to Discovery that we will hold on until later in the day before making the decision and it's up to you if you want to risk the setting up of camera's etc and ran it without them. Leaves us with no home fixture in July.

I don't think that you understand the money involved and the contractual arrangements.

38 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

"As far as I can see, the earliest re-staging of this fixture is Monday 9th September. I wonder if this was taken into account. "

Thought Ippo normally raced on Thursdays ?  BV are a Monday club so why run it on a Monday ? 

Because we don’t have any available Thursdays left up until the play offs.