British Speedway Forum

5.7.2024 - Scunthorpe vs Glasgow

42 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Because he was on a "false average".... As an engineer who has an extreme soft spot for maths I F'ing hate that term, unless it is an Assessed average it is a true indication of a riders performance. It's done over 20 meetings so it is a pretty good indication of what you'd expect to see from his results.

An average gives the actual performance but not the reasons for the performance which should be taken into account. Look at Claus, unhappy at Brum in 2022 we signed him for 2023 on a 5.00 and he finished with 6.24. Just going by raw figures infered above we would never have signed him. Manipulating the average system to find riders who will outperform theirs is the name of the game, and increases the likelihood of success.

I think that was the thinking behind Starkey though its not worked. He started on unreliable equipment, appeared to lose his confidence and is trying to turn it round having acquired newer kit. I may have read he had a new baby recently and could be wrong, but if true is always a drain on parents energy. I hope he can turn it round but Im not sure, by only riding the CL we've barely had any fixtures especially at home the last 2 months and thats never good either.

Between him and JP its hard to pick up heat advantages on the road, and when our heatleaders are being outgunned like last night, it becomes a difficult watch.

4 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I've never understood the "well past his best"  argument against signing Starke. Of course he's well past his best, otherwise he'd be on a 7 point average & wouldn't have fitted in the team.

Now if you said, couldn't understand it, because no-one saw him improving his average, that would be a fair point.

I could argue Chris Harris, Sam Masters & Ben Barker are "well past their best" don't get many complaints about their signings lol!

Like you say you have never understood”well past his best”.

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I've never understood the "well past his best"  argument against signing Starke. Of course he's well past his best, otherwise he'd be on a 7 point average & wouldn't have fitted in the team.

Now if you said, couldn't understand it, because no-one saw him improving his average, that would be a fair point.

I could argue Chris Harris, Sam Masters & Ben Barker are "well past their best" don't get many complaints about their signings lol!

You obviously don't go on twitter then! There is at least one Oxford fan that moans about Masters especially if he doesn't pass anyone when he doesn't gate. 

2 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Well let's reward the guy who's put almost 2 points on his average by dropping him?? Guys won us two meetings when we've been utter garbage.:rofl:

Replacement wise for 4 points you can only get a non Brit who has never raced in the UK, or at any level in Poland..... So i'd probably stick with the guys that's scoring well round ashfield 

“If required”. I didn’t say replace him when his average changes? 

His form has exceeded everyone’s expectations and if he continues in the current form and we have a decent replacement for Starke, we won’t be in bad shape. 

1 hour ago, MD said:

An average gives the actual performance but not the reasons for the performance which should be taken into account. Look at Claus, unhappy at Brum in 2022 we signed him for 2023 on a 5.00 and he finished with 6.24. Just going by raw figures infered above we would never have signed him. Manipulating the average system to find riders who will outperform theirs is the name of the game, and increases the likelihood of success.

I would say it had more to do with the riding position  Claus had at Birmingham which probably made him less than enthusiastic leading to  his average dropping quickly??  he built his 2021 average up over 8 riding at #3 for Glasgow as opposed to Birmingham's #1. He then came back to Glasgow and built his average back up riding at #4.

Additionally 2022 averages were based over 10 meetings, so having a cheeky 1 or 2 point meeting could get a big average down quicker. 2023 and 2024 it's based on 20 meetings so takes a lot longer to influence.

Starkes 22' and 23' seasons were done from riding at 2 and 3/4. So bringing him in on a 4 sticking him in at 4  and expecting a massive improvement was always going to be a far stretch.

• Like 1