British Speedway Forum

Stars v Lions 1st July

11 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I can assure you there were hailstones at about 5pm.

I entered the stadium at 5.43 and the track was waterlogged.

The rain then eased for around 10-minutes before it started to rain again quite steadily.

The referee, both team managers & both team captains agreed that the track was to waterlogged to contemplate trying to race.

That decision was taken at approximately 6.40 with the gates still closed, and to the best of my knowledge, no tickets sold.

When I left the stadium just after 7.10 the rain had eased, and by the time I got to the hospital roundabout, you could see there hadn't been so much rain there.

I stopped posting on this site a long time ago, due to the nonsense that the majority of people post on here, without really knowing the facts.

But I took the decision to post this time so as to let people know there could be a problem, but I wasted my time by some, as I was evidently at Mildenhall.

What a stupid comment to make.

The photos of the track must have been taken some days ago then... I've seen many waterlogged tracks and that track was not waterlogged

Edited by iainb

I was there too. It was still raining 15 minutes after the call off, and then eased off as I drove out of the car park.

A someone else has already said, I went there to see 15 heats of racing, not riders negotiating their way round similar to Gorzow early heats on Saturday.

Correct decision IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I was there too. It was still raining 15 minutes after the call off, and then eased off as I drove out of the car park.

A someone else has already said, I went there to see 15 heats of racing, not riders negotiating their way round similar to Gorzow early heats on Saturday.

Correct decision IMO.

We'll never know will we as nobody could be arsed to lift a finger to do anything with a far from waterlogged track. The sport is finished at King's Lynn

Was raining all the way home to south of Norwich. I was probably stupid to even think it was going to be on. Got as far as East Winch and roads were wet with constant rain / drizzle. If it had been on would have been cr@p 'racing' on very poor track.

Appears to have been correct call, goes with the territory of speedway occasionally, so don't really understand why people moan.

• Like 2

It also rained here from about 6pm until at least 11pm last night with about 10minutes where it had stopped,still raining this morning.BBC weather got it right for a change,they do have it as a decent day Thursday so hopefully we will get to see Freddie do his stuff on the track then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tellboy said:

Well there was according to someone at the track.

the track is about 2 miles outside of Lynn - yes there were hailstones at the track

2 hours ago, startline sid said:

the track is about 2 miles outside of Lynn - yes there were hailstones at the track

I don't think anybody is disputing that they had some rain (or hailstones). What I dispute is that the track was in no condition to race or couldn't have been had some work been carried out on it. 

Doesn't matter though... just more fans driven away from a dying club

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't think anybody is disputing that they had some rain (or hailstones). What I dispute is that the track was in no condition to race or couldn't have been had some work been carried out on it. 

Doesn't matter though... just more fans driven away from a dying club

I put it down to a night in 2022, when Sheffied were in town. Fans and riders in, and the rain came down before tapes up. After waiting until it stopped Buster went out on track to do his thing, for about an hour. Some riders obviously still didn't fancy it was called off around 9PM, by i presume the Ref.. That was the night Buster took to the mic, and said he had had enough, and the club was up for sale... He was already thinking about retiring, and things for whatever reason haven't gone well since. 

• Like 1