British Speedway Forum

Glasgow v Plymouth - 28/06

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Average meeting by Ashfield standards, and now onto another 3 week break before the next home meeting.

Which is followed by 3 home meetings then another 3 week break.

Think I'd rather we ran all our fixtures and the season finished in July or early August when the weather is at its best than drag out this nonsense and suffer rain offs, slick tracks and poor racing in Sep/Oct. There is also freezing your nuts off for 2 hours on the terracing, not that the customer experience is ever a factor.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MD said:

Which is followed by 3 home meetings then another 3 week break.

Think I'd rather we ran all our fixtures and the season finished in July or early August when the weather is at its best than drag out this nonsense and suffer rain offs, slick tracks and poor racing in Sep/Oct. There is also freezing your nuts off for 2 hours on the terracing, not that the customer experience is ever a factor.

The biggest issue with that is, most of the teams we have left to race are also Friday tracks.

This is another advantage of the Premiership, as they have two protected days.

The more this season goes on, the more I come round to the idea of the Premiership setup, even if I prefer the Championship teams/tracks.

48 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

The biggest issue with that is, most of the teams we have left to race are also Friday tracks.

This is another advantage of the Premiership, as they have two protected days.

The more this season goes on, the more I come round to the idea of the Premiership setup, even if I prefer the Championship teams/tracks.

Its definitely a factor but not the sole one, prior to last week we had no home meetings for 6 weeks and there are a further 6 weeks free to the end of August.

2 minutes ago, MD said:

Its definitely a factor but not the sole one, prior to last week we had no home meetings for 6 weeks and there are a further 6 weeks free to the end of August.

It’s quite difficult to figure out the fixture planning for the Championship.IMO.

It's no better in the Premiership, we haven't had a home meeting since the 27th of May!! With the next not due until the 4th of July. Whoever draws these fixtures up needs their head examining. 

The Plymouth riders were complaining about the lack of fixtures last night on BSN.

52 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Only 8 home league meetings a season is criminal.

It is and add in the watering down the product points limit they seem to be trying there best to pi$$ as many people off as possible.

Now I may be wrong but I always thought that you offer a product that entices your paying customers to attend regularly , currently the lack off regular meetings alongside a  lesser quality league structure is not exactly good business sense , this lies firmly at the door of the BSPL and the promotions must be questioning their decision making.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

It is and add in the watering down the product points limit they seem to be trying there best to pi$$ as many people off as possible.

Now I may be wrong but I always thought that you offer a product that entices your paying customers to attend regularly , currently the lack off regular meetings alongside a  lesser quality league structure is not exactly good business sense , this lies firmly at the door of the BSPL and the promotions must be questioning their decision making.

Agree 100%. Facenna’s have built up a good support over the last couple of years,now they see about a dozen meetings a season.Must be Frustrating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lewy said:

I've not read all the comments but surely the simplest thing to do is 2 home and 2 away no mickey mouse cup comps regular fixtures or am I missing something :drink:

Don’t talk sense it’s not allowed on this forum.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lewy said:

I've not read all the comments but surely the simplest thing to do is 2 home and 2 away no mickey mouse cup comps regular fixtures or am I missing something :drink:

The only thing you're missing is the promoters' agreement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

Allegedly it was only GLA and Poole who voted against lowering the points limit to 38. It will rise next year as it has to, as many lower and middle order riders from last season will have upped their averages due to the overall lower standard of rider this year.

So it'll largely be the same calibre of rider next year under the illusion of an increased points limit.

Twice home and away would be much better, we can still run against the other Friday clubs on our alternate night.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lewy said:

Whoever thought this seasons format was a good idea needs hunted .

The whole structure of fixtures or lack off is a shambles.

I nominate your good self to oversee fixture planning next season as the trained chimpanzee who oversaw this season’s has made a James Hunt of it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MD said:

Allegedly it was only GLA and Poole who voted against lowering the points limit to 38. It will rise next year as it has to, as many lower and middle order riders from last season will have upped their averages due to the overall lower standard of rider this year.

So it'll largely be the same calibre of rider next year under the illusion of an increased points limit.

Twice home and away would be much better, we can still run against the other Friday clubs on our alternate night.

I saw somewhere that Glasgow & Poole were the only two opposed to it , might have been on here , think the be careful what you wish for apples here.

Very many good riders worked and raced in the 80s 90s and early 2000s.So wouldn't be too bad for the sides who sadly don't have the infrastructure to compete hence the reason averages are dropped every year to keep them competitive 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lewy said:

Again you have used common sense which goes against any sort of reality that the bspl work on.

The argument in 2023 was that clubs that had NDL leagues couldn't get the track times required to run the additional meetings.

2024 excuse had something to do with lack of unicorn horns or pixie dust.

What will be the excuse for 2025 be.

Glasgow have invested in television advertising which I've spotted on sky sports a couple of times but what use is it when we have 2 home meetings in and 8 week period, it's absolute nonsense.

For the teams that don't make the playoffs this year, there will a 7 month period of absolutely nothing. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

For the teams that don't make the playoffs this year, there will a 7 month period of absolutely nothing. 

Is that including the 1 month mid season shut down?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, alta said:

Very many good riders worked and raced in the 80s 90s and early 2000s.So wouldn't be too bad for the sides who sadly don't have the infrastructure to compete hence the reason averages are dropped every year to keep them competitive 

One of the main reasons has been to protect the Premiership and its TV deal by creating demarcation between the two leagues i.e. diluting the CL.

This year there are more big name riders than for a long number of years but there was a time just before and after Covid that some of the PL teams were just Championship riders.

• Like 1