British Speedway Forum

Oxford Vs Workington June 26 2024

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Can anyone suggest who to bring in that would be better than sam or celina?

Why not give Jody Scott a go? I know it was his 'home' track, but he was a different level to both of them last night. He's also averaging 9.92 in the NDL, as opposed to McGurk's 6.67.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 1

It was a disappointing meeting last night, and casual fans attending last night probably thought it was a joke that it was 1st vs 2nd in the league with our performance.

Cookie proved that he is a master of throttle control, had the bike working perfectly on bends 3/4 but none of our other riders could adapt.

Nothing lost though, the bonus point was never going to be achievable. Oxford are a very strong team at home.

As for changes at reserve, it’s a must now. Sam’s confidence must be shot, he’s not even banging in scores in a weak NDL to keep something going.

Last night Sam rode like it was his first time on a bike, that might sound harsh with difficult track conditions, but this is professional speedway now not NDL.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but there’s a better 2 point rider working in the Comets pits! From what I saw of him guesting at Redcar he’s slowly improving and could fill a gap until the end of the season.

I don’t think signing Jody Scott is realistic, but would like to be proved wrong.

Probably not a lot of options for a 4 point reserve, but still think Celina has something to give especially at home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Haha. I agree the track was rubbish (which is very unusual by the way), but to not say the best team won is hilarious. Cook saved you from getting an absolute spanking.

okay , tell you what i will do . i will buy an Oxford stream v ?  when you get back from your team break and see if the track staff can turn dust into a raceable track .   the COMmEnTS i made about the best team won . the beat teams dont always win . is it 3/4/5 weeks till the next champ meeting ?

1 hour ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Haha. I agree the track was rubbish (which is very unusual by the way), but to not say the best team won is hilarious. Cook saved you from getting an absolute spanking.

oopps  , posted twice . dust in my computer .

Edited by j2ohh

Didn’t watch the stream last night, mainly due to the fact I pretty much seen what was coming. Reserves are what’s costing us and will only continue costing us valuable points if changes aren’t made. There’s so much added pressure onto Sam due to the fact his reserve partner is well below par. Was all for giving her a chance but nothings changing. Getting rid of Sam isn’t the right decision, he’s young and learning. Getting rid of Celina and finding someone who can actually score points and take the pressure off Sam, is the right decision.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Current form Matt Marson would be worth a look. Nearly 2 points higher average than McGurk at the same NDL track and far more technically gifted. 

Sonny Springer look very impressive at Poole last night 

22 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

no rush for silverware out first year in the league 

Och it’s sport back the wee riders 

i am all for giving Celina and Sam a good length of time to get a wee bit of form , but if we are to try and grab silverware , we need to act now.. next season we will lose out when it comes to teambuilding for 2025 . tate ad anntti will have higher averages and we will kick ourselves for not doing it now  .

sorry for being a grump ., but thats how i see it . not moaning , just a heads up .Max Perry ?

4 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Why not give Jody Scott a go? I know it was his 'home' track, but he was a different level to both of them last night. He's also averaging 9.92 in the NDL, as opposed to McGurk's 6.67.

Jody might be staying at Oxford if the rumours about Atkins are true.

Sam never really gated well last season but looked good catching and passing riders. The difference this season of course is that they’re better class riders in front of him and when he doesn’t gate so he’s not catching them. Would like to see him improve and stay but….

Edited by comet49
Inserted word
  • Like 1

Celina can certainly ride the bike it's her gating it's terrible she goes up rather than forward most races. Then keeps pace generally with the others.

Sam has no confidence no point carrying him give someone else a go.

• Like 1

Yes the reserves are a weakness,  but as been said who is available to replace them ? The comets have only just returned to the championship,  imo this is a year to find our feet and be competitive,  which we are doing at home, away slightly different,  but we have speedway back enjoy the journey and in future we may have a more balanced side with reserves who can score some points,  remember the comets did not get accepted to the league till mid November,  all other teams already had their sides sorted, so comets got shafted by Godfrey and Co 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Yes the reserves are a weakness,  but as been said who is available to replace them ? The comets have only just returned to the championship,  imo this is a year to find our feet and be competitive,  which we are doing at home, away slightly different,  but we have speedway back enjoy the journey and in future we may have a more balanced side with reserves who can score some points,  remember the comets did not get accepted to the league till mid November,  all other teams already had their sides sorted, so comets got shafted by Godfrey and Co 

Yes they are very weak, but it was the management committee who decided to weaken the league to such an extent, that all clubs have got Development league riders in their teams this season .

Sam McGurk is not the only rider struggling. Poole have struggled for a No7. Trigger up until last week hadn’t pulled up too many trees. Berwick's Young reserve is struggling, Edinburgh 's reserves are up and down. The young lad at Glasgow looks out of his depth.

In all truth a lot of these boys should not be riding in the championship, all it's doing is draining them of there confidence. Nine times out of ten they only score points off of each other or if a 1-5 rider has an e/f or falls! The management committee voted for it, no doubt to save money. So it is them and not the young lads, fans should be moaning at.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tyler42 said:

Yes they are very weak, but it was the management committee who decided to weaken the league to such an extent, that all clubs have got Development league riders in their teams this season .

Sam McGurk is not the only rider struggling. Poole have struggled for a No7. Trigger up until last week hadn’t pulled up too many trees. Berwick's Young reserve is struggling, Edinburgh 's reserves are up and down. The young lad at Glasgow looks out of his depth.

In all truth a lot of these boys should not be riding in the championship, all it's doing is draining them of there confidence. Nine times out of ten they only score points off of each other or if a 1-5 rider has an e/f or falls! The management committee voted for it, no doubt to save money. So it is them and not the young lads, fans should be moaning at.

good post

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Current form Matt Marson would be worth a look. Nearly 2 points higher average than McGurk at the same NDL track and far more technically gifted. 

Same ndl track ones at belle vue ones at Edinburgh

Edited by mc131
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, tyler42 said:

Looks like the Championship will have to reduce in strength to provide a platform for these youngsters to establish themselves as the NDL is no longer viable. So perhaps it is not that some of these kids shouldn't be riding in the Championship but that some of the top riders should be moving on up.

• Like 2