British Speedway Forum

FIM Woman's Speedway Gold Trophy

Celina Liebmann winning this was probably even more of a sure thing than Bartosz winning the Grand Prix series.

Maybe the apathy was because men and women compete together in speedway, so having a competition for women only makes it quite a low level competition and little more than a novelty.

I think there must be a lot more enjoyment in watching Celina trying to take points off men in the Championship than watching her beat women who (presumably) are nowhere close to her level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I think there must be a lot more enjoyment in watching Celina trying to take points off men in the Championship than watching her beat women who (presumably) are nowhere close to her level.

Ah, but if she was transgender, then...

21 minutes ago, andout said:

Oh no Chunky.....don't go down that path!!!!:o:lol:

If I don't, somebody else will!

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Ah, but if she was transgender, then...

A good thing about speedway is that men and women compete equally so whether or not someone is transgender is irrelevant.

Or at least it should be!

So, presumably, there would be no issue with a transgender woman competing in this as they are still equal competitors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

Celina Liebmann winning this was probably even more of a sure thing than Bartosz winning the Grand Prix series.

Maybe the apathy was because men and women compete together in speedway, so having a competition for women only makes it quite a low level competition and little more than a novelty.

I think that your post does Celina a great disservice. There are separate men and women competitions in most other sports so why not speedway?

She is clearly a pioneer leading the way for women in a male dominated sport and deserves all the credit for the hard work and dedication that she is putting in to her chosen sport.

As for your presumption that all other female riders are 'nowhere close to her level' then you do a disservice to the other 10 riders from six countries (including two British riders) who took part in the meeting yesterday and aspire to be successful in speedway.

FIM Speedway - News - GERMAN HERO LIEBMANN LANDS FIRST-EVER FIM WOMEN’S SPEEDWAY GOLD TROPHY

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

So, presumably, there would be no issue with a transgender woman competing in this as they are still equal competitors.

If only that were true...

4 hours ago, bigdave said:

I think that your post does Celina a great disservice. There are separate men and women competitions in most other sports so why not speedway?

She is clearly a pioneer leading the way for women in a male dominated sport and deserves all the credit for the hard work and dedication that she is putting in to her chosen sport.

As for your presumption that all other female riders are 'nowhere close to her level' then you do a disservice to the other 10 riders from six countries (including two British riders) who took part in the meeting yesterday and aspire to be successful in speedway.

FIM Speedway - News - GERMAN HERO LIEBMANN LANDS FIRST-EVER FIM WOMEN’S SPEEDWAY GOLD TROPHY

Personally I don't think I'm doing them a disservice. To me, I'm actually doing the opposite.

They compete equal to men, so can be judged in that way.

It's not the same as, say, tennis or swimming, where the physical dofferences between male and female mean they have to compete separately.

If I did a disservice to the other riders by assuming they weren't at her level then, in my defence, I did say 'presumably' as I don't know much about them.

Having said that, Celina was unbeaten all meeting and that is what I, for one, expected.

And if you think I'm somehow having a go at her, I should point out that she's probably my favourite rider at the moment and one of the few likely to get me to part with money and actually go to a meeting 

• Like 2

Celina is by far & away the most talented female rider we currently have in speedway & I agree this is an easy win for her but it's not just about her or the event. These females all had a chance to be coached by some of the worlds best as well as competing against other females. Paddy Erhart is possibly the nearest female challenger to Celina at this point. we can only hope that the group will expand as this event moves forward.

On 6/23/2024 at 8:53 AM, secsy1 said:

With the apathy shown by the British Speedway Supporters, just thought I would give the Women a well deserved mention.

Well done Rachel and Katie, superb effort.

FIM Womens Speedway Gold Trophy.jpg

There was already a thread on Speedway GP and World cup section started last Wednesday with line-up, live updates link and result.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

There was already a thread on Speedway GP and World cup section started last Wednesday with line-up, live updates link and result.

Why? It was neither Speedway GP or World Cup... surely it should have been posted under the International World of Speedway section :P

50 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why? It was neither Speedway GP or World Cup... surely it should have been posted under the International World of Speedway section :P

I decided that as it was in effect a Women’s world final then that was the best place for it. It didn’t stop 508 people finding it 

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 11:08 AM, Grachan said:

I do agree with you but Celina is in a no win situation here (apart from the meeting). She is being used as an "inclusive" box ticking exercise by the Workington promotion and the FIM when it's suits them. She's nowhere near the same standard as Championship middle order riders but at the same time she is far too good for the other female riders. I've nothing against a lady riders World Championship but it is simply a novelty meeting.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I do agree with you but Celina is in a no win situation here (apart from the meeting). She is being used as an "inclusive" box ticking exercise by the Workington promotion and the FIM when it's suits them. She's nowhere near the same standard as Championship middle order riders but at the same time she is far too good for the other female riders. I've nothing against a lady riders World Championship but it is simply a novelty meeting.  

Hardly a novelty meeting ! The FIM for 2 days in Teterow held a Women’s academy with tuition from Greg Hancock. Ok there was only 11 riders of the required standard to take part in the Gold Trophy but iis it’s 1st year, so hopefully 16 riders will take part in 2025.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I think you are getting yourself in a twist here. Why does she have to be near the same standard as Championship middle order riders, when she was employed at reserve ? Aren't there a good few riders that have been in teams for years that aren't going to be middle order riders, or at least not in the first of second season ? Some struggle a bit at first. I don't even think Celina has struggled too much before she started picking up points.

• Like 2

Just a thought  !

What if Bartosz decided that he really wants to transition gender wise ? As there is a separate female competition would he then be able to double his trophies and monies by competing in both?    ;)