British Speedway Forum

Aces v Lions

59 minutes ago, iainb said:

I go and get a free coffee every week from Greggs, as I used to have my energy supplied by Octopus and they give me a code every week, even though I left them months ago they still haven't closed my account down!

There's no way I'd go and pay £2 for a coffee every week even though I do enjoy my freebie. It's just too much trouble and I don't feel I'm massively missing out by not having my coffee

I have found from long experience of working in money and running businesses that humans can be complicated when it comes to parting with money - many will see the value in spending money on something i wouldn't even consider but baulk at the idea of speanding it on something I would happily do so. My company last year employed a young lady (17 y/o) to do some PT data entry etc she was paid a decent £11 an hour - and she would happily spend a weeks wages of that on getting her nails / eyelashes done!

I used to have a perks scheme at my work where you could get a free cafe nero coffee every week or month i forget now - but to be honest i would often not use it because i was either lazy or preferred the coffee in Starbucks. I bought 4 pints for my mates (yes I have them) on friday that cost me £23 - about the same as a speedway match - i happily spend that - however i no longer go to league football as I don't consider it value for money any more at £45 or more, yet each week thousands do spend that! Oddly however when i go up to Edinburgh to see my lad I go to Tynecastle and watch Hearts as often its only £20-25 for a ticket which i consder much more reasonable to pay. Again its about the same as a speedway match

Some people place great value of things that cost money - some will happily take in a free speedway match simply cos it was free but not pay if they have to - I always get slightly annoyed when people say oh its free great  - nothing is free it always costs something somewhere to someone!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Very entertaining meeting with some cracking racing. Another concerning crowd on the face of it though which is a worry for UK speedway in general.

I think this is largely as the fans stay away when the TV cameras are in town, I go to Owlerton 4-5 times per season and about the same to Ipswich and the crowds when say BV or Leicester are in Sheffield are usually really good the home straight is largely packed as is the grandstand and usually a very healthly spread on the 3rd and 4th bend. Its never easy to say what the crowd is as no promotion releases figures but easy 2-3k which doesnt match Poland but does Sweden. I would say Ipswich get a decent 2k or so maybe more when it was Peterborough last season or Kings Lynn.

• Like 1

Although this was a better showing from the Lions I’m pretty sure Dickson is trying to line up his next team change (if he hasn’t already). I would think that Becker is the one looking over his shoulder. Change for change sake though is not the answer (unless he has issues with a rider). The reserve changes he has made have made no difference. Still think that Kemp will score more points over a season than Craig Cook.

4 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

An excellent meeting with some very good racing on what looked like a well prepared track.

Shame about the crowd but very entertaining nevertheless.

I think that there may be a football thing going on that will effect a lot of meetings?

1 hour ago, Teromaafan said:

Although this was a better showing from the Lions I’m pretty sure Dickson is trying to line up his next team change (if he hasn’t already). I would think that Becker is the one looking over his shoulder. Change for change sake though is not the answer (unless he has issues with a rider). The reserve changes he has made have made no difference. Still think that Kemp will score more points over a season than Craig Cook.

Given his recent problems, it could be that Craig Cook is finding the extra workload and higher level to be too much for him. He started the season in great style for Worky, but since taking on the Oxford/Leicester jobs hasn't been as dominant in the CL and is clearly struggling in the PL. Maybe better for him to revert to focus on Worky. 

14 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Yes the racing was good tonight. Just a shame the promotion forgot to open the gates.

Yes seems strange, we get massive crowds every week, but supposedly crap racing, were as Belle Vue get crap crowds and good racing 

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Track staff 100/100 too..

A Hot day, and they nailed it...

Not many could have delivered that level of surface...

Only had to look at the dust bowl down the road at Birmingham 

15 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Good race heat 13 but the crowd….gods waiting room. Dont they know how to cheer? Chalk and cheese to Poole’s grandstand where the roof would have come off. 

And a terrible crowd there. A few hundred?

Typical reply, from a bitter sounding tier two Poole fan. I thought the racing was excellent myself, and i doubt if many would disagree, apart from some Poole fans of course. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Oh yes there was 

Definately wasn't, i was there, but don't let facts get in the way of your story. And no, i'm not a Birmingham fan.

Edited by Trackrat

It was a decent match to watch.

Fricke was pretty sensational but the Lions are pretty woeful. The Aces got 4 points thru RR and yet the Lions still couldn’t or didn’t look likely of winning.

Masters was woefully slow until his 3rd ride whilst Becker has gone backwards this season.

They need another top gun to go with Fricke and sacrifice lower down or it’s a dog fight to make the top 4.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Typical reply, from a bitter sounding tier two Poole fan. I thought the racing was excellent myself, and i doubt if many would disagree, apart from some Poole fans of course. 

I don't think he was complaining about the racing, just the crowd 

11 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

I don't think he was complaining about the racing, just the crowd 

He did redeem himself  a tad after posting... "Good race heat 13 but the crowd"

And later on after someone called him out... "Yes the racing was good tonight. Just a shame the promotion forgot to open the gates." 

Still a very bitter sounding Poole fan imho.

Edited by Bald Bloke

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

Yes seems strange, we get massive crowds every week, but supposedly crap racing, were as Belle Vue get crap crowds and good racing 

Oxford get bigger crowds than Poole AND better racing. But we don't bleat on about it all the time!

• Like 2

The crowd was very poor. No denying that. Hopefully just a one off as they have been decent. 

1 hour ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Oxford get bigger crowds than Poole AND better racing. But we don't bleat on about it all the time!

Probably bigger crowds if you put the Premiership, Championship and National league crowds together :party: