British Speedway Forum

Oxford vs Poole 19th June Championship

Looking to go at least a point better than their last visit the Pirates will arrive at Sandy Lane full of confidence as they remain unbeaten in the league.

Sadly Tobias will miss this meeting due to an ankle injury but the good news is he will be back sooner with the injury now being diagnosed as a sprain.  Joe Thompson takes his place.

Oxford also have a guest in Jacob Hook but the rest of the team lines up as usual with big hitters Sam Masters & Scott Nicholls leading the way. Ashton Boughen has been in better form of late but Pirates have newly crowned British Under 21 Champion Sam Hagon aiming to put his track knowledge to good use to get the better of his opposite number.

C'mon the Boyzzzz :t:

Screenshot_20240617-174635_1.png

Edited by lbw
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Will be interesting to see what the crowd size is like for this after the Ipswich refund debacle. I normally go with four other people, but two of them aren't coming this time as a result of that.

How much of a discount is being given? 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Why should there be reductions/discounts for a 'top' Championship meeting when the abandonment was for a Premiership fixture? Just asking.........

Because many Oxford fans are disgruntled at the refund given, myself included. I've decided to suck it up and keep going, but I know at least two people who are boycotting because of it. 

And I'm not sure why you think there's a difference between Championship and Premiership when it comes to this? Do you think there are Cheetahs fans that don't support the Spires, and vice versa?

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Why should there be reductions/discounts for a 'top' Championship meeting when the abandonment was for a Premiership fixture? Just asking.........

I think fans who feel Oxford have "robbed" them would stay away. They wouldn't be expecting money off this match, but feel let down by the promotion due to the refund for a future Premiership match.

From a PR point of view, the £4 refund is probably the first 'mis-step' by the Oxford promotion since the return of speedway to Cowley. I think most Oxford fans, and indeed visiting supporters, would agree that running not 1, not 2, but 3 racing teams deserves enormous credit. Speedway at Oxford is presented with great enthusiasm and professionalism, and this is appreciated by the fans. But I have to say when I read my email about the refund my immediate thought was "This won't go down well".  

• Like 2

Its not Oxfords first foray into starting meetings either in the wet or leaving it far too late to call off when the forecasts are incredibly poor. I do appreciate that forecasts can be wonderfully unpredictable but i feel having boxed themselves in with multiple teams and therefore limited fixture days Oxford will always push on with fixtures even if it looks unwise, perhaps its a risk they are just willing to take.  

2 hours ago, Chairboy said:

From a PR point of view, the £4 refund is probably the first 'mis-step' by the Oxford promotion since the return of speedway to Cowley. I think most Oxford fans, and indeed visiting supporters, would agree that running not 1, not 2, but 3 racing teams deserves enormous credit. Speedway at Oxford is presented with great enthusiasm and professionalism, and this is appreciated by the fans. But I have to say when I read my email about the refund my immediate thought was "This won't go down well".  

Glasgow gave the same discount after their meeting with Berwick which also got abandoned after heat six.  While this is in line with the standard BSPL terms and conditions, it's derisory and badly needs updating/ upgrading. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Glasgow gave the same discount after their meeting with Berwick which also got abandoned after heat six.  While this is in line with the standard BSPL terms and conditions, it's derisory and badly needs updating/ upgrading. 

To late for 3 first time visitors who attended the Glasgow meeting 

• Like 2

The standard refund is pretty rubbish. I also suspect the league had a word with promoters who were more generous and told them not to, but I might be wrong.

It's also a great reason for fans who can, to get a season ticket. It's possibly the best reason to get one, not having to worry about this kind of thing!

37 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

The standard refund is pretty rubbish. I also suspect the league had a word with promoters who were more generous and told them not to, but I might be wrong.

It's also a great reason for fans who can, to get a season ticket. It's possibly the best reason to get one, not having to worry about this kind of thing!

Doubt the league are too bothered about it. You need to be at every meeting covered by a season ticket to come out marginally ahead, so its a minor benefit but one that doesn't happen every year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noelinho said:

Not sure that works with Oxford. Oxford's season ticket Ts&Cs states that it's only 'valid for all 28 scheduled home fixtures'. The wording makes it sound like the Ipswich re-staging won't be included.

Edited by Bojangles

3 hours ago, Noelinho said:

I also suspect the league had a word with promoters who were more generous and told them not to, but I might be wrong.

i know that happened a few years ago with Kings Lynn when Buster gave refunds, believe he got a big slap on the wrist

Really looking forward to tonight''s meeting at Sandy Lane as I drink me pre-meeting flat white in me local Costa.

This will be my 4th visit (incl. one rain off) of the season to Oxford where I always enjoy the racing and this time the Pirates will hopefully be the winners in what I expect to be a closely hard fought contest.

Mind yers the Poole side is more like a Pirates/Lions select side with Lawson, Hagon, Thompson (Cubs) & Foord (Cubs). Certainly gives the Pirates plenty of roar! :D

Me score-ometer reads a Pirates victory 47-43 to really get a hold on the play offs. 

If anyone can we can 

C'mon the Boyzzzz :t:

• Like 1