British Speedway Forum

Oxford v Witches 13th June

6 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

As for the new trend to call it off early based on forecasts, I applaud clubs for this, it surely saves a lot of time and expense all round.

Yes, but whose forecast? Look at the forecast for today, heavy showers across the country, Redcar are riding tonight, they could cop a heavy shower at anytime. Should they be allowed to cancel? Some clubs would and have in the past. I got stung at Scunny on Good Friday by an isolated shower that hit the stadium minutes before start time, sometimes you're just going to get unlucky and we as travelling fans have to accept that. But I do think more could be done by the authorities to streamline the decision making in such circumstances instead of us fans having to 2nd guess the promotions all of the time.

In hindsight Leicester got it absolutely spot on yesterday and when a band of rain is crossing the country it's a much easier decision to make.

Edited by iainb

If every meeting was called off at the mere hint of rain then not much speedway would run at all in the UK. Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes it doesn't. That's the nature of a weather dependent sport in a country with generally unsettled weather.

Forecasts are frequently incorrect and often different forecasters offer completely contradictory forecasts. Oxford gave it a good go last night and if the rain had held off for just another 30 or 45 minutes then the meeting would likely have completed without issue. That's the way it goes.

The better question might be how can bikes or tyres be adapted to better cope in wet/icy conditions?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SpeedwaySlider72 said:

If every meeting was called off at the mere hint of rain then not much speedway would run at all in the UK. Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes it doesn't. That's the nature of a weather dependent sport in a country with generally unsettled weather.

Forecasts are frequently incorrect and often different forecasters offer completely contradictory forecasts. Oxford gave it a good go last night and if the rain had held off for just another 30 or 45 minutes then the meeting would likely have completed without issue. That's the way it goes.

The better question might be how can bikes or tyres be adapted to better cope in wet/icy conditions?

If I were involved I'd be proposing things to the BSPL/FIM whoever is in charge because I do think it's that serious.  Some of the more inexperienced riders (and the Aussies of course) seem to get mentally switched off at the merest hint of a wet track these days.  I'd be looking to ban the high revving short-stroke engines for one thing as they do seem to 'take off' alarmingly when more grip is encountered mid/exit of the turns (leg waving doesn't help either).  I don't think, even thought it's title is speedway, that bikes need to go any faster and I know there are a lot of 'tuners' out there whose business depends on this search but I'm sorry, the fans should come first.  

• Like 2

I know it doesn't matter now, but watching on BSN in the first running of heat 6 when Charles Wright fell should Tungate have even been in the rerun as it looked like his bike was not under power at the time of the stoppage.

• Like 2

Let's not forget we are very lucky to have speedway at Oxford and most weeks as well. When I think back to how the track was in the 80's and particularly the 90's - it was frankly diabolical. In most meetings you were lucky to get an overtake after heat 5!

Since the re-opening and especially this year, we have had some fantastic racing throughout the meetings. The track prep has been spot-on. They seem to have more shale on the outside and rip it up to provide more than one racing line Also, I was never a fan of 2nd division speedway but at Oxford I am a convert.

As to last night, I was in Cowley all afternoon and the rain forecast for 3pm did not happen. I have no idea if the track was watered but it was certainly dry and dusty at the start. The rain only started at 19.30 and was a very thick drizzle which seems to soak everything as much as torrential rain and it did not stop.

I've no idea what it looked like on TV but In my opinion (being there) the track was dangerous at the end and the referee had no option but to cancel the meeting. Maybe wet-weather tyres would have helped!

In addition, I was in the packed bar at the end and nobody there critisised what happened.

So, onwards and up upwards and I look forward to the meeting next Wednesday

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bash said:

I know it doesn't matter now, but watching on BSN in the first running of heat 6 when Charles Wright fell should Tungate have even been in the rerun as it looked like his bike was not under power at the time of the stoppage.

agreed - i thought the same

Just now, MP78 said:

BSN sent me an email saying I would get an automatic refund of £9.09p... Not sure if I will therefore get to watch the restaging - I would assume not.

Mine was a one-off purchase I should add, not a season pass

4 hours ago, Bash said:

How did he get the bike back to the pits ?

To my untrained eye in the stadium he rode it there, it hasn't got pedals and isn't a hobbyhorse type bicycle.

So there's either a massive slope that nobody has ever noticed or his engine was running.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, iainb said:

Yes, but whose forecast? Look at the forecast for today, heavy showers across the country, Redcar are riding tonight, they could cop a heavy shower at anytime. Should they be allowed to cancel? Some clubs would and have in the past. I got stung at Scunny on Good Friday by an isolated shower that hit the stadium minutes before start time, sometimes you're just going to get unlucky and we as travelling fans have to accept that. But I do think more could be done by the authorities to streamline the decision making in such circumstances instead of us fans having to 2nd guess the promotions all of the time.

In hindsight Leicester got it absolutely spot on yesterday and when a band of rain is crossing the country it's a much easier decision to make.

Personally I use the BBC, if it’s a meeting I am planning to attend then I follow that up with rainfall radar.

If the meeting is on BSN it’s a no brainer but of course you can never be sure one way or the other with forecasts, I think clubs could do more with a couple of updates during the day on its website but unfortunately not all clubs provide a good service on their websites.

Those that decide whether to stage or not to stage an event due to inclement weather have nothing on the 'erberts who run the TT. Typical day last week was : leave accommodation for good spot at 07.30 Roads close at 10am: Hourly updates delaying warm up, practise lap or any sort of racing up until 4pm : racing cancelled for the day.

Mostly in that time not one drop of rain will have fallen anywhere on the course.

It's all about speed and lap records these days so no chance of any of the riders using anything else but full slicks.

Probably be my last trip to the island, and the fact I missed two good Ipswich performances just adds salt to the wound!

4 hours ago, MP78 said:

BSN sent me an email saying I would get an automatic refund of £9.09p... Not sure if I will therefore get to watch the restaging - I would assume not.

BSN might not cover the restaging - they can only confirm that they'll cover another league meeting at Oxford.

• Like 2

Has anybody had an email from Oxford about ticket refunds? I’m literally stunned as I will getting £4 back…. No wonder they were so keen to stage the meeting. Utter disgrace. Is this normal?

As it was necessary to abandon this meeting before the completion of heat 10 due to rainfall, each adult ticket holder is entitled to a refund of £1 for every heat not completed prior to heat 10.

A total of 6 heats were completed before the abandonment announcement, therefore a refund of £4 per adult admission ticket will be issued via Ticketsource.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Has anybody had an email from Oxford about ticket refunds? I’m literally stunned as I will getting £4 back…. No wonder they were so keen to stage the meeting. Utter disgrace. Is this normal?

As it was necessary to abandon this meeting before the completion of heat 10 due to rainfall, each adult ticket holder is entitled to a refund of £1 for every heat not completed prior to heat 10.

A total of 6 heats were completed before the abandonment announcement, therefore a refund of £4 per adult admission ticket will be issued via Ticketsource.”

I hope that you soon regain consciousness after being 'literally stunned'!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

An absolute disgrace (Speedways policy not specifically Oxford)

Firstly only refunding to 10 heats is abysmally bad 

Secondly the £1 per heat refund formula was introduced when the cost breached the £15 barrier but hasn't been revised despite the standard cost rising by 50%

Will only encourage more and more to keep their money in their pocket on a Speedway night....

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

An absolute disgrace (Speedways policy not specifically Oxford)

Firstly only refunding to 10 heats is abysmally bad 

Secondly the £1 per heat refund formula was introduced when the cost breached the £15 barrier but hasn't been revised despite the standard cost rising by 50%

Will only encourage more and more to keep their money in their pocket on a Speedway night....

Remember Oxford gave a full refund after the Newcastle meeting was cancelled after 4 heats two years ago. Money must be tighter this year… but now I certainly won’t be going again if the weather looks dodgy.

Turns out I paid £3 per heat to watch that farce. Not to mention the fuel money of travelling there and back.

Edited by BackInTheDHSS
  • Like 1

I've had it a few times this season with Oxford with a dodgy forecast not knowing if it'd be on or not. It's a 150 mile round trip for me. The first time it was on, second time cancelled at last notice once I was already in Oxford, this time I decided not to bother at the last minute- glad I didn't bother. I know it's difficult for the promotion but a £4 refund won't do them any favours for future meetings when the forecast is dodgy. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colinspeedway said:

I've had it a few times this season with Oxford with a dodgy forecast not knowing if it'd be on or not. It's a 150 mile round trip for me. The first time it was on, second time cancelled at last notice once I was already in Oxford, this time I decided not to bother at the last minute- glad I didn't bother. I know it's difficult for the promotion but a £4 refund won't do them any favours for future meetings when the forecast is dodgy. 

But the promotion don't set the scale for refunds, thats set by either the BSPL or SCB. The track was perfect before the meeting as confirmed by the BSN coverage, it was only when the rain set in that problems arose.

This meeting and as events unfolded - people moan

Meeting called off and it doesn't rain - people moan

Track too wet, dry, grippy, slick - people moan

The common denominator is people moan whatever the circumstances, though in all the years i've been watching speedway is it's the same people who moan about everything.