British Speedway Forum

Ipswich v Sheffield Monday 10th June

On 6/9/2024 at 8:57 AM, Manifesto said:

I could tell tales of arguments at speedway but 99% of fans are just genuine speedway fans. As for the bend 2 barmy army (about 6 people) they popped up after Covid I don’t think they’ve been going for long. 

The rivalry between Ipswich and Sheffield is down to both having strong teams and last years final was mostly respectful 

Anyone who has been a fan for a few years will have a tale or two, 99% of fans are good genuine people but you just get the few that are idiots and cant help but show themselves up. Just occasionally on here you feel youve moved to a football forum as there can be the bit of name calling etc.

This has definitely developed in the last year or two like you say two of the stronger teams around and of course the rivallry is for now set for a while due to the cup and play off finals last year. The Sheffield home match that got curtailed didn't help either with the long delay after Danny King took out the air bag etc. (Some) riders probably haven't helped the situation either. There is a saying win and lose with good grace!

1 hour ago, Moranboys said:

The chanting is definitely out of place at a speedway meeting and when there's just one set doing it,it sounds even more ludicrous.

I thought I imagined it when i heard it the other week, it was just one person but it just sounded so naff and out of place at a speedway match!!

On 6/9/2024 at 8:51 AM, tellboy said:

Personally I don't mind the chanting etc.Its when they come out with all the swearing that gets me.Dont get me wrong I swear a bit,but last year at Lynn one of the women in that group was constantly at it,she was a bit worse for wear though,although that isn't an excuse.

Last year I was walking up the hill to the turnstiles at Leicester when a few of the Sheffield mob ran by me they were yawping at the top of their voices effin' and a jeffin'. Not setting a great example decked out in their Tigers gear... but when Tai Woffinden is their role model who can blame them?

Edited by iainb

Problem is with the Bend 2 lot is they get thumbs up from whoever does the Sheffield press releases, be that quotes from Simon Stead, Peter Mole etc so they’ll continue to be annoying, whereas the Tigers on Tours (some of which are over 300 consecutive matches) get little if any recognition now, not that that will stop them attending supporting their club.  
Anyway on to tonight’s match, with the Sheffield team built with riders who let’s just say generally struggle around Foxhall I can only see an easy Ipswich win especially with two solid guests in. Nicholls and Harris to back up Sayfutdinov (if 2023 Emil turns up then god help us!), all there at the top of the score chart .  Ellis will be out to show the Sheffield promotion what he’s capable of and with Thompson, Rew and Jenkins all capable of good scores so Ipswich should reach 50+ points no problem.  
As for Sheffield I’m struggling to see anyone in double figures, J. Holder maybe up there if he gets six rides with Tac Sub ride as well as Ht15, C. Holder and Woffinden both rarely trouble anyone when missing the gate especially away from home on the more technical tracks, Pickering and Howarth both like to attack but never seem to get much on the board at Foxhall 5-6 points at best, Edwards could get a few if he gates as can be quick in front, Gilkes can only see zero from him, his time has to be up as the Sheffield Rising Star but that’s another subject.  So going for 56-34 to Ipswich, might seem a bit optimistic from an Ipswich perspective but having watched Sheffield fail to get going prior to Ht8 at both Oxford and Birmingham, then unable to get out of the gate at King’s Lynn last week it could be achievable 

Edited by 4BM

22 minutes ago, 4BM said:

Problem is with the Bend 2 lot is they get thumbs up from whoever does the Sheffield press releases, be that quotes from Simon Stead, Peter Mole etc so they’ll continue to be annoying, whereas the Tigers on Tours (some of which are over 300 consecutive matches) get little if any recognition now, not that that will stop them attending supporting their club.  
Anyway on to tonight’s match, with the Sheffield team built with riders who let’s just say generally struggle around Foxhall I can only see an easy Ipswich win especially with two solid guests in. Nicholls and Harris to back up Sayfutdinov (if 2023 Emil turns up then god help us!), all there at the top of the score chart .  Ellis will be out to show the Sheffield promotion what he’s capable of and with Thompson, Rew and Jenkins all capable of good scores so Ipswich should reach 50+ points no problem.  
As for Sheffield I’m struggling to see anyone in double figures, J. Holder maybe up there if he gets six rides with Tac Sub ride as well as Ht15, C. Holder and Woffinden both rarely trouble anyone when missing the gate especially away from home on the more technical tracks, Pickering and Howarth both like to attack but never seem to get much on the board at Foxhall 5-6 points at best, Edwards could get a few if he gates as can be quick in front, Gilkes can only see zero from him, his time has to be up as the Sheffield Rising Star but that’s another subject.  So going for 56-32 to Ipswich, might seem a bit optimistic from an Ipswich perspective but having watched Sheffield fail to get going prior to Ht8 at both Oxford and Birmingham, then unable to get out of the gate at King’s Lynn last week it could be achievable 

56  32? Only adds to 88

1 hour ago, 4BM said:

As for Sheffield I’m struggling to see anyone in double figures, J. Holder maybe up there if he gets six rides with Tac Sub ride as well as Ht15, C. Holder and Woffinden both rarely trouble anyone when missing the gate especially away from home on the more technical tracks, Pickering and Howarth both like to attack but never seem to get much on the board at Foxhall 5-6 points at best, Edwards could get a few if he gates as can be quick in front, Gilkes can only see zero from him, his time has to be up as the Sheffield Rising Star but that’s another subject.  So going for 56-32 to Ipswich, might seem a bit optimistic from an Ipswich perspective but having watched Sheffield fail to get going prior to Ht8 at both Oxford and Birmingham, then unable to get out of the gate at King’s Lynn last week it could be achievable 

To be fair 4BM, can't see Jack taking 6 rides,  he hates the place,  as does his brother,  but suspect Tai might like our track, especially if it's grippy like last week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Last year I was walking up the hill to the turnstiles at Leicester when a few of the Sheffield mob ran by me they were yawping at the top of their voices effin' and a jeffin'. Not setting a great example decked out in their Tigers gear... but when Tai Woffinden is their role model who can blame them?

Spot on  very mouthy :icon_smile_clown::nono: and how  pathetic they name themselves bend 2 army because that's where they stand at NSS :rofl: named after a rivals stadium :rofl: how original :rofl:

Edited by AceBelle

Posted (edited)

Going to need the good Emil this evening, not the off colour one (by his standards) we’ve mostly seen this season. He looked back to his best recently, but was poor last week against Birmingham, and worryingly carried on that poor form again yesterday in Poland scoring only 8 from 6 rides. Let’s hope he’s not going through more mechanical problems because without Doyle, we’ll now need his very best. 

The Good thing from our perspective is that unlike last year, our lower order (Rew and Thompson) have shown great improvement and have carried us through meetings when we’ve had problems at the top end. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

5 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I thought I imagined it when i heard it the other week, it was just one person but it just sounded so naff and out of place at a speedway match!!

I can remember when the announcer at Sheffield use to say give me a T give me a I give me a G give me E give me a R give me a S what have you got and all us kids would yell tigers god I am getting old lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Going to need the good Emil this evening, not the off colour one (by his standards) we’ve mostly seen this season. He looked back to his best recently, but was poor last week against Birmingham, and worryingly carried on that poor form again yesterday in Poland scoring only 8 from 6 rides. Let’s hope he’s not going through more mechanical problems because without Doyle, we’ll now need his very best. 

The Good thing from our perspective is that unlike last year, our lower order (Rew and Thompson) have shown great improvement and have carried us through meetings when we’ve had problems at the top end. 

Ref Emil bikes look cumbersome out of the start and he looks down on power compared to last year. This is being reflected in both UK and Poland.

4 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

Ref Emil bikes look cumbersome out of the start and he looks down on power compared to last year. This is being reflected in both UK and Poland.

He’s always been poor out of the start, terrible gater. When his bikes are firing it can still launch him in to contention around first and second bend though but that’s not the case this year. 

16 from the guests which is probably 4 less then Doyle or Danny would have got between them and Emil still struggling 

Though we can’t judge it to much against a side who are beaten before they come to Foxhall … 

• Like 1