British Speedway Forum

Ipswich v Birmingham KOC 2nd Leg 06/06

11 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

That’s ridiculous 

Rules are. Teams have to use a RS. Yet tomorrow Ipswich can have an extra liga rider take a ride. A former British champ in Ellis take a ride. 

BSPL made a big mistake here. 

Dan T has been much improved this season and deserves to be in the 1-5 but r/r should not be an option, it seems yet again they have messed up the rules.

7 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Dan T has been much improved this season and deserves to be in the 1-5 but r/r should not be an option, it seems yet again they have messed up the rules.

Yeah he does deserve it. No denying that. He’s been fantastic. 

I don’t think bspl really thought of this when doing the rules. 

28 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

He’s improved more than any other rising star, and has progressed through to the main body. That’s Ipswich’ gain for picking him, and staying with him again this season. Why should Ipswich then be punished when he’s missing by having to replace him by Hodder or another clearly inferior rising star who will undoubtedly score 0,0,0? Why is it wrong to use R/R for him like you can any other member of the top 5? Seems totally fair to me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aries said:

He’s improved more than any other rising star, and has progressed through to the main body. That’s Ipswich’ gain for picking him, and staying with him again this season. Why should Ipswich then be punished when he’s missing by having to replace him by Hodder or another clearly inferior rising star who will undoubtedly score 0,0,0? Why is it wrong to use R/R for him like you can any other member of the top 5? Seems totally fair to me. 

Because he’s a rising star.  Good season or not.

lets look at it another way. Why when your RS is at reserve you can only get a guest from the rising star list??? What is the difference. Nothing 

43 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Of course they thought of it  it is a specific paragraph in the rules. It is a clear act of commission, not an omission through oversight.

Whether it is a wisely drawn regulation is certainly up for debate though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

lets look at it another way. Why when your RS is at reserve you can only get a guest from the rising star list??? What is the difference. Nothing 

Clearly it’s a reward for progression and earning yourself a place in the main body of the team, which is why the scheme is there in the first place. It’s not a special rule just for Ipswich and nobody else. If any of the others show the same progression and move out of the reserve berths then they’ll also be granted the same facility. The rules are for all clubs, not just one. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aries said:

Clearly it’s a reward for progression and earning yourself a place in the main body of the team, which is why the scheme is there in the first place. It’s not a special rule just for Ipswich and nobody else. If any of the others show the same progression and move out of the reserve berths then they’ll also be granted the same facility. The rules are for all clubs, not just one. 

I’m not saying Ipswich are bending the rules or anything. It’s clear the rules there. But that’s an oversight for me there. They not thought that through at all. Easy for clubs to manipulate that rule but saying a riders injured etc. (not saying that’s what Ipswich done)

the rule is wrong to me. Not Ipswich 

Basically the rule contradicts itself. 

first it says you MUST use a rising star rider. 

But at same time you can use R/R meaning you are not fielding a RS 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Because he’s a rising star.  Good season or not.

The difference is that Dan has qualified to be in Ipswich's 1 -5 so deserves to be treated the same way as any other rider in a club's main body of a team.

Suppose this ruling existed in 2022 would you have supported the notion of Tom Brennan's absence covered by only an unattached rising star once he had made Belle Vue's 1 - 5

11 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I’m not saying Ipswich are bending the rules or anything. It’s clear the rules there. But that’s an oversight for me there. They not thought that through at all. Easy for clubs to manipulate that rule but saying a riders injured etc. (not saying that’s what Ipswich done)

the rule is wrong to me. Not Ipswich 

I personally think it’s one of the more sensible rules. There’s naturally going to be a bigger disparity between rising stars on the list that nobody picked and deemed good enough, to a rising star that has graduated out of a reserve berth and in to the main body of the team (hence the facility), then there is between an unpicked rising star and one that hasn’t been as successful and remains in the reserve berths (hence no facility). 

Actually now I’ve thought this through a bit more, it should be done by reaching a certain average rather than which place in the team you’re at. All teams are built different, some top heavy some strength in depth. You could have a scenario where 2 rising stars are both averaging 5.00, but one is in the top 5 of a team and gets granted a facility, while the other who is in a strength in depth side, remains in a reserve berth and their club is forced to use an unattached rising star so it does have its flaws. 

Edited by Aries

5 minutes ago, Aries said:

I personally think it’s one of the more sensible rules. There’s naturally going to be a bigger disparity between rising stars on the list that nobody picked and deemed good enough, to a rising star that has graduated out of a reserve berth and in to the main body of the team (hence the facility), then there is between an unpicked rising star and one that hasn’t been as successful and remains in the reserve berths (hence no facility). 

I see your point,

but here’s another scenario. 

Dan is having an unbelievable season. Average is now 7.23 but is still at reserve because the top 5 have better averages. 

should you be rewarded with a guest of anyone upto his 7 point average. Or a guest from the RS list???

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

That’s ridiculous 

Rules are. Teams have to use a RS. Yet tomorrow Ipswich can have an extra liga rider take a ride. A former British champ in Ellis take a ride. 

BSPL made a big mistake here. 

Was the same for Brennan last season....

3 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I see your point,

but here’s another scenario. 

Dan is having an unbelievable season. Average is now 7.23 but is still at reserve because the top 5 have better averages. 

should you be rewarded with a guest of anyone upto his 7 point average. Or a guest from the RS list???

Just edited my post above with something similar. 

If you have a successful RS like Dan or like BV did with Tom Brennan in 2022 and they move into the top 5 do you think it is fair that in the protected heats the other RS are racing against non RS. With Ipswich it is slightly different to BV as they have Jordan Jenkins who was a RS last season. With BV they had Norick Blodorn who was a far better rider against them, and what happened that season BV won the league. So if it’s a problem the RS should stay at number 7 all season despite their average, but that isn’t going to help them progress, so why shouldn’t you get a better facility if they are in the top 5. 

• Like 1

All talk of Dan Thompson but no one slightly concerned that Freddie is in the team and could change the outcome for Birmingham favour (unless you’re a brummy fan then all is good!)?

Edited by Shano101

5 hours ago, Shano101 said:

All talk of Dan Thompson but no one slightly concerned that Freddie is in the team and could change the outcome for Birmingham favour (unless you’re a brunt fan then all is good!)?

I’m glad he’s in the team it makes it a more interesting meeting. The Emil and Freddie battles should be a decent watch. 

9 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Was the same for Brennan last season....

I known it’s a bad rule IMHO

did we use rr for him though??

49 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I known it’s a bad rule IMHO

Yes - 18 May v Wolves

But he wasn't RS last year.

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

You would have done if he was missing obviously let’s not pretend otherwise . Wasn’t it you who lauded the signing of Zagar on here with “drink those tears” after your club made a change after changes were permitted? You weren’t interested in any debate on whether your club had Broken/Bent/Grey area of the rules, all you were interested in was rubbing it in people’s faces on here that your team had strengthened. Yeah, I wouldn’t be taking the moral high ground on this if I were you. 

Edited by Steve Irving
  • Like 1