British Speedway Forum

Ipswich v Birmingham KOC 2nd Leg 06/06

18 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

You would have done if he was missing obviously let’s not pretend otherwise . Wasn’t it you who lauded the signing of Zagar on here with “drink those tears” after your club made a change after changes were permitted? You weren’t interested in any debate on whether your club had Broken/Bent/Grey area of the rules, all you were interested in was rubbing it in people’s faces on here that your team had strengthened. Yeah, I wouldn’t be taking the moral high ground on this if I were you. 

What a signing. Thanks for the memories matej. We will never forget you 

6 hours ago, Bash said:

Unlike Ipswich to name a number 8, maybe they have concerns over Ellis if his shoulder pops out again

Isn't the No. 8 there to take some of the R/R rides, not as an extra reserve?

22 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

That’s ridiculous 

Rules are. Teams have to use a RS. Yet tomorrow Ipswich can have an extra liga rider take a ride. A former British champ in Ellis take a ride. 

BSPL made a big mistake here. 

It's punishment enough for any team that a Rising Star has to move into the top 5 if their average means it's possible - they should stay at reserve all season, as do the youngsters in Poland.

Anyway, Ipswich have got an RS, it's Dan Thompson - he is still in the declared 1-7 and is named in the team to face Birmingham, but with R/R to cover his unfortunate absence.

The other problem with the Regulations is that they "only" allow R/R or another RS for a rider who is clearly riding well - better than any current RS, and - using your yardstick - better than an ExtraLiga rider.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bash said:

Unlike Ipswich to name a number 8, maybe they have concerns over Ellis if his shoulder pops out again

It appears that the #8, now known officially as the "Additional Rider" cannot be used as a reserve.

"011.4.3 AdditionalRider(AR)
An AR can only be utilised if a team is operating RR. An AR is not a 3
rd reserve.

Corrected my error from earlier, which quoted the NDL version of the Reg!

However:
"011.4.4 Rider Replacement (RR)
Facility allows the absent rider’s programmed rides to be shared out between other team members (including any Guest riders), subject to:

<snip>

f)  A rider nominated as an AR may, at the Team Managers discretion, take any ride at any time in heats 1-14, (apart from the protected riders position in heats 2 and 8 in the Premiership League). Whilst the minimum ride rule does not apply, the maximum number of rides is 7. The AR is not permitted to cover starting offences."

All of that wording is very confusing! (the bit in bold is as printed in the Regs)

Edited by Roger Jacobs
Corrected my errors!

21 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

I’m not saying Ipswich are bending the rules or anything. It’s clear the rules there. But that’s an oversight for me there. They not thought that through at all. Easy for clubs to manipulate that rule but saying a riders injured etc. (not saying that’s what Ipswich done)

the rule is wrong to me. Not Ipswich 

So last year when Brennan was averaging like 6 had he been injured you’d have been happier fielding a kid in the main body of the team and not at all ready to be a top flight 7 let alone 2/4??

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

I see your point,

but here’s another scenario. 

Dan is having an unbelievable season. Average is now 7.23 but is still at reserve because the top 5 have better averages. 

should you be rewarded with a guest of anyone upto his 7 point average. Or a guest from the RS list???

I see your point, in this unlikely scenario tho I feel if you’ve got someone at reserve on 7.23 then it’s immaterial that teams winning home and away whenever wherever hah

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 10:27 PM, Aries said:

I personally think it’s one of the more sensible rules. There’s naturally going to be a bigger disparity between rising stars on the list that nobody picked and deemed good enough, to a rising star that has graduated out of a reserve berth and in to the main body of the team (hence the facility), then there is between an unpicked rising star and one that hasn’t been as successful and remains in the reserve berths (hence no facility). 

Actually now I’ve thought this through a bit more, it should be done by reaching a certain average rather than which place in the team you’re at. All teams are built different, some top heavy some strength in depth. You could have a scenario where 2 rising stars are both averaging 5.00, but one is in the top 5 of a team and gets granted a facility, while the other who is in a strength in depth side, remains in a reserve berth and their club is forced to use an unattached rising star so it does have its flaws

The only other club Dan would be in the top 5 for would be Birmingham. So if Dan rides for Ipswich or Birmingham they're allowed to use r/r? But if he rode for Belle Vue, King's Lynn, Leicester, Oxford or Sheffield they'd have to use an unattached RS. Doesn't seem right!

On 6/4/2024 at 9:44 PM, Aries said:

He’s improved more than any other rising star, and has progressed through to the main body. That’s Ipswich’ gain for picking him, and staying with him again this season. Why should Ipswich then be punished when he’s missing by having to replace him by Hodder or another clearly inferior rising star who will undoubtedly score 0,0,0? Why is it wrong to use R/R for him like you can any other member of the top 5? Seems totally fair to me. 

I get your point, but here's another view. Dan T has a 4.78 average, so Ipswich can use r/r or an RS in a Premiership teams 1-7. But if Anders Rowe was ill, who has an average only 0.03 lower (4.75) King's Lynn could end up having to use a rider like Hodder, who likely would score 0,0,0. Why should Kings Lynn be punished for building strength in depth instead of top heavy like Ipswich?

Seems totally unfair to me!

12 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Maybe the rule should be, missing RS in the top 5 = guest RS (who can be in a Premiership team). Missing RS at 7 = guest RS (from unattached list)?

That way all teams would still be using a RS?

I think the rule should be if a RS goes into the top 5 and is then ill or injured the team should replace with a RS listed rider back at No.7. I'm a Witches supporter and I think our team on Thursday should be 1.CH (G) 2.KR 3.SM(G) 4.AE 5.ES 6.JJ 7.Rising Star replacement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Guess who Birmingham asked to guest for them tomorrow at Ipswich?

Yep. Zach Cook. And guess what he said. F**K off!

I have a feeling that a few riders who have been dropped / sacked or wharever will say the same to some clubs!

Shame for Birmingham, maybe good for Ipswich as I recall him having a belter of a meeting in 2023 for Wolves at Foxhall!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So they drop him and then immediately ask him to guest in the next meeting ??

You really couldn't make it up sometimes

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Why wouldnt he, you dont lose all integrity just for one nights pay.  Good for him.

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Why wouldnt he, you dont lose all integrity just for one nights pay.  Good for him.

I would have raced for them.

Say you want some sort of a guarantee and then go out and get 3 last places not trying to hard. 

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

https://x.com/ipswichspeedway/status/1798681153727328732?s=46

Anyone? Is it Swidders Badge? And Kim Jansson everybody?? You’ll soon tell me lol

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Actually I think that Misko at the back..

Well the anorak who doesn’t post anymore (*cough* Beerhut) reckons it’s Linus Sundstrom and Scotty. He’s a bigger fan than me so I’ll bow to his superior knowledge :D