British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates Vs Redcar Bears 5th June

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The racing at most places is pretty poor isn't it?

BSN must be cheesed off as they depend so much on "generic" speedway fans subscribing...

I get to watch Poland and Sweden and often give UK racing a miss on Eurosport given invariably it is poor entertainment..

Apart from a few tracks, eg. (in no particular order), NSS, Glasgow, Worky, Scunthorpe 0 and Redcar, there does seem to be a very low entertainment threshold at a lot of tracks...

Based on a "win at all costs" mentality maybe around track prep?

What promoters forget I fear is that only one team can win a league, so, for many teams, they are out of contention within a month or two,..

(Leagues where let's be honest don't carry too much kudos or financial reward)..

,Therefore, selling "the racing" for thes majority of clubs has to be key surely? 

Unfortunately Poole fans like to win at all costs  bu@@er the entertainment they are probably easy pleased, won't know good speedway if they saw it :D

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Wrong again :rofl:

And happy to be, rather a close meeting than a one sided affair.

But seriously what the hell track was that? Completely different to normal. Arrived to see most of the dirt gone and it looked slick with very little in the way of dirt in the outside. The rider interviews after the meeting confirmed this as they all said they were completely caught out by the track and it being prepared nothing like normal. Why on earth did that happen? Surely a track should be prepared the same every week to the riders liking? 

Took Poole until half way through the match to get going and it should have been won far earlier than heat 15 but we got there in the end.

Take a bow Jason Edwards that was the best I and many other have ever seen him ride and when he gated in heat 15 with Wright at the back I expected Wright to pick off a Pirate to cause a golden heat.

Lawsons bike going pop in heat 13 caused it to come down to the last but that was the worst I have seen Pirates ride this year.

As for our new signing Vinnie Ford, well it was an improvement on his predecessor and he battled all night. 

Pirates go top. No home meeting now for over a month.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

Great performance from Jason Edwards tonight, Redcar fell away as the groove appeared. 

Been ages since I've seen the blue groove! Not sure what happened with the track prep, was dusty straight away. Maybe they underestimated the lack of moisture in it as it hasn't rained recently now. Hopefully with a break at home til 3rd July they can sort it out, as only going to get warmer down here!! 

The difference in material from inside to outside on bends 1 and 2 was pretty crazy! 

I am sure the Poole fans will have gone home happy. Quality of racing was dreadful.

Entertainment value probably 1/10

As Sam Hagon said it is gate and go

I remember when on a Southern trip , I saw Poole v Kings Lynn…. Score  was 40- 38. The only genuine pass all night was when Tomas Topinka made the only pass of the night in heat 13.

2 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

I am sure the Poole fans will have gone home happy. Quality of racing was dreadful.

I remember when on a Southern trip , I saw Poole v Kings Lynn…. Score  was 40- 38. The only genuine pass all night was when Tomas Topinka made the only pass of the night in heat 13.

Prob say the same about BV in the 90s tbh! 

3 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

The racing this year has been excellent but certainly not tonight. When. Rider like Brennan can’t make a move on Edwards you know something has gone wrong with track prep. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The racing this year has been excellent but certainly not tonight. When. Rider like Brennan can’t make a move on Edwards you know something has gone wrong with track prep. 

When a rider like Wright can’t make a move on Hagon you could say the same too. Similarly Ben Cook was way off the pace if he didn’t gate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BacktrackBandit said:

What a waste of money that was on the BSN. 

Must be nice winning every week for Poole fans but that was awful entertainment for the neutral.  

Get some water on it!

Not just us it seems. On the other thread Oxford also dry and dusty apparently. 

But I agree, more water was definitely needed and also more material on the inside! 

19 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

And happy to be, rather a close meeting than a one sided affair.

But seriously what the hell track was that? Completely different to normal. Arrived to see most of the dirt gone and it looked slick with very little in the way of dirt in the outside. The rider interviews after the meeting confirmed this as they all said they were completely caught out by the track and it being prepared nothing like normal. Why on earth did that happen? Surely a track should be prepared the same every week to the riders liking? 

Took Poole until half way through the match to get going and it should have been won far earlier than heat 15 but we got there in the end.

Take a bow Jason Edwards that was the best I and many other have ever seen him ride and when he gated in heat 15 with Wright at the back I expected Wright to pick off a Pirate to cause a golden heat.

Lawsons bike going pop in heat 13 caused it to come down to the last but that was the worst I have seen Pirates ride this year.

As for our new signing Vinnie Ford, well it was an improvement on his predecessor and he battled all night. 

Pirates go top. No home meeting now for over a month.

Never heard of a chain goung pop ! ,,,,  drame queen  dear me ..

On 6/4/2024 at 1:13 PM, Dickie Head said:

So Birmingham senselessly dump Zach Cook. How will he react? Disillusioned or dynamite. Watch out Bears!

On 6/4/2024 at 3:02 PM, lisa-colette said:

Birmingham seem to be kings of making really bad decisions and to think people moan about Cami at Glasgow! 

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/HDBbfEPvnjs2oAQo/

He doesn't sound too disillusioned, maybe KL pick him temporary if MPT is out with collarbone injury. 

It's not really senseless or a bad decision if he's being replaced by a GP rider. He's not done a lot wrong but in terms of pedigree and what all of Brums riders should be capable of Cook was the obvious choice. I'd have him at Lynn to replace MPT, think he could do well for us.

As for tonight pleased to see Redcar showing a bit of form over the last few meetings as I tipped them to finish top pre season. They are full of promising young riders but more of them need to be doing what Edwards did tonight more often. 

24 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

I think that was the last pass the Poole regulars saw as well. Tonights blockbuster 2 passes were a decade and a half in the making. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Been ages since I've seen the blue groove! Not sure what happened with the track prep, was dusty straight away. Maybe they underestimated the lack of moisture in it as it hasn't rained recently now. Hopefully with a break at home til 3rd July they can sort it out, as only going to get warmer down here!! 

The difference in material from inside to outside on bends 1 and 2 was pretty crazy! 

Why are they closing down for June? Sounds like madness!

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

It's not really senseless or a bad decision if he's being replaced by a GP rider. He's not done a lot wrong but in terms of pedigree and what all of Brums riders should be capable of Cook was the obvious choice. I'd have him at Lynn to replace MPT, think he could do well for us.

As for tonight pleased to see Redcar showing a bit of form over the last few meetings as I tipped them to finish top pre season. They are full of promising young riders but more of them need to be doing what Edwards did tonight more often. 

It's a bad decision in the sense that it should have been Lampart not Zach imo.

Maybe Redcar have too many young riders? If they had another experienced head might be the difference. King back soon so that will help them. 

3 minutes ago, SilentLurker said:

I think that was the last pass the Poole regulars saw as well. Tonights blockbuster 2 passes were a decade and a half in the making. 

The track had a blue groove all the time in the 2003 ish era, so much so we used to joke what heat the blue groove would appear! Thank goodness this will only be a one time thing, hopefully!

As long as they fix it for next time, that is the main thing. 

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why are they closing down for June? Sounds like madness!

Well, Howarth has stolen next Weds for his testimonial so can't even attempt to do KO cup SF then and we are at Oxford on Weds 19th. So that only leaves the following week anyways. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

What an awful place to watch your speedway 

Seems like Pooles new signing isn’t going to be better than the rider he replaced …. Poole love to put young Brits on the scrap heap 

For his first time on the track, showed lots of fight and determination, think he will get better 

• Like 2

Well that was an unexpectedly poor evening. Track was so slick and dusty and so different to previous weeks.

I predicted 50-40 which would have been pretty close if it hadn't been for Zach's blown engine and Richard's shed chain. Foord looked confident enough to mix it. So onwards and upwards

Hopefully one of the spare Wednesdays later this month will see Worky visit inbthe BSN Series semi final?!

8 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Well, Howarth has stolen next Weds for his testimonial so can't even attempt to do KO cup SF then and we are at Oxford on Weds 19th. So that only leaves the following week anyways. 

Would have thought they'd have put something on