British Speedway Forum

Birmingham v Ipswich KOC June 3rd

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That's no excuse, as soon as it was obvious Pawlicki was on form, Ermolenko should have been planning to use him early, so he wouldn't get 4 on the trot later.

Another option would be using Lampart in heat 13 as r/r to give Pawlicki a rest, then use Pawlicki in heat 14. Flint wouldn't have needed a 4th ride.

Disagree. The only rider Pawlicki was going to replace was flint. Yes, he could have used Pawlicki in heat 4 for Flint, but Pawlicki had just had two on the trot at that stage and it was still early in the meeting. He then replaced Flint in heat 12. I’m not sure many would have put Lampart in 13 for the R/R when Pawlicki was still able to take it, three on the trot or not. But after then running a last it’s no surprise Pawlicki didn’t then do 4 on the trot in heat 14. It is what it is, I don’t see any major bollock dropped by Sam here if I’m honest. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Disagree. The only rider Pawlicki was going to replace was flint. Yes, he could have used Pawlicki in heat 4 for Flint, but Pawlicki had just had two on the trot at that stage and it was still early in the meeting. He then replaced Flint in heat 12. I’m not sure many would have put Lampart in 13 for the R/R when Pawlicki was still able to take it, three on the trot or not. But after then running a last it’s no surprise Pawlicki didn’t then do 4 on the trot in heat 14. It is what it is, I don’t see any major bollock dropped by Sam here if I’m honest. 

Are you contradicting yourself here, you say the only rider Pawlicki would replace is Flint, but also say you wouldn't put Lampart in heat 13 when Pawlicki was available.

So if Pawlicki is preferred over Lampart in the r/r spot, why wasn't he preferred over Lampart in one of Lampart's heats?

I certainly would have told Pawlicki he was needed in heat 14 before heat 13, then decide if he could manage 4 on the trot, but I wouldn't have used Flint.

We may have to agree to disagree on this one.

3 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Clueless from Birmingham.

Why was Pawlicki not in heat 8? 

You got response.....:D

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Are you contradicting yourself here, you say the only rider Pawlicki would replace is Flint, but also say you wouldn't put Lampart in heat 13 when Pawlicki was available.

So if Pawlicki is preferred over Lampart in the r/r spot, why wasn't he preferred over Lampart in one of Lampart's heats?

I certainly would have told Pawlicki he was needed in heat 14 before heat 13, then decide if he could manage 4 on the trot, but I wouldn't have used Flint.

We may have to agree to disagree on this one.

Everybody sees themselves as a managerial genius sat at home in their armchairs don’t they. No I'm not contradicting myself, szkocjasid. Lampart wasn’t getting final rider replacement ride in heat 13 on 4 points when Pawlicki on 10 points hadn’t yet taken one. Realistically Pawlicki wasn’t going to replace anyone else other than Flint once he got an unexpected outing early on when Cook went through the tapes. Pawlicki had six of the available seven rides, and heat 14 was his programmed ride which would have been his seventh and final ride. That is the only issue people are having here. But you weren’t there, I weren’t there, and nobody knows the reason Pawlicki was then pulled and replaced by Flint. Nobody in their right mind would willingly choose Flint over Pawlicki so there would have been a reason for it. That doesn’t mean the plan was always to pull him from that heat meaning a trick was missed not giving him an extra ride earlier. Perhaps having three on the trot and only scoring one point from the last two of those had a bearing on that decision that they weren’t expecting to make. If Pawlicki had replaced Lampart early on then his night would have been done in heat 13 regardless, having then taken the full quota of seven rides. I just don’t think it’s the major bollock that you and a couple of others are making it out to be I really don’t. It just seems to be fashionable to scrutinise every move Ermolenko makes and then jump in with both feet when a decision seemingly doesn’t look like a good one. You can be a manager in the pits looking at the programme pre-meeting and have the best intentions and have everything mapped out the way you think it’s going to go, but things can and often do change those plans during meetings. We’ll agree to disagree. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OGT said:

Doesn't look like Brum will be repeating the league and cup double of 50 years ago now.

Shame really :(:rolleyes:

I know you say that tongue in cheek, but I wouldn’t give up on the KOC just yet, not until we’ve seen the team sheet for Thursday. Has Lindgren got his visa sorted and in the team on Thursday? We’ve been ringing around everywhere and are apparently struggling to get suitable guests. Hawkins has already said it’ll be Rider replacement and two guests again so much will depend on who those guests are and also whether Hodder or someone else of that standard replaces Thompson. 

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I know you say that tongue in cheek, but I wouldn’t give up on the KOC just yet, not until we’ve seen the team sheet for Thursday. Has Lindgren got his visa sorted and in the team on Thursday? We’ve been ringing around everywhere and are apparently struggling to get suitable guests. Hawkins has already said it’ll be Rider replacement and two guests again so much will depend on who those guests are and also whether Hodder or someone else of that standard replaces Thompson. 

British speedway summed up in one post.

Sadly. 

11 minutes ago, OGT said:

British speedway summed up in one post.

Sadly. 

Not really, it’s a bit of a unique situation. Injuries in Speedway can happen anywhere but it’s very rare for one team to be missing 4 members at the same time. The Visa situation for Freddie seems out of the clubs control. 

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

That's no excuse, as soon as it was obvious Pawlicki was on form, Ermolenko should have been planning to use him early, so he wouldn't get 4 on the trot later.

Another option would be using Lampart in heat 13 as r/r to give Pawlicki a rest, then use Pawlicki in heat 14. Flint wouldn't have needed a 4th ride.

What heat do you suggest and for whom?

I know we say that we don’t know the reasons but when you have one reserve going well and one struggling it’s poor management for them to have 6 and 4 rides and not 7 and 3 rides irrelevant if what heats they are in the programme should have been worked out better by management 

After 4 heats Pawlicki had 6 points and Flint 0….. at this stage that early on a good manager would be looking ahead to maximise his top reserve 

• Like 1

Great from Blodorn last night and what a character he is too! Exactly the type of guy we need in British Speedway and I hope he keeps getting better and better!! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, *JJ said:

Apparently it is not allowed to have a rider take four rides in succession.

Shouldn't have got to that situation....big balls-up by TM's!

B'ham were lucky that Scott blew his engine in his first ride, otherwise this would have been a walk-over!

Fair play to Sedgemen....I've not supported his signing due to last season's poor home displays...but he seems to have hit a purple patch!

Don't understand why the the track wasn't prepared to the same standard as the previous 2 Home meetings?

No wonder there was some below par performances....no consistency!

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I know we say that we don’t know the reasons but when you have one reserve going well and one struggling it’s poor management for them to have 6 and 4 rides and not 7 and 3 rides irrelevant if what heats they are in the programme should have been worked out better by management 

After 4 heats Pawlicki had 6 points and Flint 0….. at this stage that early on a good manager would be looking ahead to maximise his top reserve 

What other heat would you have given him Gav? I’m assuming by saying it should have been 7 and 3 rides so you’re taking out Flint for Pawlicki? That was done in heat 12. You could look at heat 4 and say there’s an opportunity, but only three heats had gone and Birmingham were 12-6 up. Would you take Flint out of his second ride that early in the meeting? You also have to factor in that Pawlicki wasn’t expected to be in heat three but was brought in when Cook went through the tapes. I’m not sure giving Pawlicki three on the trot and three of his potential seven rides by heat 4 would have been wise with nearly 3 quarters of the meeting still to run. He couldn’t replace Flint in heat 8, leaving his next opportunity in heat 12, which the manager took. Pawlicki had four programmed rides, a fifth replacing the excluded Cook, a sixth was to be a rider replacement ride and a seventh was to be a reserve replacement for Flint that was taken in heat 12. If Pawlicki hadn’t have been replaced in 14 then it would have been exactly as you said, a 7 and 3 rides for Pawlicki and Flint respectively. Now the whole issue here is Pawlicki being withdrawn for Flint in 14. Had Pawlicki won the previous heat then you might think he’d have taken his last programmed ride but he ran a last on top of a third place in the previous heat and he seemed to have tailed off as the meeting progressed and had just done 3 on the bounce, so a conversation between manager and rider must have taken place and a decision then made based on that. Was it fatigue? Machinery? None of us know the answer but you can bet there’ll be one. I’m convinced the plan at the start of the meeting was to give Pawlicki a full seven rides why wouldn’t you? But sometimes those plans don’t work during meetings for many reasons. I don’t see the issue here it’s no biggie from where I’m standing but we all have different opinions. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

Just caught up with the meeting on BSN, was expecting Ipi to keep it close at best and not come away with a win, off night for Scotty but didn't really matter as Blodorn and Rew rode really well and better then i expected, even young Hodder didn't disgrace himself and was on the pace, now trying to think when was the last time 3 riders scored 40 points between out of a team total of 46.

31 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Shouldn't have got to that situation....big balls-up by TM's!

B'ham were lucky that Scott blew his engine in his first ride, otherwise this would have been a walk-over!

Fair play to Sedgemen....I've not supported his signing due to last season's poor home displays...but he seems to have hit a purple patch!

Don't understand why the the track wasn't prepared to the same standard as the previous 2 Home meetings?

No wonder there was some below par performances....no consistency!

Riders should be able to adapt to conditions after 1 ride though.Thats all we hear from riders nowadays -set ups.

Just a general observation and possibly the big white elephant in the room....how the hell do the Brummies afford Freddie Lindgren, if/when he scores a maximum, that will cost nearly half the gate receipts on its own!

Great effort from the guest Blodorn and also Rew - Emil you expected him to probably do that kind of score - also good to see win no 2 for Jenkins, no room for complacency however for Thursday!

• Like 1