British Speedway Forum

YOUR Hackney

13 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

or the last time Spurs won the league:D

Nobody on here is THAT old, are they?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

And some people don't remember the 66 World Cup Final, The Beatles, Arold Wilson, Spangles, motor bikes and sidecar combos, chestnuts roasting on a brazier, or the last time Spurs won the league:D

I loved Old English Spangles.

I always wanted a bike and sidecar. Still do, actually...

I remember prefabs.

I remember the National Anthem played when the telly closed down at night.

I remember when we had speedway in London... :cry:

Of course it’s all about the racing, and the riders. 

Bengt Jansson - ‘Benga’ or ‘Banger’ -  was pure class and to think that a Hackney rider was within a ride-off of becoming World Champion frankly beggars belief! He once finished with an end-of-season average of 10.26 - a cool Swede in his yellow leathers.

Garry Middleton, a one-off, who never rode harder than the night he won the Golden Helmet at Hackney. Can’t remember who he was against, but he was the underdog, and the fans loved it!

Slender little Zenon Plech, a real full-throttle merchant, crazy, mad, frustrating, spectacular, the original Polish wonder kid, who at his best was just amazing round Waterden Road. We enjoyed that he didn’t gate consistently -  he would square off the corners, especially the last bend, and ‘find’ his way through on the inside at great speed.

Little Davy Morton and his chequered leathers. Loved gate four at Waterden Road as he would blast round the first and second bend banking and come out in the lead going down the home straight. Our No 8 from Crewe, he came into the side in May at reserve, and by July was beating the Great Dane Ole Olsen not once but twice!

Bo Peep - the immaculate and exciting tall Dane Bo Petersen. He could pass at The Wick up the inside, or hanging spectacularly off the side of the bike roaring round the outside - great balance. Unusually for us, he always had the best of equipment thanks to his sponsor Ivan Henry, and one season actually topped the league averages for a long while -  I cannot think of any other Hawk to manage that. He once had to be physically restrained from attacking Danish captain Olsen after Ole had purposely run the young whippersnapper up into the first bend fence!

Then there were a few youngsters who had their moments:

Un-sung Steve Lomas, resplendent in his green leathers, coming third in the final of a star studded end of season Champions Chase in 1974 and relegating the great Swede Anders Michanek into last place! He had beaten the likes of Terry Betts, Martin Ashby and Simmo in the heats.

Dave Kennett, known by the Plough Lane followers as ‘Killer Kennett’, but 'Davy Crockett' to the Hawks faithful, who hugged the white line and woe betide anyone in his way. He had the most scary of crashes early in 1973 when he and the promising Allan Emmett roared through the third bend fence together whilst team riding. Did they lock handlebars? It was a terrifying high speed crash, his bike, which was write-off, flying over the fence, sparks and all.  Although he walked away reportedly with just cuts and bruises,  many felt that he was never quite the same rider after that.

The Fireman Geoff Maloney in his black leathers was promoted up from Rayleigh and had a grin as wide as the Blackwall tunnel. Especially the night when he beat Peter Collins, guesting for Wolves, twice on his way to his one and only Hackney maximum.

• Like 2

.... And who can forget Zuper Zenon with a last to first missile surge at Waterden Road down the back straight taking current W.C. Ole Olsen from the back in the process with other two riders AND smashing the Hackney track record at same time !! ( i stand corrected, was it in time of 62.0 seconds ?? ) i think it was in the 1979 season.

i went to World Final at Chorzow that year to cheer him on with the 100,000 + Polish fans. He finished 2nd but should have won. Even Briggo said it.

August 9th 1980 : Halifax v Hackney Oh boy the meeting of a lifetime if your a fan of the Hackney Hawks. i had the amazing pleasure to be there !

Hackney 11 ? points down at heat 7 they came back, and back , and back.. winning 39 - 38 in the last race. 

Zenon was in class of his own with 14 paid 15 maximum despite Kenny Carter there in his prime !

The track was incredible i have to say. What a spectacle  seeing riders going round at high speed on huge banked track.

Leaping Len was in meltdown with happiness ! i hope he reads this forum and pages for his beloved Hawks - Len Silver IS HACKNEY !

My other half had a mini around this time with a .... ZUPER ZENON !! STICKER in the back window. She was toddling down M11 in it one day. A car pulled up along side her and the driver waved ! Who was it - The man himself !!!!! 

Edited by Goldhawk
  • Like 1

More Memorable Hackney heroes:

The late Vic Harding was never going to be world champion, but in many ways he was a typical Hackney recruit - a wholehearted, gutsy little rider with a huge heart, who the fans took to for his cheerfulness and determination. He came in at reserve after three years at Weymouth and soon afterwards got 8 from 3 starts against Swindon, including a win over top Swede Jan Andersson - who he then beat in the Rider of the Night final! Seeing him crash right in front of us, in his fifth outing as he raced for a point that would have seen us pull back a 16 point deficit to win a meaningless 4TT match, was my worst moment in 50 odd years of spectating. The hush that suddenly descended on Waterden Road said it all.

And then of course, Barry Thomas.  Mr Hackney for so many, and so often worth the price of admission alone for his dashes from the back. He never took it too seriously, and never seemed to have the most reliable of machinery, and in some ways summed up what Hackney was about - we might not win too many trophies but we had plenty of fun racing. His beating the great Ivan Mauger on the final bend when the World Champion was team riding his partner toward the league title is still one of the most memorable races I have seen in over 50 years.

Thommo of course was the link between the Hawks and the Kestrels.

A new Kestrel was the long blonde haired Andy Galvin - one of Thommo’s Iwade lads. A legend, fast and not to be messed with! Entered Hackney folk lore when the story goes that, told we needed a 5-0 in the last heat to win the meeting, he obliged by knocking off both his opponents! Remembered for team-riding his rookie partner Chris Louis to many a 5-1 in 1988.

Mark Loram went from Hackney mascot to World Champion, with an all too brief period at Waterden Road. Right from day one, the lad was so exciting, a natural. After starting out as a 16 year old in Hackney’s less than successful sojourn in the top flight in 1987, he developed into a top National League performer as the Kestrels swept all before them to win the National League.

After Mark and Moggo sadly departed as the promoters took on Ipswich, we signed Steve Schofield. When the pocket marvel arrived from Poole, he admitted Waterden Road wasn’t one of his favourite tracks. Within weeks he was well nigh unbeatable around it, ending his first campaign with eight successive home full maximums. A superb little racer, a delight to watch as, when he did miss the gate, the opposition didn’t know whether he would dive up their inside or roar around the outside.

Hackney may not have won much silverware, but they certainly had some entertainers.

• Like 3

Agreed entertainers they were.

The fateful crash with Vic just horrific. it happened right in front of me too. Worst ever, Len was in tears. You could have heard pin drop.

I think the match referred on AG to was at Long Eaton with Andy Galvin and the last race. i was there. He took one Long Eaton rider out. Amazingly fallen rider excluded. in the re-run he did it again and fallen rider Long Eaton excluded !! There were riots afterwards from home fans. not happy !! ; )

Edited by Goldhawk

Happily, I didn't see the Vic Harding crash but I did see Denny Pyeatt's fatal crash. It's over 40 years ago but it's still as clear as day to me. Not something I ever want to see again

Those of us who were there also won't forget that 1980 season when the Hawks almost won the League having propped up the table the previous two seasons. It all came to a sad end when Cradley won at Waterden Road but I'll never forget the Hackney fans giving the Heathen a great reception on the tractor ride afterwards. Spoke volumes about them and speedway fans in general. One of the highlights of that season (but not for me!) was Dons getting thumped 56-22. Cyril Maidment unwisely complained that the announcer was mispronouncing Eddie Jancarz's name, upon which the announcer simply replied, 'Hackney 56 Wimbledon 22'.

• Like 1

Other fond memories of Friday nights at Waterden Road: 

Approaching from Carpenters Road, the smell! I don't know what they produced in some of those factories, but the perfume I remember thinking was  mixture of cabbage boiled to death and marmite! Then as you got the the stadium entrance, it was replaced by that most delightful of aromas - Castrol R. Right up there with the smell of new mown grass and sizzling bacon!

The teams marching out behind Len to The Magnificent Seven. So evocative, I remember it being played at Rye House in 2005 when Keith White, Bengt and Finn had a match race prior the Re-union and I don't mind admitting, it brought a tear to my eyes.

The dulcet tones of Ted Sear

Was it Len who christened him RED Ott?! I so wanted him to be  star!

I guess a lot of clubs had a similar chant - the fans got involved so in those day - so missed today. 2 4 6 8. Who do we apprec - ee - ate?                               H - A - C - K-  N - E - Y  Hackney - with Len always leaping into the air on the centre green with the final response.

Hawkeye's often controversially one-eyed programme column, and his love of the Dons down the road, (sic).

The nearest pub was the Carpenters Arms. Last time I looked it was still there, somewhat incongruously alongside the Olympic Park. We used to stop off there afterwards occasionally, and I will always remember being shocked after one meeting to find myself queuing up at the bar behind two great Swedes. Anders Michanek and Bengt Janssen had somehow beaten us to it! 

i do remember standing on bend 1 at Plough Lane with I believe the famous "Pit Loonie" home fans. Garry Middlelton was just in a class of his own for the Hawks there that night. One of them bawled out " MIDDLETON ! " .... MAY YOUR  EARHOLES TURN TO ARS-H-L-S AND SH-T RIGHT DOWN OUR NECK !! " : D Nice LOL  

Season 1980 - Just ran out of steam a bit in the end - What a season !!! - Bo Bo had an incredible season that year too !! Near on Unbeatable - UNFORGETABLE

On 6/5/2024 at 12:12 AM, speedwaysliders said:

no nonsense start marshall with away riders that didnt go down too well with them!!!

sublime Bo Petersen

There was a chap that worked at Hackney and did every job you can imagine for both speedway and greyhounds.great character to speak to,wish i knew his name.Worked on the track behind the bar ,you name he did it for years.

You are probably thinking of red-haired Terry Heath.

13 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

Other fond memories of Friday nights at Waterden Road: 

Approaching from Carpenters Road, the smell! I don't know what they produced in some of those factories, but the perfume I remember thinking was  mixture of cabbage boiled to death and marmite! Then as you got the the stadium entrance, it was replaced by that most delightful of aromas - Castrol R. Right up there with the smell of new mown grass and sizzling bacon!

The teams marching out behind Len to The Magnificent Seven. So evocative, I remember it being played at Rye House in 2005 when Keith White, Bengt and Finn had a match race prior the Re-union and I don't mind admitting, it brought a tear to my eyes.

The dulcet tones of Ted Sear

Was it Len who christened him RED Ott?! I so wanted him to be  star!

I guess a lot of clubs had a similar chant - the fans got involved so in those day - so missed today. 2 4 6 8. Who do we apprec - ee - ate?                               H - A - C - K-  N - E - Y  Hackney - with Len always leaping into the air on the centre green with the final response.

Hawkeye's often controversially one-eyed programme column, and his love of the Dons down the road, (sic).

The nearest pub was the Carpenters Arms. Last time I looked it was still there, somewhat incongruously alongside the Olympic Park. We used to stop off there afterwards occasionally, and I will always remember being shocked after one meeting to find myself queuing up at the bar behind two great Swedes. Anders Michanek and Bengt Janssen had somehow beaten us to it! 

Yes I too remember the smells. Was there a Bovril factory near by? Also if I recall the Matchbox factory was also in the vicinity?

14 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I too remember the smells. Was there a Bovril factory near by? Also if I recall the Matchbox factory was also in the vicinity?

Didn't we discuss the Bovril factory a few months ago?

EDIT: Yes we did! Steve mentioned it back in March, but from what I could find, there never was one in Hackney. It seems that there was a Fray Bentos factory there, which could have been the source of the smell.

Lesney had a large complex on Eastway, by Hackney marshes.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 9:03 PM, chunky said:

Didn't we discuss the Bovril factory a few months ago?

EDIT: Yes we did! Steve mentioned it back in March, but from what I could find, there never was one in Hackney. It seems that there was a Fray Bentos factory there, which could have been the source of the smell.

Lesney had a large complex on Eastway, by Hackney marshes.

Also a large Clarnico factory. I wonder if they were experimenting with Bovril flavoured chocolates....

23 minutes ago, CHR2 said:

I thought it was a meat pie production place but could be wrong.

Um, that would be the Fray Bentos factory I mentioned...

• Like 1

Being from the area and therefore having a number of books on Hackney, I thought I would delve into this Bovril controversy a bit more.

It would appear that Bovril was at one time manufactured in a factory in nearby Shoreditch and that when the Olympic Park was being constructed, dozens of old Bovril bottles were found on the site and it is thought that there must be literally thousands of old Bovril bottles buried in Hackney Wick on the site of the old refuse tip there.

Maybe the smell was still coming up out of the ground!

• Like 1

I am 99% sure the “ pungent odour “,  ( if I can express it that way) came from the Boake-Roberts Abrac Chemical works in Carpenters Road .  We used to cycle up from Stratford along Carpenters Road  to the Stadium, getting lungfuls of the vile pong as we urged our bikes up the incline. My goodness it was vile, and it was exactly the same smell , albeit in milder form drifting across the stadium when the wind was in a certain direction. Apparently it was well known in the area ( the smell that is ) when my dad was a boy growing up in Bow.

As for the Bovril connection, I had an uncle and aunt living in Hackney and I understood the factory manufactured Branston Pickle ( Branston and Bovril were the same company so may have both been  made both there) . Anyway the place did pen-and -ink quite a bit but not as bad as Abracs in Carpenters Road.  Uncle Fred and Auntie Flo were always coming out with tales about dead mice and things being found in the pickles so with that inside knowledge I’ve always avoided the stuff !

Them was the days in the East End. A great place to grow up in those, days. Wouldn’t change it for the world but wouldn’t want to live there now !

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

I think you are correct about the source of the pungent smell. However, I don't recall Branston ever being manufactured in Hackney. In my time in London, it was manufactured in Bermondsey near where my Mum was born and brought up.

Branston was made by Crosse & Blackwell. I don't think they were ever responsible for Bovril.

• Like 2