British Speedway Forum

Sheffield v Birmingham - 30th May

15 hours ago, Manifesto said:

Tungate and Etheridge would be great choices. I imagine Harris comes cheaper though. 

weather forecast looking okay ish for tomorrow 

Etheridge a great choice?

He can only ride the NSS in the top flight that’s why no other top flight team would touch him with a bargepole. Awful choice imho. 

15 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Etheridge a great choice?

He can only ride the NSS in the top flight that’s why no other top flight team would touch him with a bargepole. Awful choice imho. 

You obviously didn't see him in the play off final last year then

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

The meeting simply shouldn't be ran knowing two riders are missing...

A ridiculous way to run a supposed professional sport, as all it does is devalue the league..

If the promoters don't care who turns up riding for the teams, why should the fans be brothered?

Well done the Brummies for calling the situation out for what if is, and saving themselves a good few quid.. 

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

Who cares who is available, it shouldn't matter. ....

The meeting simply shouldn't have been agreed to be ran knowing riders will be missing...

And "someone" should have stepped in to either not allow it, or run it as a challenge..

You either want the leagues to mean something or you don't...

Making up teams simply so meetings can take place has ruined the credibility of the sport..

So to keep doing the same thing that prevents the sport being taken seriously over and over again is crackers..

As, of course, was giving up Thursdays as a UK priority day...

Which is the crux of the issue here...

Another self inflicted kick in the whatsits...

Absolutely spot on, and exactly my viewpoint when Lynn postponed and got punished.

The governing body should never be allowing fixtures on nights when riders are already absent. All this garbage about 'facilities being available' is exactly that, the paying public deserve better.

Unforseen rider absence is quite different. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, The Third Man said:

And the semi 2nd leg. His last 2 meetings at Sheffield were 7+1 and 9+1. Most Tigers fans would have liked him at number 6 this season, but the numbers didn't fit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely spot on, and exactly my viewpoint when Lynn postponed and got punished.

The governing body should never be allowing fixtures on nights when riders are already absent. All this garbage about 'facilities being available' is exactly that, the paying public deserve better.

One million percent...

They just never learn do they? 

Same old, same old, rinse and repeat..

They must be a uniquely special bunch to never question themselves....

Still..

Bumper crowds at the play off final..:rolleyes:

• Like 1

To come back at Bagpuss and his comment on "All this garbage about 'facilities being available' is OK if you own your own stadium. But at Sheffield we are tennants and can only move nights around with the agreement of the landlord even before the SCB has say. If the landlord says the stadim is unavailable then there nothing we can do about it. They must be allowed to maximise their income.  I must say at this point I am told by the management that Sheffield Speedwy have a very good relationship with the landlords and that is onfortunatly is not the case for all tennant speedway clubs.

13 hours ago, The Third Man said:

One or 2 off.

his average was hugely inflated in 2021 and 2022 because it was mostly achieved at the NSS.

2021 5.22

2022 4.76

he went backwards in one season and is a reason why no other team has signed him up in the top flight.

He has a proven 2 year history of form at other tracks and it’s not pretty reading.

I still maintain he would be a poor choice of guest at any track that’s not the NSS.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Wondering how we manage to run Speedway years ago.1/2dozen Teams now and it’s a fixture shambles.

We were in Polands position years ago, what we said went so we didn't have problems except for the odd world championship meetings, and little or no doubling up

Edited by The Third Man
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wollyhat said:

To come back at Bagpuss and his comment on "All this garbage about 'facilities being available' is OK if you own your own stadium. But at Sheffield we are tennants and can only move nights around with the agreement of the landlord even before the SCB has say. If the landlord says the stadim is unavailable then there nothing we can do about it. They must be allowed to maximise their income.  I must say at this point I am told by the management that Sheffield Speedwy have a very good relationship with the landlords and that is onfortunatly is not the case for all tennant speedway clubs.

I think Bagpuss meant that facilities to replace riders are available is not a valid reason to stage the meeting - just another BSPL excuse.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

We were in Polands position years ago, what we said went so we didn't have problems except for the odd world championship meetings, and little or no doubling up

It is a dying sport in GB however way you look at it.Never going to see the Glory Days again unfortunately.You just have to take it for what it is.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

With the possibility of no kings Lynn next season either if there is any truth in the rumour.

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Wondering how we manage to run Speedway years ago.1/2dozen Teams now and it’s a fixture shambles.

4 hours ago, Wollyhat said:

You've got your wires crossed, I wasn't referring to Monday's meeting which has been quietly postponed with minimal fuss. And one assumes without an SCB enquiry :D

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I would just add that at the time the fixture list was announced (8.12.23) neither Lampart nor Pawlicki had been signed. So does this come under the category of unforeseen?

Edited by tocha

1 hour ago, tocha said:

I would just add that at the time the fixture list was announced (8.12.23) neither Lampart nor Pawlicki had been signed. So does this come under the category of unforeseen?

If your plan is to attract riders who ride in Poland to improve your league, then no...

As the majority of riders who ride in Poland are, by definition, Polish...

Giving up Thursday as the priority night to the Poles could also he classed as something they could have foreseen as being a potential issue...  

Plenty of teams don't have any Polish riders riding for them so why not rearrange to face someone else when the Polish meeting was arranged?