British Speedway Forum

Ipswich v Leicester KOC 30th May

Well I truly didn't expect that result,  after heat 1 I expected Sam and Co to have the beating of us, but then up pops Hot Shot Scott to inspire our lads on how to ride the track. I suspect all riders bar Scott, who was in front most of time, rode at  least a stone heavier than normal after being filled in :P

No repeat for Scott next week due to the 8 day rule sadly, so we have to trust Ritchie to get us decent guests.

well done lads, and commiserations Leicester 

12 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Good to see a Troy putting in a positively strong performance. What a waste of space this guy is and you can only think that as a guest he was the cheapest option. Any second string from the lower league would have been a better. At least they would have gained some experience rather than let a has been top up his retirement fund. It beggars belief that Troy was chosen as a guest.

Well said.....Couldn't of said it any better, well with maybe a few stronger words.

Absolutely Dreadful guest, awful rider, and you are correct on the cheapest option.

I see we cant use Scotty at Birmingham on Monday, 8 day rule applies there, so just seeing what team we take there is interesting.

Nicholls last night was simply immense.

47 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Hilarious headline on the Leicester Facebook page:

image.png

Just saw that on Twitter & was gonna say the same thing. Against a full strength Witches team I'd agree. But should've done better against a weakened Ipswich side.

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Hilarious headline on the Leicester Facebook page:

image.png

Fortunately I'm still blocked from Lions Twitter/X

Maybe it should have read...

Captain and ex-Wolves contingent let Lions down again as they roll over against a severely weakened Ipswich team

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, siggysigalos said:

Well said.....Couldn't of said it any better, well with maybe a few stronger words.

Absolutely Dreadful guest, awful rider, and you are correct on the cheapest option.

I see we cant use Scotty at Birmingham on Monday, 8 day rule applies there, so just seeing what team we take there is interesting.

Nicholls last night was simply immense.

Was Scotty racing at Birmingham last week to rule him out of that match?

Probably could use Scott next Thursday but would need to be at number 1 for Jason (if he is still out).

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

Fortunately I'm still blocked from Lions Twitter/X

Maybe it should have read...

Captain and ex-Wolves contingent let Lions down again as they roll over against a severely weakened Ipswich team

You were warned about signing our riders told you what they like away from home.

• Like 1

Just now, Wolfie456 said:

You were warned about signing our riders told you what they like away from home.

And you were absolutely spot on! :t:

13 hours ago, iainb said:

4 heat winners, 3 of them from Lawson,  against a make shift Ippo team... let down by our Wolves in sheep's clothing again. 

Ippo should have been there for the taking, especially on a weather effected track. 

Keep Lawson... bin the rest!

We'll have a Birmingham scrap come Monday...

And replace them with...........?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gambo said:

And replace them with...........?

Obviously it's never going to happen but I'll play the game... and we're working with the scraps again, so:

Robert Lambert

Richard Lawson

Martin Vaculik

Mikkel Michelsen

Szymon Wozniak

Simon Lambert

A.N. Other (Hagon can stay, give the lad a chance)

PS. don't come back and bother me with averages :D (unless, of course, it all fits, in which case you can praise me for assembling an amazing title contending team)

Edited by iainb
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, iainb said:

4 heat winners, 3 of them from Lawson,  against a make shift Ippo team... let down by our Wolves in sheep's clothing again. 

Ippo should have been there for the taking, especially on a weather effected track. 

Keep Lawson... bin the rest!

We'll have a Birmingham scrap come Monday...

Although, of course, Lawson conceded the match changing 1-5 in Heat 8 against Thompson & Jenkins ...

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Although, of course, Lawson conceded the match changing 1-5 in Heat 8 against Thompson & Jenkins ...

Oh No! Has he got to go as well :D

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

This is true but he was their best rider last night - people who weren't present and havent seen any race highlights need to understand that last night after bend 2 there was vrtually no passing - that heat i recall Lawson was off gate 4 the same gate many others failed to get away from including Emil in heat 1! Once behind there was virtually no chance of getting past.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

after bend 2 there was vrtually no passing - Once behind there was virtually no chance of getting past.

Sounds very much like Beaumont Park :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The track was heavy and very tricky. There was one dry line that appeared after the first race or two which naturally every single rider followed. Nobody was likely to go off that line and in to the deep heavy stuff that got pushed wide although to his credit, Emil did successfully in one ride that just shows his skill set! Fair play to all the riders for getting out there, getting on with it and giving it a good try. Ok Batch wasn’t good last night and unlike him, he just couldn’t get out of the start. But I didn’t see a lack of effort from him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

The track was heavy and very tricky. There was one dry line that appeared after the first race or two which naturally every single rider followed. Nobody was likely to go off that line and in to the deep heavy stuff that got pushed wide although to his credit, Emil did successfully in one ride that just shows his skill set! Fair play to all the riders for getting out there, getting on with it and giving it a good try. Ok Batch wasn’t good last night and unlike him, he just couldn’t get out of the start. But I didn’t see a lack of effort from him. 

Its always interesting what people pick up on - (for me the Witches secured a victory on the night with a patched up team after their star man conceeds a 1-5 in the opening heat - id say that was cause for optimism) but some have to focus on a guest rider who is a bit marmite i grant you - like you say his gating in his first 3 rides was abysmal and once at the back there was zero chance of overtaking - in his final 2 rides he gated and as a result he scored which is much like everyone else last night, and of course beat the visiting skipper.

Edited by GeneralMelchett

32 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

This is true but he was their best rider last night - people who weren't present and havent seen any race highlights need to understand that last night after bend 2 there was vrtually no passing - that heat i recall Lawson was off gate 4 the same gate many others failed to get away from including Emil in heat 1! Once behind there was virtually no chance of getting past.

There was some passing after bend two but it was limited.  Where Nicholls was successful was getting in front out of bend two - he's never been the best gater but used the outside dirt (which many were afraid of) to get ahead - including when there was only the smallest of gaps due to Cook squeezing him up to the fence.  Lawson was good for Leicester and I also thought Becker did ok (although he also stuffed Cook in one heat) and Douglas was making the effort but couldn't get to grips with the deeper outside line on bends 1&2, hence his fall.  Fricke looked quick at times but never really threatened.  I'm not sure Rew will see much improvement, seems to overlock a lot, a bit like Simon Stead used to but I hope he proves me wrong. 

2 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

There was some passing after bend two but it was limited.  Where Nicholls was successful was getting in front out of bend two - he's never been the best gater but used the outside dirt (which many were afraid of) to get ahead - including when there was only the smallest of gaps due to Cook squeezing him up to the fence.  Lawson was good for Leicester and I also thought Becker did ok (although he also stuffed Cook in one heat) and Douglas was making the effort but couldn't get to grips with the deeper outside line on bends 1&2, hence his fall.  Fricke looked quick at times but never really threatened.  I'm not sure Rew will see much improvement, seems to overlock a lot, a bit like Simon Stead used to but I hope he proves me wrong. 

Yes - largely agree here - I recall Douglas trying to pass trying to pass Rew in heat 10 and he fell after making up a decent bit of ground , Nicholls made some very good first / second bend moves - in fact in heat 15 he was trying to same but just didnt quite have the speed to get past Lawson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The track was heavy and very tricky. There was one dry line that appeared after the first race or two which naturally every single rider followed. Nobody was likely to go off that line and in to the deep heavy stuff that got pushed wide although to his credit, Emil did successfully in one ride that just shows his skill set! Fair play to all the riders for getting out there, getting on with it and giving it a good try. Ok Batch wasn’t good last night and unlike him, he just couldn’t get out of the start. But I didn’t see a lack of effort from him

2 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Its always interesting what people pick up on - (for me the Witches secured a victory on the night with a patched up team after their star man conceeds a 1-5 in the opening heat - id say that was cause for optimism) but some have to focus on a guest rider who is a bit marmite i grant you - like you say his gating in his first 3 rides was abysmal and once at the back there was zero chance of overtaking - in his final 2 rides he gated and as a result he scored which is much like everyone else last night, and of course beat the visiting skipper.

One thing I'll add about Batchelor, who on the opposing team did fans expect him to beat (besides Hagon)? For example Leicester's other reserve Cook, had a greater Champ average than Batchelor. He scored about as well as I'd expect him to.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

One thing I'll add about Batchelor, who on the opposing team did fans expect him to beat (besides Hagon)? For example Leicester's other reserve Cook, had a greater Champ average than Batchelor. He scored about as well as I'd expect him to.

I thought Batch did well for us two seasons ago. Looking at the averages for that year, he averaged just under 7, with a GSA just shy of 6. He was averaging more than that most of that season  before tailing off a bit towards the end. He won us a fair few meetings by partnering Doyle in last heat 5-1’s that year if I remember. This year in the Championship he’s been riding very well for Workington. Over all meetings, 9.02 average and a GSA of 8.60. Cook does top the averages, but Batch marginally has the better GSA and tops those. When I saw the track when I got there last night it was never going to be his sort of track but as I said, I thought he battled hard and there was no giving up at the back or lack of effort from him. 

Edited by Arch Stanton