British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates Vs Berwick Bandits 29th May

Ambulance from Poole hospital is here and they are working on Bastian to lift him onto stretcher.  Now done should be in ambulance soon. Obviously taking their time.  

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Ambulance from Poole hospital is here and they are working on Bastian to lift him onto stretcher.  Now done should be in ambulance soon. Obviously taking their time.  

Piratecast on Twitter have said he is conscious. 

3 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

One ambulance on site?

More than likely   but sounds a bad crash so best get county ambulance so the guy is only moved the once, to be taken straight to hospital 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Neila said:

More than likely   but sounds a bad crash so best get county ambulance so the guy is only moved the once, to be taken straight to hospital 

Would only be moved once if they had 2 ambulances at the track. Wish the injured rider all the best. Are Poole skimping on costs?

24 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Would only be moved once if they had 2 ambulances at the track. Wish the injured rider all the best. Are Poole skimping on costs?

Most tracks only have the one ambulance,  probably all to do with costs, have heard costs of upto £800 per meeting for medical cover  so another ambulance would push the costs well over the £1000 mark

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neila said:

Most tracks only have the one ambulance,  probably all to do with costs, have heard costs of upto £800 per meeting for medical cover  so another ambulance would push the costs well over the £1000 mark

No excuse when people’s lives are on the line.

Well just got back a late finish but the large crowd remained until the end. First and foremost very nasty crashes for Kerr and especially Bastian Borke, who clipped the back wheel of his team mate and smashed into the back straight fence at full speed. He was on the track for a good 30 minutes before being moved carefully onto a stretcher and off to hospital. Bastian was having a very good meeting and it was such a shame it ended as it did. 

Kerr crashed in almost the same spot but was able to walk away after some attention. Wishing both riders a speedy recovery.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Neila said:

15 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

No excuse when people’s lives are on the line.

Where do you draw the line though? Should clubs have 3 ambulances & a helicopter just in case it's needed?

Tbh a second ambulance is there to keep the meeting running, rather than for rider safety imo. It means when a rider is taken to hospital the meeting can continue without a delay, that's not "rider safety" - that's keeping the crowd happy.

Obviously there will be times when a second ambulance is needed to take more than one rider to hospital (thankfully few & far between) but I'd suggest 99% of times I read a comment about a lack of a second ambulance It's because a meeting has been delayed / postponed, not because a rider had to wait to go to hospital.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

Horrible crash for Bastian, best wishes to him.

Gutted for Lewi as that is the second time I've watched him race this year and second time he has withdrawn injured. I spoke to him before meeting and said he was ok, improving all the time and seemed to walking ok. Half a lap and a visit to the Dorset shale later though......:(

Not to mention Kemp and Hagons air bag popping session on bend one of heat 7. Sam is ok thanks 100% to the air bag doing it's job.

Racing wise not much to report really as by bend three lap one that was pretty much that. Only Hodder passing Lawson's spluttering machine altered a position and that was entering bend three. Racing got pretty strung out.

Best wishes to Lewis and Bastian for full and swift recoveries.

Well done the Poole promotion for getting the whole meeting done though in those circumstances in front of a pretty sizeable half term crowd.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

He was only moved once 

• Like 1

Can’t fault any of the Bandits effort, to put up 38 and be in the meeting up until Heat 13 was a fantastic effort given the circumstances and it does make you wonder what could have been if we’d manage to have 7 fully fit riders for the whole night.

It was essentially a free hit tonight and now we just have to worry that if Bastion is going to be out for a while how we replace his points return, I fear losing him could be what sends our play off hopes down the drain.

First time at WINBORNE ROAD as some like to call it and it’s a fantastic set up, I’ll just have to remember to remortgage my house next time I come down if I fancy another trip to the bar.

Edited by Hamster00
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hamster00 said:

Can’t fault any of the Bandits effort, to put up 38 and be in the meeting up until Heat 13 was a fantastic effort given the circumstances and it does make you wonder what could have been if we’d manage to have 7 fully fit riders for the whole night.

It was essentially a free hit tonight and now we just have to worry that if Bastion is going to be out for a while how we replace his points return, I fear losing him could be what sends our play off hopes down the drain.

First time at WINBORNE ROAD as some like to call it and it’s a fantastic set up, I’ll just have to remember to remortgage my house next time I come down if I fancy another trip to the bar.

Which bar did you go to? Got a feeling the prices are completely different! 

23 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Where do you draw the line though? Should clubs have 3 ambulances & a helicopter just in case it's needed?

Tbh a second ambulance is there to keep the meeting running, rather than for rider safety imo. It means when a rider is taken to hospital the meeting can continue without a delay, that's not "rider safety" - that's keeping the crowd happy.

Obviously there will be times when a second ambulance is needed to take more than one rider to hospital (thankfully few & far between) but I'd suggest 99% of times I read a comment about a lack of a second ambulance It's because a meeting has been delayed / postponed, not because a rider had to wait to go to hospital.

I am not sure you understand his agenda.