British Speedway Forum

Facebook Speedway Groups

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

"Have you ever rode a Speedway bike? Risking your life for our entertainment"

The stock comment on any Speedway social media site to anyone daring to criticise anyone who rides a Speedway bike "for our entertainment"..

With the stock answer being..

"See if they do it for free".... :D

One of my personal favourite questions, I always found Karl a hard person to talk to,he is very opinionated which is fine but he won’t take on board anything that someone else says and from what I hear he wasn’t overly popular as a rider although he was a good one so I do respect him for that ,,we had a disagreement over F2 bikes, I had my opinion he had his and we were never going to agree, strangely I only just found out I wasn’t a member of speedway friends even though the page kept popping up on my FB feed and he has messaged me twice to do his where are they now feature but I have refused 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

The Speedway stadiums past and present group is still there. FB groups can be a funny old thing and can quickly stray away from their intended subject. As a group becomes bigger they become a nightmare to moderate if you're the admin. The biggest problems are the spammers and those from other groups who see fit to take over your page to promote their material. Unfortunately there are also just some very nasty people who are hell bent on trolling. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

The Speedway stadiums past and present group is still there. FB groups can be a funny old thing and can quickly stray away from their intended subject. As a group becomes bigger they become a nightmare to moderate if you're the admin. The biggest problems are the spammers and those from other groups who see fit to take over your page to promote their material. Unfortunately there are also just some very nasty people who are hell bent on trolling. 

None of that's an issue imo, that's happens with every social media platform. 

The issue with Facebook Speedway pages are people getting banned because they have a differing opinion to the page owner &/or mods.

Many of these pages just end up becoming 'eco chambers'. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 11:27 AM, mikebv said:

"Have you ever rode a Speedway bike? Risking your life for our entertainment"

The stock comment on any Speedway social media site to anyone daring to criticise anyone who rides a Speedway bike "for our entertainment"..

With the stock answer being..

"See if they do it for free".... :D

I get this in the car racing world too - "You don't race so you're not allowed to comment or have an opinion".

By that logic I should be banned from ever being a commentator then.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave Goddard said:

I get this in the car racing world too - "You don't race so you're not allowed to comment or have an opinion".

By that logic I should be banned from ever being a commentator then.

Dave, I got told the same about commentating and one day a Superstox driver insisted I took his car out in a mechanics race. Having spun one car out after he dived up the inside, I then got another joker who didn't know what the front bumper was for. As we went round the third and fourth bends with me on the outside line at Wisbech my plan was to follow him down the straight and then give him a large helping push towards the fence on turn one. Sadly I tried to get behind him too quickly with the result that my front inside wheel went over his rear outside wheel and I landed up three quarters of the way through the fence, upsidedown!

Gave everyone something to talk about and I found that getting out of a Superstox is easier when they are upsidedown. Great thing was nobody could tell me that I didn't know what a crash felt like. I still keep thinking that I really ought to have a go on a speedway bike at somewhere like Isle of Wight, just to be able to say I have done it but I definitely don't want to get introduced to the fence as that would be a lot more painful on a bike compared to a Superstox.

• 3 weeks later...

Talking of Facebook's strange quirks. I have just been informed by them that a comment on a site I administer has been take down because it goes against community standards. This is the post in question: "We left in 1982, it was a great place to grow up and have fantastic memories of being there with my mum and dad Rose & Lou." This was on a post about Jaywick.

As you can see this undoubtedly breaks all sorts of rules, though I have to admit I am not quite sure which ones at the moment. In addition, the comment was posted in February this year, so it has taken them four months to get round to removing it. Who knows what damage and mental anguish could have been caused to members of the page I administer by this scurrilous comment before they took it down?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, norbold said:

Talking of Facebook's strange quirks. I have just been informed by them that a comment on a site I administer has been take down because it goes against community standards. This is the post in question: "We left in 1982, it was a great place to grow up and have fantastic memories of being there with my mum and dad Rose & Lou." This was on a post about Jaywick.

As you can see this undoubtedly breaks all sorts of rules, though I have to admit I am not quite sure which ones at the moment. In addition, the comment was posted in February this year, so it has taken them four months to get round to removing it. Who knows what damage and mental anguish could have been caused to members of the page I administer by this scurrilous comment before they took it down?

Isn't there a rule that you are only allowed to say nice things about Jaywick if you live there?

Facebook is largely reactive. In most cases it will be someone with an axe to grind making a report. 

The investigation by Facebook effectively runs along the lines of  - Remove and warn without any real investigation unless it is by a paying sponsor in which  case it is OK even if its actually illegal or offensive

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

I got a ban from my own private Facebook group not so long ago lol. Ridiculous 

It was deserved though.

• Haha 1