British Speedway Forum

Ipswich v Birmingham 16th May

11 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Speedway meetings never used to be cancelled with such small amounts of rain - the meeting against Lynn last week being a case in point.  This is hurting not only the hosting tracks but also the sport in general and the riders themselves, because venues will continue to disappear.  Some people might say the bikes these days can't be ridden but if that's the case then it's not the tracks at fault but the bikes and it's really disappointing that it's got to this state.  I used to enjoy meetings on wet tracks as results were a little more unpredictable.  Rant over. 

Things definitely change speedy. I still have vivid memories of Siggy doing battle with Chris Morton at Foxhall on what was a skating rink! Those days long gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin bass said:

It's also hissing it down in Suffolk this morn, 10 miles outside of Ipi and it's been constant for the last couple of hrs.

Meanwhile just south of Suffolk in North Essex, we've had a bit of rain - not much - and it's stopped now.

Edit: Ooops...it's just started again. Maybe they should call it off!

Edited by norbold

29 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Things definitely change speedy. I still have vivid memories of Siggy doing battle with Chris Morton at Foxhall on what was a skating rink! Those days long gone. 

They are. The bikes are much more volatile nowadays but also the money generally on offer in the UK compared to abroad means riders just want to stay in one piece for the next meeting in Poland or wherever.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, norbold said:

Meanwhile just south of Suffolk in North Essex, we've had a bit of rain - not much - and it's stopped now.

Edit: Ooops...it's just started again. Maybe they should call it off!

I’ve been from Gt Horkesley to Brightlingsea and back this morning and it’s raining all the time and the rainfall is more now than at 9am - I suspect they made the right call! 

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

If you're getting the same kind of rain that we are in Norfolk then it's too heavy for any speedway today IMO. Just got absolutely drenched on the school run!

Is that the wet kind?....sorry Bagpuss...I couldnt resist?! :t:

• Haha 1

Updated weather report form Clacton just over 25 miles south of Ipswich, at 15:55 . Blue skies, sun shining, roads have dried up. Such a shame. Would have been a good night for speedway if they could have moved Foxhall a little bit south.....

35 minutes ago, norbold said:

Updated weather report form Clacton just over 25 miles south of Ipswich, at 15:55 . Blue skies, sun shining, roads have dried up. Such a shame. Would have been a good night for speedway if they could have moved Foxhall a little bit south.....

I don't think they needed to move it. If this was on TV it would have run. Track would've been great, everywhere is drying fast and I'm only 1 mile from foxhall - that's the gamble with a forecast. 

6 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I don't think they needed to move it. If this was on TV it would have run. Track would've been great, everywhere is drying fast and I'm only 1 mile from foxhall - that's the gamble with a forecast. 

It was going to be shown on live BSN tonight.

10 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

It was going to be shown on live BSN tonight.

I don't think that brings quite the same pressure that being on Eurosport does but in any case, they took the decision and I think it was wrong given how everything was at 7.45pm but can't do anything about that now.

4 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I don't think that brings quite the same pressure that being on Eurosport does but in any case, they took the decision and I think it was wrong given how everything was at 7.45pm but can't do anything about that now.

I agree that it stopped raining at about 4pm followed by a little bit of sunshine but predominantly cloudy. How does this alone make the decision wrong as from the amount of rain that fell during the day, I would imagine that the track was pretty well flooded when the rain stopped.

I can’t see how the track would have dried in the limited time available but the only way of knowing whether the decision was right or wrong would be to see a picture of the track after the rain stopped (KL posted a picture of their track and if Foxhall was in anyway similar to that there is no way it would have dried in 2 hours giving sufficient time for track preparations.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kelvinht said:

Would this thread have been 6 pages long instead of 3 if Buster had called off incorrectly....

It wasn’t called off incorrectly, and it wasn’t called off the day before the meeting. The issue people have had as you full well know is that Lynn called it off the day before the meeting when the forecast wasn’t all that bad. The forecast then looked worse on the morning of the meeting, if it had been called then, then nobody would have batted an eyelid. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 3

What motivates people to always complain about call-offs? They all seem to be experts on track preparation (maybe they saw a video on youtube?). This time Chris Louis is wrong because he called off too early, last time he called off too late. Social media has a lot to answer for. It gives a platform for people sitting on their backsides to whinge about what is done by people that actually do things!

• Like 9

I have a two hour each way journey to Foxhall and twice this season I’ve been in the car park when they’ve called it off. 
Much as we all hate cancelled meetings, I’d much rather they were called off before lunchtime and save my fuel. 
Yes, my prepaid ticket will work at the next three fixtures but the fuel money is lost from those two trips. 
However, calling it off the day before is a bit much in this league. It’s a bit different if fans are travelling from Edinburgh or Glasgow or maybe Plymouth, maybe incurring an overnight stay - no one wants that expense for a cancelled meeting. 

Edited by DoubleJ
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArchiePelago said:

What motivates people to always complain about call-offs? They all seem to be experts on track preparation (maybe they saw a video on youtube?). This time Chris Louis is wrong because he called off too early, last time he called off too late. Social media has a lot to answer for. It gives a platform for people sitting on their backsides to whinge about what is done by people that actually do things!

You can't plz all the ppl all of t time hey, n tbf i suppose most long term speedway fans are shall we say getting on in their years and back in the day the riders used t pretty much race on anything and saw many a meeting raced on a soaking wet track, even if the track was waterlogged out would come the bags of sawdust and away we go jobs a good un:rolleyes: 

• Like 2