British Speedway Forum

Plymouth v worky

3 hours ago, j2ohh said:

the white line was a joke . rolled on by a human who prob didnt give a jot if it was sraight or clear ,  needs to be a solid line that cannot be wiped out by a bike giong near it

The centre green should be about three inches higher than the track to stop riders puting their front, and occasionally the rear, wheel over the inside line. In F1 drivers are using the red and white marked kerb as part of the track, maybe they should switch the Jim Bowen phrase round, Stay off of the red and stay on the black. :t::drink:

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Good of Craig to give Plymouth a chance in Ht 15 to make the score more respectable...

Seems to be doing "quite well" this year doesn't he? ;) 

He certainly does and it’s great to see, especially as a comets fan. 

certainly won’t get all those who have been slating him all winter saying otherwise though.

17 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

How many years do I have to bang the drum about the sport using more usable engines 

Excellent point lost in the midst of whining about track width. 

Look back at tracks like The Boulevard, The Shay, Somerton Park, Sydney Showground on Oz and ahem dare I say Derwent Park... 

Narrower than Plymouth and far bigger higher speeds. 2 valve and 4 valve uprights, harder to ride needing more skill and more throttle control. 

Modern bike rev far too high and almost all riders (a few notable older exceptions) moaning about tracks when the issue is bikes and their ability to adapt. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, HGould said:

Excellent point lost in the midst of whining about track width. 

Look back at tracks like The Boulevard, The Shay, Somerton Park, Sydney Showground on Oz and ahem dare I say Derwent Park... 

Narrower than Plymouth and far bigger higher speeds. 2 valve and 4 valve uprights, harder to ride needing more skill and more throttle control. 

Modern bike rev far too high and almost all riders (a few notable older exceptions) moaning about tracks when the issue is bikes and their ability to adapt. 

It’s the bikes and the riders’ fault. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, j2ohh said:

feeling sorry for b barker  . NOT .i can see craig wanting a bit of track work done to get rid of the land sponges  .  while barker was saying the track was ok. so craig /tate are in heat 1 , and barker has his first ride in ht 4 and would know if the track was okat by the 3 heat before  his first outing on  the sponge!   

the white line was a joke . rolled on by a human who prob didnt give a jot if it was sraight or clear ,  needs to be a solid line that cannot be wiped out by a bike giong near it .

the hole areana was a shambles and the ground force was from the 1970s  plymouth need to move forward with this venture  , but they wont because it will take away their massive home advantage ..

pirates could/will be tougher to crack .C.O.U.M.

Even Google translate couldn't help me with this…. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

It’s the bikes and the riders’ fault. :lol:

The point is, far narrower, bigger and faster tracks existed in the past. 

The bikes of that time and the riders of the time who had far more throttle control mastered them because they had the ability to ride in all kinds of conditions with steel or wooden fences awaiting them not air fences. 

No social media, no 24 hours news, no mobile phones, if you were lucky Steve Wright or Diddy David Hamilton may announce on mid afternoon radio 2 a meeting was off. Otherwise they turned up and far more often than not got the sawdust down, overalls to protect leathers and just got on with it. 

Men not petal dicks 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, HGould said:

The point is, far narrower, bigger and faster tracks existed in the past. 

The bikes of that time and the riders of the time who had far more throttle control mastered them because they had the ability to ride in all kinds of conditions with steel or wooden fences awaiting them not air fences. 

No social media, no 24 hours news, no mobile phones, if you were lucky Steve Wright or Diddy David Hamilton may announce on mid afternoon radio 2 a meeting was off. Otherwise they turned up and far more often than not got the sawdust down, overalls to protect leathers and just got on with it. 

Men not petal dicks 

You’re unnecessarily attempting to romanticise the past.

Ivan Mauger, Bruce Penhall, Hans Nielsen, Tony Rickardsson and Derek Sneddon would struggle to pass on Plymouth’s subbuteo track.

Social media, 24 hours news and mobile phones have been revolutionary for all sports, including speedway.

With those parting comments, you’re at risk of sounding like a deluded old man. Health & safety is a non-negotiable criteria in the modern world and absolutely rightly so, despite the fact that you fantasise about those who ”just got on with it”.

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, DazS said:

health and safety, biggest mind control subject going. 

I mean no offence whatsoever @DazS, but that statement is absolutely dripping with ignorance.

There isn’t a single more important professional metric on this planet than ensuring people’s safety.

I’d be very interested to learn more about your opinion on this as from an employment perspective, it’s a subject I’m exposed to on a daily basis.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

I agree. H&S has made everything that used to be exciting a lot more sterile and far less enjoyable. 

Some H & S things were a good move, ball end levers, dirt deflectors, folding footrests/kickstarts ( MX). throttle cut-outs , ambulance cover, drug tests to name but a few .

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

I agree. H&S has made everything that used to be exciting a lot more sterile and far less enjoyable. 

You’re an expert in utterly ridiculous posts, aren’t you?

Here, let me introduce you to something called a sensible opinion:

21 minutes ago, piston197 said:

Some H & S things were a good move, ball end levers, dirt deflectors, folding footrests/kickstarts ( MX). throttle cut-outs , ambulance cover, drug tests to name but a few .

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

Celina is pretty much on the pace at most places but is really poor out of the starts. If she could sort that out there wouldn't be a problem.

If only there was someone involved in the Comets promotion with a bit of history as a trapper who could pass on a few tips... :-)

• Haha 1

Well nearly 24 hours after that shambles last nite, got to have another say, about 20 comets fans travelled down spent our money on admission food and drink,  probably in the region of £500 +

1st no track preparation was done until 30 minutes before the meeting,  then a 30 minutes delay, had an interval,  then 1 heat later they decided to do some track work,  we witnessed terrible speedway on a terrible track, this is giving speedway a bad name, yes the comets won, but speedway is the loser 

• Like 3

I havent been on this site for some time so the comment was not made by me i have now changed my password just in case i was hacked 

apologies if this upset anyone