British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates Vs Workington Comets League15/5/24

1 minute ago, Marksman said:

Batchelor aside the Comets were just not at the races from the gate, the Poole riders made the most of the ripped up starts. Sam Hagon was like a rocket out of them.

One team being that far behind to the first turn is not going to produce good racing unfortunately, Comets were a let down but similiarly Poole too good. Would be surprised if Poole get close to losing at home this season.

Well done :t:

We can't be harsh on Cookie, he will be back to his best on Saturday i'd imagine after 3 long days on the road. Every Comets fan would of taken this start to the season in general.

Also 4 riders never have been there before didn't help, though thought Tate did a good job. Bit unlucky in a couple of races. Also good to see all 4 riders come round for a lap of honour after H15, I think the Edinburgh riders also did this at Poole the other week. I think fans appreciate that. :t:

One for the Plymouth fans in H11 ( seeing as you been talking about Craig Cook's moving starts!) he jumped and completely messed himself up and the ref was very good and let the race continue. So there you go it doesn't always work! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crazy robin said:

Justified when he has always done it regardless of what division you’re in.

Not justified, you have to win by as much as possible especially when aggregate is involved. Who knows what could happen in the 2nd leg.

• Like 1

Poole very good, all have set ups sorted, comets very poor apart from batch, oh well long journey home 2morrow.  Hope the comets regroup for Saturday. 

Met a couple of posters off here at Poole nice to meet you guys 

Expected a much tighter meeting but when it came to it, Pirates just blew the comets away. The visitors had no answer and apart from Batchelor were pretty woeful. Craig Cook was his usual ignorant self in the pits before the meeting, ignoring Poole fans who were congratulating him on his scoring at Plymouth the night before with grunts. Glad I didn’t approach him. Tate Z on the other hand was chatty and the exact opposite. Seems a likeable lad and I hope he goes far in the sport. Tried all night but was a baptism of fire for him and Vuolas on their first visits. 

Only Batchelor can hold his head high. The rest were well beaten. Plymouth next week in the BSN.  Can’t believe they can be any worse. Hearing Covatti is back for it. Hope they can put up a better fight.

6 minutes ago, Neila said:

Poole very good, all have set ups sorted, comets very poor apart from batch, oh well long journey home 2morrow.  Hope the comets regroup for Saturday. 

Nice to meet you to meet you Nice :t:

Neila, start ur journey home with a flat white, it's very soothing whether you av won or lost. I like to av chocolate on mine as well ;)

Av a safe journey home :t:

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Expected a much tighter meeting but when it came to it, Pirates just blew the comets away. The visitors had no answer and apart from Batchelor were pretty woeful. Craig Cook was his usual ignorant self in the pits before the meeting, ignoring Poole fans who were congratulating him on his scoring at Plymouth the night before with grunts. Glad I didn’t approach him. Tate Z on the other hand was chatty and the exact opposite. Seems a likeable lad and I hope he goes far in the sport. Tried all night but was a baptism of fire for him and Vuolas on their first visits. 

Only Batchelor can hold his head high. The rest were well beaten. Plymouth next week in the BSN.  Can’t believe they can be any worse. Hearing Covatti is back for it. Hope they can put up a better fight.

1. So what does that make Craig Cook? A moody teenager lol. He definitely hates us or we give him bad anxiety, not 100% sure which one it is. 

2. Can't see Plymouth struggling that much. How close it is will depend on what Bowtell and Hook do imo. 

Also see they have done the draw for KO cup and we have Berwick/Scunny. 

20 minutes ago, Neila said:

For reference there were 11 heat wins of 60.0o secs or quicker, 58.65 in heat 5 by Tom Brennan the fastest. Great track prep by Terry the Track (Happy Birthday BTW Terry).:cheers:

• Like 2

Well done to the Pirates much too good for the Comets tonight. Can't believe how far young Sam Hagon has come on would love it if that was Sam McGurk. The biggest disappointment was how poor the racing was up to about heat 12 but this was down to how well the Pirates were gating and they're on track speed. Unfortunately Craig had his poorest meeting of the season by a country mile, he is so much better than that. Claus got it together for his last couple of races but really only Batch and Tate took the fight to the Pirates tonight .

Personally I thought Tom Brennan was the most impressive Poole rider.  Glasgow must surely be rueing letting him go, so impressive his form at the moment.

Interesting to here Sam Hagon in his interview saying that he thought the announced pre season Comets line up was weak, hope the team can use this as one of their  motivators when the pirates visit The GT Tyres Arena and I look forward to a hopefully cracking meeting.

Not great hearing the Poole fans giving Craig a hard time. 

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy robin said:

Typical Middleditch giving a young reserve only 3 rides when the team were winning comfortably!!!!!

1 hour ago, mc131 said:

Is there not a bonus points up for grabs? All points needed for return leg at Workington.

Yeah I really don't understand why they didn't give Perry a 4th ride. Do people honestly think Poole are worried about losing by 30 points in the return leg?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Not justified, you have to win by as much as possible especially when aggregate is involved. Who knows what could happen in the 2nd leg.

Do you honestly think Poole could struggle to win the bonus?

Besides is it not more important to help Perry for the rest of the season? Surely an extra ride against a weak reserve would be great for his confidence?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, szkocjasid said:

Do you honestly think Poole could struggle to win the bonus?

Besides is it not more important to help Perry for the rest of the season? Surely an extra ride against a weak reserve would be great for his confidence?

Tom Brennan and Richard Lawson were out on track after the meeting helping Max with his gating. 

Getting one to one tuition, or in this case two to one, is far better for his confidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Also 4 riders never have been there before didn't help, though thought Tate did a good job. Bit unlucky in a couple of races. Also good to see all 4 riders come round for a lap of honour after H15, I think the Edinburgh riders also did this at Poole the other week. I think fans appreciate that. :t:

One for the Plymouth fans in H11 ( seeing as you been talking about Craig Cook's moving starts!) he jumped and completely messed himself up and the ref was very good and let the race continue. So there you go it doesn't always work! 

Shame the ref completely missed Batchelor’s blatant roller in heat 12!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Yeah I really don't understand why they didn't give Perry a 4th ride. Do people honestly think Poole are worried about losing by 30 points in the return leg?

We weren't 30 points up at H8 when it happened though! 

• Like 1

Early one morning after we sent out a Pirates warning! ;)

Soon be flat white time at Costa, will be at the Costa next to Poole train station soon before setting sail.

Thoroughly enjoyed last night and I'd like to say what a top professional Sam Hagon is. He's certainly being shown on and off the track the right way to go about his racing career. His dad, Martin Dugard and family certainly showing him how to engage with the fans. 

After the press conference he was signing photos that he'd had printed for fans, nice touch. Very thoughtful and professional Sam.

It's not all about what you do on the track.

Top marks :t:

Edited by lbw