British Speedway Forum

Super heats in BSN cup.

Should super heats be included in the BSN cup?

Since you are looking for a best runner up surely there shouldn't be extra points awarded to some groups when a superheat is required.

Luckily Scunthorpe have secured the best runner up spot but they shouldn't be in a position where another group has more points awarded than their group.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gambo95 said:

Should super heats be included in the BSN cup?

Since you are looking for a best runner up surely there shouldn't be extra points awarded to some groups when a superheat is required.

Luckily Scunthorpe have secured the best runner up spot but they shouldn't be in a position where another group has more points awarded than their group.

Think that is a fair point .You should not be able to get an extra point for drawing a match.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

I don't get the issue. It is in a table format like the league. So if you have them in the league then you have to have them in this. 

I think the issue is that an extra point is awarded that otherwise wouldn't be.

My suggestion to fix this for next year would be to give 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 1 for a Super Heat, so in all scenarios, three points would be awarded.

Effectively, the super heat last night eliminated Berwick, which doesn't seem totally fair.

Looks like some on here are unaware that there are two distinct versions of super heats defined on the official website for the BSN competition, one for meeting drawn matches & another for aggregate drawn 2 legged scores viz. :-

SUPER HEAT

Format
– The Team Manager, at their discretion may select any two of their seven riders.
– The Super Heat will take place with the following scoring system to determine the winner: 1st 4 points, 2nd 3 points, 3rd 2 points, 4th 0 points.

Drawn Matches
– In meetings after heat 15 when the score is level (e.g. 45-45), a Super Heat will be used to determine the winner (winning Super Heat team get 2 league points, losers 1 league point).
– The Super Heat winning team will be reflected as a WD in the league table and the loser as a LD.
– If a meeting is abandoned for any reason after the staging of heat 10, the scores are level and no more heats can take place (e.g. Super Heat), the match will be decided on countback of heat advantages (most 5-1s, most 4-2s etc). Winning team get 2 league points, losers 1 league point.

Aggregate Point
– When scores are tied for Aggregate Point then a Super Heat will be staged to determine the winner.
– If the second meeting is a draw and it creates an aggregate draw (eg. 45-45 followed by 45-45) then one Super Heat takes place which counts for not only to decide the meeting winner (2 league points for winner, 1 league point for loser), but also the aggregate point.
– If aggregate scores are level but the second meeting has been abandoned then aggregate point is given on countback of heat advantages (most 5-1s, most 4-2s etc) over the two meetings.

36 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

My suggestion to fix this for next year would be to give 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 1 for a Super Heat, so in all scenarios, three points would be awarded.

Effectively, the super heat last night eliminated Berwick, which doesn't seem totally fair.

Berwick would go out anyway as soon as Edinburgh or Glasgow got BP. 

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

I’d understand the super heat after a 2nd leg If all tied still on aggregate, but yeah after a 1st leg seemed a bit odd. 

Why? It's exactly the same as the league. Seems to me people are liking this to KO cup when it's supposed to more like league format. 

42 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Sorry but that's nonsense Berwick had four points from their four meetings and had no chance of being highest scoring second with that, super heat or no super heat. 

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Berwick would go out anyway as soon as Edinburgh or Glasgow got BP. 

Ah, good point. That scenario could still happen though, big each team had one bonus point. The Super Heat would then decide the table, even though one team wasn’t involved (because they won on a night rather than drew!).

Three points for a win and the issue goes away though.

4 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

I’d understand the super heat after a 2nd leg If all tied still on aggregate, but yeah after a 1st leg seemed a bit odd. 

As Lisa said, the BSN Series is a league, not a cup. Last night wasn't a "1st leg". It was a one-off meeting which, when drawn after 15 heats, allowed a super heat to decide a 'winner'. The real issue is whether you agree with the extra race and extra point. Personally, I don't.

And, as Gambo said, the extra point could help decide qualifiers from the groups. In the same way, it could also decide 4th place (or, indeed, all places) in the Championship table for the stupid play-offs.

A very strange concept. Yet more Americanised nonsense, designed to bring the evening to a grand climax. Quite pathetic really.

15 heats. If both teams finish level, what exactly is wrong with that? Shake hands, take your point and go home.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Ah, good point. That scenario could still happen though, big each team had one bonus point. The Super Heat would then decide the table, even though one team wasn’t involved (because they won on a night rather than drew!).

Three points for a win and the issue goes away though.

Yeah, not got a problem with changing the points allocated.