British Speedway Forum

Sheffield vs Ipswich 13th May

3 minutes ago, 4BM said:

I think once Jason went into the 1-6 that means in effect he opted out of the RS scheme, so even if Sheffield dropped Gilkes then can’t replace him with Edwards and bring in another non RS for the number 6 slot, might have been told info on this 

That’s my understanding too. 

1 hour ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Gate 3 watch - it was better this week - the Holders and Tai won heats from gate 3 but again as with Thursday noticeable its after heat 8 the wins seem to come from there.

0 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 3 3 1 1 3 1 2

Does gate 3 get any better, or do the others get worse?

26 minutes ago, Aries said:

We’re 7 weeks in to the season, seven, Sheffield have just lost their first meeting at home to an excellent side, and already the panic has set in and riders and now fans are calling for changes?? They’re still sitting 3rd in the table with two meetings in hand over the two teams above them, and are almost certainly going to be in the play off lottery at the end of the season. Why the rush? We’re in mid May! I just don’t get it. 

Because they've built a team to win big at Home and they're failing to do so against other title challenging teams.

BV kept up to speed with them for 12 Heats last week and Ipswich beat them last night.

The team is far too unbalanced to a point, Gilkes isn't worth keeping unless he gets a Championship place, Howarth is having a poor year in the Championship as well.

Edwards can move down to No.7 as a RS cant he????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TTT said:

No as in main body of team at start of season I believe that means you opt out of the RS scheme for that season, so Edwards cannot be at number 7 through 2024 

The days of the old 1-7 representing your team from March to October with a liberall dose of either guests or R/R are gone! Teams want to win - thats fine by me and they will make changes to try and ensure that. Last year Leicester made changes to try and maintain their play off push and it backfired - it just so happens that both Bv and the Tigers employed Lambert and won!

I am just curious who will he ride for in 2024 as its been alluded to he has agreed a deal with someone on a Kings Lynn thread earlier.

Also should be noted that despite dropping points at home which they werent happy with the Sheffield guys were very gracious in defeat!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TTT said:

Because they've built a team to win big at Home and they're failing to do so against other title challenging teams.

BV kept up to speed with them for 12 Heats last week and Ipswich beat them last night.

The team is far too unbalanced to a point, Gilkes isn't worth keeping unless he gets a Championship place, Howarth is having a poor year in the Championship as well.

Spot. On ..the big picture is Sheff wont win the league with this side. Last night clearly showed that..it dont matter  if they are 3rd in the table is not going to be good enough.its called being pro active.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Does gate 3 get any better, or do the others get worse?

The wins were the home heatleaders!

Its difficult to say - i wasnt at the meeting but I was on Thursday V Belle Vue - but the trend is clearly opening 8 heats yield very little at the moment.

Edited by GeneralMelchett

1 hour ago, DaveWayne said:

The difference being that Belle Vue brought Lambert in from outside of the British leagues after the transfer cut off date, whereas Sheffield used him as a guest from within the British league as he had signed for Kings Lynn for the latter part of the season.

i think you find Lambert wasn't a transfer he was a injury replacement for fricke which the rules clearly allow like you lot last season get you facts right !!

26 minutes ago, 4BM said:

No as in main body of team at start of season I believe that means you opt out of the RS scheme for that season, so Edwards cannot be at number 7 through 2024 

We all know Mr Bates will be able to manipulate this somehow ;)

Zischke in on a 3.00 ;) 

Edwards down to RS

Janowski in for Howarth

2 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

Totally agree in terms of making 'form based' changes, and last year, despite him starting as badly as he has this year, Sheffield stuck with Howarth and he came good second half.

Ellis was probably the only one to leave last season based on form, but if rumours are to be believed he actually asked for that to happen rather than the rhetoric on here that he was 'dropped'. Kerr was the loser from that one as he also went to make enough points available.

With regards to 'cobbling together a team to pinch the trophy', Holder, Woffinden, Musielak, Vissing, and Gilkes all had season ending injuries. What else were they supposed to do ? Turn up for the play offs with 4 riders ?

I have genuinely never seen one team have so many long term injuries in a single season. On top of the ones above, we also had 2 broken collar bones during the season. All of these injuries apart from one happened while the riders were riding in GPs, Internationals, or their other clubs.

Yes the title was won with a lot of 'guest jackets' but what were the other options ?

I may be wrong here, but I think Woffinden was playing devil's advocate to try and get a few riders to buck their ideas up. I genuinely can't see any imminent changes, but could be wrong.

Well said I agree with all of that.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Oxford surely won’t be axing Janowski when his average is about to drop to just over 5, that would be mental. IF Oxford are about to sign a GP number 1 though, any of the bottom end will feel vulnerable..

It may well be a cost issue with Janowski as he was signed as No1 at Oxford will be on a guarantee whether he scores 1 or 15pts so if you then bring in a GP big star that wants 5-7k Guarantee as well may be too expensive for the Spires 

• Like 1

If its within the rules to make changes and a club has the finances and the ambition then I don't see the issue personally. The aim of the league is to try and win it after all. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AceBelle said:

i think you find Lambert wasn't a transfer he was a injury replacement for fricke which the rules clearly allow like you lot last season get you facts right !!

But injury replacements are only allowed before the transfer cut off. You should have used guests from within the British league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4BM said:

I think once Jason went into the 1-6 that means in effect he opted out of the RS scheme, so even if Sheffield dropped Gilkes then can’t replace him with Edwards and bring in another non RS for the number 6 slot, might have been told info on this 

Just out of curiosity is Gilkes riding enough? I know he’s in Poland but is he getting much track time out there? Personally someone so young should be riding as much as he possibly can.

6 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Just out of curiosity is Gilkes riding enough? I know he’s in Poland but is he getting much track time out there? Personally someone so young should be riding as much as he possibly can.

He desperately needs to be riding in the Championship, it’s Ok going to practice in Poland and have one smoke blown up his arse, or go there and get zero rides at number 8 for Pila or ride for Grudziadz in u24 league but tracks there will give him nothing when riding in the UK.  Dan needs to be watching every race he’s not racing in to help him with how the track is riding, example last few weeks is going for the dirt in ht2 when it’s plainly not there and the inside line is the way forward but he only seems to have one way of riding.  A move out of the Sheffield team might not be a bad thing for him before he hits the zero confidence zone that Kyle Howarth seems to be in (we know Kyle can ride a lot better/faster than he is now)

3 minutes ago, 4BM said:

He desperately needs to be riding in the Championship, it’s Ok going to practice in Poland and have one smoke blown up his arse, or go there and get zero rides at number 8 for Pila or ride for Grudziadz in u24 league but tracks there will give him nothing when riding in the UK.  Dan needs to be watching every race he’s not racing in to help him with how the track is riding, example last few weeks is going for the dirt in ht2 when it’s plainly not there and the inside line is the way forward but he only seems to have one way of riding.  A move out of the Sheffield team might not be a bad thing for him before he hits the zero confidence zone that Kyle Howarth seems to be in (we know Kyle can ride a lot better/faster than he is now)

I definitely think he’s a talent he’s scored well in the premiership at times and championship but as you say everyone sees the bright lights of Poland when in fact I think he should’ve stayed championship at least if you’re not scoring much in the premiership you’ve got the championship to fall back on and maybe get confidence back but think it’s a mistake giving the championship a miss, hopefully he’ll improve though.

14 hours ago, Aries said:

Ipswich are a stronger side than Belle Vue as the table shows. 

Miles apart this year I’d say.

15 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Woffy saying when the averages change Steady and Bates have make choices.Sure his fellow Team Mates will be pleased to here that.His fellow Aussie mates will be Ok though no doubt.Typical Woffy.

Woffy is a winner, he wants the best out of everyone on or in his team.

He isn’t afraid to say it as it is. Its not like he is lying!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aries said:

Not the actual Ipswich 1-7 you haven’t. Doyle rarely drops a point at Foxhall but Nicholls only scored 7 and they still beat you by 12. At the NSS Doyle again was missing and his replacement Wright scored 3 so it’s a bit misleading. You also lost at Birmingham (Ipswich won’t) and you failed to do what Ipswich have just done here last week at Sheffield. Ipswich are a stronger side than Belle Vue as the table shows. 

With that thinking, you’ve never beaten us in the play offs.