British Speedway Forum

Sheffield vs Ipswich 13th May

6 hours ago, Marksman said:

Probably not, top scored in both appearances so far. But travelling distance may be a factor, took him 7 and a half hours to get there last Monday and was called off at short notice.

Surprised no one has mentioned Batchelor yet, surely he’d be a miles better option than Howarth (or Etheridge/Allen) judging by what I’ve seen this season, riding like a Number 1 at Champ level again.

I noticed tonight at NSS cook had oxford team kevlars seems to me they will keep him ?

6 hours ago, flagrag said:

Would be very expensive Sheffield team but if Oxford sign rumoured new GP star No1 before the next TV meeting at Leicester  then Janowski fits to replace Howarth that is what Woffy was hinting at .

Oxford surely won’t be axing Janowski when his average is about to drop to just over 5, that would be mental. IF Oxford are about to sign a GP number 1 though, any of the bottom end will feel vulnerable..

7 hours ago, spin king said:

Congrats to Ipswich on the win, the better team on the night.

I am concerned with Kyle Howarth, not having a great start to the season not only for Sheffield but Scunthorpe as well.

Tai is correct in saying that there may need to be some changes to the team, and Kyle at this moment seems to be the weak link in the team.

Oh here we go! The Hokey Cokey at Owlerton starting early this year? What are we, 7 weeks in to the season? And you’re already calling for riders to be sacked! How about giving them a couple of months at least to iron out any issues? Jenkins at Ipswich could hardly buy a point in either league first few weeks of the season, but is slowly starting to get his act together. Give riders just a bit of time before calling for their heads ffs

Edited by Aries
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Aries said:

Oh here we go! The Hokey Cokey at Owlerton starting early this year? What are we, 7 weeks in to the season? And you’re already calling for riders to be sacked! How about giving them a couple of months at least to iron out any issues? Jenkins at Ipswich could hardly buy a point in either league first few weeks of the season, but is slowly starting to get his act together. Give riders just a bit of time before calling for their heads ffs

Sheff won the league last year by making changes so quite clearly they know what they  are doing and its big part of the sport..7 weeks is plenty of enough time to find form and in Howath case he waa Poor last year as well.The  bottom line its each to there own how they go about it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, orion said:

Sheff won the league last year by making changes so quite clearly they know what they  are doing and its big part of the sport..7 weeks is plenty of enough time to find form and in Howath case he waa Poor last year as well.The  bottom line its each to there own how they go about it. 

If Howarth was poor last year as well then why sign him again this year? Their fault! No rules broken but it’s not in the spirit of things is it? It makes a mockery of it IMO. When you end up with a totally different side in September to which you started with in March. Not sure you can get much satisfaction by picking up a trophy with a “pick n mix” side all wearing race jackets over their own Kevlars because you’ve strategically swapped riders in and out to get an advantage. Some are just desperate to win and don’t care how they go about it, fair enough that’s up to them. I personally like to have an affiliation with the riders and team over the course of a season rather than have a team cobbled together late in the season in a desperate attempt to pinch the trophy you never looked like winning. It makes team building during the 6 month off season pretty pointless. Each to their own. 

Gate 3 watch - it was better this week - the Holders and Tai won heats from gate 3 but again as with Thursday noticeable its after heat 8 the wins seem to come from there.

0 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 3 3 1 1 3 1 2

Posted (edited)

I’m not a fan of being able to change willly nilly either. All it means is the Champions will be the ones that are the most clever with their tinkering. They had a “window” last year, not sure why they dropped that this year. You also have the accusations aimed at riders who mysteriously ride way below their abilities who suddenly find form again when a tactical change has been made because the team averages have dropped enough to make that change. But while that game is allowed to be played, clubs will continue to play it. 

Edit: This is probably the reason most bookies won’t touch the Speedway market with a barge pole. They could offer outside odds on a team that look cr@p on paper, but within a few weeks suddenly look one of the strongest! Only 365 offer League odds at the start of the season. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just watched this and Ipswich probably just deserved the win but a howler from Stead in heat 15 putting Woffinden off four and giving the crap gate to Chris Holder. Holder would have had every chance of gating off the outside and Woffinden was fast all night, so there would have been a chance of his doing something from two. But the result was done before the tapes went up in the final heat. 

Spot on!

I wouild've even considered 'Jack' off gate 4 ? (but I didn't watch all the meeting......)

It's pretty obvious where Sheffield's weakness is....they need to sign a competitive reserve and may swap Howarth for Barker?

Surprised that Sheffield didn't sign Leon Flint as their RS, once they knew Wolves were closing!?

Edited by GiveusaB

Last week Sheffield harping on about team riding then this week it's all about team changes hardly team moral there hypocrisy at its best :nono:certain riders wanting riders sacked even one with a testimonial coming up enough said :nono:

31 minutes ago, Aries said:

If Howarth was poor last year as well then why sign him again this year? Their fault! No rules broken but it’s not in the spirit of things is it? It makes a mockery of it IMO. When you end up with a totally different side in September to which you started with in March. Not sure you can get much satisfaction by picking up a trophy with a “pick n mix” side all wearing race jackets over their own Kevlars because you’ve strategically swapped riders in and out to get an advantage. Some are just desperate to win and don’t care how they go about it, fair enough that’s up to them. I personally like to have an affiliation with the riders and team over the course of a season rather than have a team cobbled together late in the season in a desperate attempt to pinch the trophy you never looked like winning. It makes team building during the 6 month off season pretty pointless. Each to their own. 

Totally agree in terms of making 'form based' changes, and last year, despite him starting as badly as he has this year, Sheffield stuck with Howarth and he came good second half.

Ellis was probably the only one to leave last season based on form, but if rumours are to be believed he actually asked for that to happen rather than the rhetoric on here that he was 'dropped'. Kerr was the loser from that one as he also went to make enough points available.

With regards to 'cobbling together a team to pinch the trophy', Holder, Woffinden, Musielak, Vissing, and Gilkes all had season ending injuries. What else were they supposed to do ? Turn up for the play offs with 4 riders ?

I have genuinely never seen one team have so many long term injuries in a single season. On top of the ones above, we also had 2 broken collar bones during the season. All of these injuries apart from one happened while the riders were riding in GPs, Internationals, or their other clubs.

Yes the title was won with a lot of 'guest jackets' but what were the other options ?

I may be wrong here, but I think Woffinden was playing devil's advocate to try and get a few riders to buck their ideas up. I genuinely can't see any imminent changes, but could be wrong.

Edited by DaveWayne

2 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

Totally agree in terms of making 'form based' changes, and last year, despite him starting as badly as he has this year, Sheffield stuck with Howarth and he came good second half.

Ellis was probably the only one to leave last season based on form, but if rumours are to be believed he actually asked for that to happen rather than the rhetoric on here that he was 'dropped'. Kerr was the loser from that one as he also went to make enough points available.

With regards to 'cobbling together a team to pinch the trophy', Holder, Woffinden, Musielak, Vissing, and Gilkes all had season ending injuries. What else were they supposed to do ? Turn up for the play offs with 4 riders ?

I have genuinely never seen one team have so many long term injuries in a single season. On top of the ones above, we also had 2 broken collar bones during the season. All of these injuries apart from one happened while the riders were riding in GPs, Internationals, or their other clubs.

Yes the title was won with a lot of 'guest jackets' but what were the other options ?

That's exactly the b/vue senario with Lambert for fricke in 2022 but we got slated for but Sheffield did it following year another hypocrisy moment from them :nono:

38 minutes ago, Aries said:

I agree with most of that but changing the team at the right time is righty or wrongly part of the sport. I Think you must be trying to win the league at all times and quite clearly when Ipswich beat you at home your team is not good  enough and you need to change it.  Remember Most of Sheff changes last year were force on them by riders being injured . 

Edited by orion

2 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

That's exactly the b/vue senario with Lambert for fricke in 2022 but we got slated for but Sheffield did it following year another hypocrisy moment from them :nono:

The difference being that Belle Vue brought Lambert in from outside of the British leagues after the transfer cut off date, whereas Sheffield used him as a guest from within the British league as he had signed for Kings Lynn for the latter part of the season.

• Like 2

We’re 7 weeks in to the season, seven, Sheffield have just lost their first meeting at home to an excellent side, and already the panic has set in and riders and now fans are calling for changes?? They’re still sitting 3rd in the table with two meetings in hand over the two teams above them, and are almost certainly going to be in the play off lottery at the end of the season. Why the rush? We’re in mid May! I just don’t get it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Nicholls seemed to let the cat out of the bag a bit at the end there about the lack of team spirit in the Sheffield camp compared to Ipswich. 

Team spirit probably is a bit iffy when your got 3 or 4 moaning faced Aussie's in the team if ya count Tai as one:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tocha said:

I think once Jason went into the 1-6 that means in effect he opted out of the RS scheme, so even if Sheffield dropped Gilkes then can’t replace him with Edwards and bring in another non RS for the number 6 slot, might have been told info on this 

• Like 1