British Speedway Forum

Redcar v Berwick - 10/5/2024, Cab Direct Championship

1 hour ago, Bellers101 said:

Went for the first time this season last week and shocked by what I witnessed. Too many average 2nd string and reserve type riders in the same team. Barker added to that tonight. Track has reverted back to the pre Jonny Swales days unfortunately. Didn't bother going tonight as suspected it would be more of the same.

Pre Jonny Swales was ‘Terry the Track’ and we won track of the year two years running with him on the tractor.

Great team performance from the Bandits after the disappointment of losing at home to Poole last Saturday.

Redcar seem to have picked up the same issues that have plagued Berwick for recent seasons, a weak middle order including Jonas Knudsen. I did think it was an odd signing at the time as he is not in the same league as TJ on UK tracks but I guess options were limited for the Bears at that point.

Great to see Jye and Drew on form tonight and I think any success this season is down to them building on results like this.

For any Redcar fans that think tonight was dusty just wait till you’ve been at Berwick tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, KK62 said:

Pre Jonny Swales was ‘Terry the Track’ and we won track of the year two years running with him on the tractor.

Pre Terry then. The point is the track is currently not what we've been accustomed to the past few years.

Well I'm glad I streamed it to see Berwick gain a deserved win, great team performance to a man, special mention to our young entertainer Bastian does anyone know when the averages change?As said the stream was very poor,

I don't disagree with anything been said previously about the track and team. However although slick, the outside was working, most of the Berwick riders rode the outside, Charles rode the outside, the rest of the team seemed to stick doggedly to the inside or mid track. Although not deserving of a win, Ben Barker fencing Charles stopped what could have been a 5-1 or at least a 4-2. Although the team was generally poor, Jonas, apart from one or two meetings, just isn't contributing. Just another couple of points from him would have made a big difference.

Edited by redlead

20 minutes ago, RedcarRacer said:

Wright, Edwards and one of the reserves...the rest, including King could go, complete rebuild needed.

If that's the case, what riders are available to replace the dropped riders that would improve the riders we have? I don't think Erik is available or I assume he would have been signed already.

Edited by redlead
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

I'd get rid of Knudsen , trigger and parr who isn't manager material.

Don’t understand why trigger wasn’t replaced by mulford ht12 when Berwick announced before ht11 that borke was coming In as an RS 

Don’t get all the negative comments about the track. Might not be the same as previous years, but was more than enough passing, is the fact that it was Berwick riders doing the majority of them clouding judgement? Fantastic performance from the Bandits last night, brilliant bounceback from Saturday’s home defeat. Kemp, Jye, Borke all excellent.

• Like 2

Well so far my predictions for both these teams is proving to be completely wrong :D

I was expecting a fair bit more from Redcar's younger riders and less from Kemp, Borke & Hume. Long way to go still but Redcar already look like they are entrenched in 'one of those seasons'.

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Well so far my predictions for both these teams is proving to be completely wrong :D

I laughed when I saw what you expected of us.... :approve: :lol:

43 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Don’t get all the negative comments about the track. Might not be the same as previous years, but was more than enough passing, is the fact that it was Berwick riders doing the majority of them clouding judgement? Fantastic performance from the Bandits last night, brilliant bounceback from Saturday’s home defeat. Kemp, Jye, Borke all excellent.

My only issue was the amount of dust, totally unacceptable , particularly on the back straight. 

I agree about the racing generally, I’ve definitely seen a lot worse and it’s the fact the opposition are the team doing most of the passing that is skewing judgement I think. Apart from Charles we don’t have another rider who likes to blast around the outside and it’s frustrating seeing the opposition doing it.

We have been used to winning most of our home matches over the years, losing only occasionally, but 4 home defeats out of 5 is a tough watch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

Went for the first time this season last week and shocked by what I witnessed. Too many average 2nd string and reserve type riders in the same team. Barker added to that tonight. Track has reverted back to the pre Jonny Swales days unfortunately. Didn't bother going tonight as suspected it would be more of the same.

The points limit is to blame for that, I would think.

I was down for the Scunthorpe meeting and have to say the track was not as good as previous seasons for entertainment purposes, but that won't put me off visiting in the future this season.   If the VFM is still poor next time, it may limit any future visits.

As for team changes, no point in just saying "I'd get rid of A, B and/or C" without saying who you'd bring in.  Very few riders out there to replace with, especially at the "top end". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yearbyred said:

My only issue was the amount of dust, totally unacceptable , particularly on the back straight. 

I agree about the racing generally, I’ve definitely seen a lot worse and it’s the fact the opposition are the team doing most of the passing that is skewing judgement I think. Apart from Charles we don’t have another rider who likes to blast around the outside and it’s frustrating seeing the opposition doing it.

We have been used to winning most of our home matches over the years, losing only occasionally, but 4 home defeats out of 5 is a tough watch.

Dust at Shielfield was worse last week, and it will be just as bad tonight, unfortunately in those weather conditions, with the type of shale used now, you either flood the track and the riders won’t ride on it, or you don’t and you get a bit of dust from my point of view. Was no dust on b1 at all really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

The points limit is to blame for that, I would think.

I was down for the Scunthorpe meeting and have to say the track was not as good as previous seasons for entertainment purposes, but that won't put me off visiting in the future this season.   If the VFM is still poor next time, it may limit any future visits.

As for team changes, no point in just saying "I'd get rid of A, B and/or C" without saying who you'd bring in.  Very few riders out there to replace with, especially at the "top end". 

Scunthorpe and Workington both have X3 heat leaders. Redcar would have had if Jorgensen was fit. They now have 2 Wright and King and only 1 last night with Barker in the team. Redcar also went into the season way under the points limit so the lower limit isn't solely to blame.

1 hour ago, Bandits4eva said:

I laughed when I saw what you expected of us.... :approve: :lol:

Glad I amused you :D:wink:

My predictions are only ever based on honest opinions but I suspect I've got the Championship table fairly wrong as Berwick, Worky, Edinburgh & Plymouth have all started much better than I thought. Long way to go though. 

3 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Scunthorpe and Workington both have X3 heat leaders. Redcar would have had if Jorgensen was fit. They now have 2 Wright and King and only 1 last night with Barker in the team. Redcar also went into the season way under the points limit so the lower limit isn't solely to blame.

Don’t forget our manger said that we built to the same points limit as everyone else