British Speedway Forum

Glasgow v Edinburgh BSN Cup 10/5/24@7-30

1 hour ago, snapper said:

Just a pity their own fans don't think that last night must have been one of the lowest Monarchs visiting support I can remember their used to pack out the fourth bend 

Have you ever a good thing to say about Edinburgh?  No thought not.

A good number from Edinburgh off to Poland for the GP, all booked before the fixture was arranged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Noelinho said:

And don't get me started on the transponders. Fair enough, the ref has to accept what they say, but they're wrong too often. 

I wasn't there, and have no opinion on the evidence of eyesight from wherever in the stadium.

But I have to challenge your suggestion that transponders are "wrong too often".       My belief is that, in GPs, in the UK and at every back-street go-kart track for twenty years and more, transponders are accurate and reliable.

When have they ever been proved wrong?      

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

I wasn't there, and have no opinion on the evidence of eyesight from wherever in the stadium.

But I have to challenge your suggestion that transponders are "wrong too often".       My belief is that, in GPs, in the UK and at every back-street go-kart track for twenty years and more, transponders are accurate and reliable.

When have they ever been proved wrong?      

There’s been proof of at least two wrong calls in Championship this season, with a good few others being very dubious. Now that is fine if those tracks don’t have transponders, but we were told that they were in place now. Also a transponder in speedway simply cannot be reliable, as you cannot attach a transponder to a front tyre can you. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

There’s been proof of at least two wrong calls in Championship this season, with a good few others being very dubious. Now that is fine if those tracks don’t have transponders, but we were told that they were in place now. Also a transponder in speedway simply cannot be reliable, as you cannot attach a transponder to a front tyre can you

I believe the transponders are on the handlebars so people need to look at who's handlebars cross the line first, rather than tyre.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

There’s been proof of at least two wrong calls in Championship this season, with a good few others being very dubious. Now that is fine if those tracks don’t have transponders, but we were told that they were in place now. Also a transponder in speedway simply cannot be reliable, as you cannot attach a transponder to a front tyre can you. 

Perhaps if someone explain how they really are used would help.They have been used in other bike sports without any controversy for many years.Are speedway using a different system?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickinho said:

It's not all doom and gloom though for the Tigers if JP maintains his third heat leader scores and Flint ups his game. If this happens then Glasgow would have four heat leaders and a handy pair of reserves. Not bad at all. 

The season is long.

It is a long season but if riders like Starke are only riding once a week with an occasional week off they arent going to improve unless they invest their own time in track days.

Flint def needs more track time at Ashfield, needs to carry more speed into turn three and know when to hug the curve and when its a lost cause. He'll get better as the season goes on but in the meantime I think it'll be more of the same from him.

13 hours ago, Gazc said:

I’m guessing Blobby is not back yet, he would usually be all over this at the end of the 3rd lap off that super heat.

Hello I know you’ve missed me but I’m here and feeling rather smug today. 

We seem to have a winning mentality this year which has been missing. Was a great nights racing Pickering and Harris being the stars of it.

I thought Harris got 3rd was surprised but of course very pleased when they announced they hadn’t as big cami was wondering around shaking the monarchs hands in the pits before it was announced with  big smile on his face thinking that he had then he heard the announcement his face was a picture was a brilliant watch. Also very much enjoyed the desperation of them trying to get the the drone footage up on the big screen which just topped  it all off. 

As a neutral though what a meeting that was it had it all. Who said speedway is dying.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, MD said:

Flint def needs more track time at Ashfield, needs to carry more speed into turn three and know when to hug the curve and when its a lost cause. He'll get better as the season goes on.

He's never taken to Ashfield in all the times he's ridden it and it's a track he doesn't look like he's ever going to master. 7 will be his average at home. Maybe Cammy brought him in for the away meetings which are important over the course of the season but I can't say if this is what went through his mind when signing him. I'm a bit biased because I miss Glasgow having Claus in the team as he was always good entertainment and hard riding.

Congratulations to Glasgow for producing a race track with so many passing lines / options. The racing was a sight to behold and one of the best race meetings I have ever attended.

Even Kelvin Tantrum would’ve ran out of superlatives watching Josh & Bommer,  So much respect between them last night.

But the burning question from me has to be ….. Why oh why have we no video to relive such brilliant racing? BSN missed a beauty too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eric i said:

I believe the transponders are on the handlebars so people need to look at who's handlebars cross the line first, rather than tyre.

It's being suggested that Harris had his on his back mud guard. 

Edited by Beirao
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MD said:

It is a long season but if riders like Starke are only riding once a week with an occasional week off they arent going to improve unless they invest their own time in track days.

Flint def needs more track time at Ashfield, needs to carry more speed into turn three and know when to hug the curve and when its a lost cause. He'll get better as the season goes on but in the meantime I think it'll be more of the same from him.

Flint is really a bit of a gater if you take in his career.He doesn’t generate excitement with rides from the back very often.Just my opinion.Still young but is not really kicking on.Doing to much IMO it’s all about making money.

5 hours ago, snapper said:

Just a pity their own fans don't think that last night must have been one of the lowest Monarchs visiting support I can remember their used to pack out the fourth bend 

To be fair, there were a good lot on the back straight enjoying the sunshine and as previously mentioned, a large Gang off to the GP but we are forever stuck with the “elephants” who vowed never to return. It’s obviously their prerogative but Personally, no-one will stop me following and supporting my team and last night (as before) who are the losers?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MD said:

I don’t regard Flint as a stylish rider with fantastic bike skills .He is fast when in front and can pick where he rides on the track.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

I don’t regard Flint as a stylish rider with fantastic bike skills .He is fast when in front and can pick where he rides on the track.

Then Glasgow isnt the track for him, you've got to be an all out racer at your level to win points at Ashfield as even if you gate you can be caught.

I wonder what it is that Glasgow saw in him to prompt his signature. Perhaps they see value in his average or that they think he is a decent longer term acquisition. I don't think he is the right rider for us this season, with such a low points limit every point needs to work for us and there is no hiding place when it doesn't. No one can be carried.

Edited by MD

5 hours ago, eric i said:

I think they are on the headstock which the handlebars are fitted to so are about 12-15 inches behind the front of the front tyre. The "loop" which receives the signal is buried the same distance behind the start line so receives the signal as the front tyre crosses the line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

You should check the facts before coming out with this unsubstantiated waffle. 

For your enlightment read this:-

RIDERS NOTICE: PLACEMENT OF TRANSPONDERS - Speedway Control Bureau. All riders are reminded that Transponders are to be used and it is the responsibility of the rider that they are charged and that they are placed on either the 'H' piece of the forks or in the pouch of the fork cover at the back of the handlebars.

Transponders are used by other motorsports and are more accurate than visual observations, including Calamity Brown's defective vision, or Glasgow's overheard drone camera :rofl:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

I love winning in Glasgow even more so if they feel a little hard done by. Has Cami calmed down yet?

Wish he'd look closer to home, like giving stark 4 rides and the gate positions for super heat. Trying to deflect from a pretty poor performance is bad craic