British Speedway Forum

Tigers v Aces KO Cup 2nd leg

If you look further back Bailey gifted a point to Edwards in heat 2, trying to pass Mountain on the outside.  Mountain was by far the best reserve tonight and had Lemon put him in heat 14 I'm sure he'd have beaten Edwards and may have held Pickering up for long enough to give Cook a decent lead.  Yes, he'd have been off the bloody awful gate 3 but it wasn't such a handicap later on and Mountain was gating well.
There wasn't much passing really, from heats 9-11 two 5-1's (1 for each team) turned into 3-3's on turns 3 & 4.  Firstly Pickering sneaking around Mountain to make the Belle Vue reserve switch to the outside which allowed Holder senior to pass him inside, a heat later Holder junior stuffed Howarth allowing Lidsey & Cook through.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Woffy clearly jumped at the start in the super heat while on a warning... ref bottled it!

Yes indeed Tai clearly moved before the start in the Super Heat which went unpunished.

A very exciting finale to the meeting all the same!

• Like 1

Something desperately needs to be done at Owlerton with gate 3 (and possibly 2), so unfair on the riders who have that no matter what stage of the meeting (unless you get away with a roller!), it’s the same week in week out.  Either the trackmam isn’t listening to the riders asking for the star line to be dug up completely as like packed concrete now so no chance of getting a rut to use to get off the start, or he just hasn’t the tools/knowledge to do so. Such as shame as you can write off whoever is in the gate which spoils the racing 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Col said:

If you look further back Bailey gifted a point to Edwards in heat 2, trying to pass Mountain on the outside.  Mountain was by far the best reserve tonight and had Lemon put him in heat 14 I'm sure he'd have beaten Edwards and may have held Pickering up for long enough to give Cook a decent lead.  Yes, he'd have been off the bloody awful gate 3 but it wasn't such a handicap later on and Mountain was gating well.
There wasn't much passing really, from heats 9-11 two 5-1's (1 for each team) turned into 3-3's on turns 3 & 4.  Firstly Pickering sneaking around Mountain to make the Belle Vue reserve switch to the outside which allowed Holder senior to pass him inside, a heat later Holder junior stuffed Howarth allowing Lidsey & Cook through.

Heat 2 don’t think Mountain realised it was Bailey along side him going into bend 3 and pushed him wide .heat 14 a difficult one I thought Bailey was doing ok swapping him with Mountain could have had a different outcome but it’s all if s and buts .I personally enjoyed the meeting seeing the GP lads in heats 13/15 going at it brilliant.Woffy lifting bend 3/4 missing holder bewley quick to switch back and get under him going into bend 1 these lads can ride them bikes .Finished on time hopefully you we re back on the M1 by 21.45 lol

• Like 1

i think left home 20 past 6 , got back home 10.15. probably saved 15 mins being on a bike just getting out of car park. i do wish the back straight was open best view was  from there in the past. 

Edited by DazS
  • Like 2

As a tigers supporter I have to say that I think B.V. lost it rather than the Tigers winning it. It was plain to see that there tactics from B.V.early on in the meeting were " no last places". You could tell by the body language and hear it from the sound of the engine that they not riding flat out. As we came to the last few races all that changed. If they had gone flat out from the start we would have been dead and buried by heat 11. As a spectical the last 4 heats were fantastic. Sheffield were not at their best but when they do get it together someone ids going to take a beating. As a closing thought I would rather have meeting as close as that in the end rather than Tigers scoring 50+ points, as long as we win. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, r8gdp said:

Finished on time hopefully you we re back on the M1 by 21.45 lol

Haha.  I was back on the M1 way before that, but it was 50 mph for most of he time I was on it, then the A38 and A5 were partially shut so a bit of a pain!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Col said:

Haha.  I was back on the M1 way before that, but it was 50 mph for most of he time I was on it, then the A38 and A5 were partially shut so a bit of a pain!

The M1 is a total joke at the moment... 2 hours from Leicester! for 60 miles! They may as well just close it and do what ever it is they need to do!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4BM said:

Something desperately needs to be done at Owlerton with gate 3 (and possibly 2), so unfair on the riders who have that no matter what stage of the meeting (unless you get away with a roller!), it’s the same week in week out.  Either the trackmam isn’t listening to the riders asking for the star line to be dug up completely as like packed concrete now so no chance of getting a rut to use to get off the start, or he just hasn’t the tools/knowledge to do so. Such as shame as you can write off whoever is in the gate which spoils the racing 

I suspect you have been going for longer than me - but its been a joke for 20+ years now!

41 minutes ago, Col said:

Great race that - from were I was on the 3rd / 4th bend it seemed that Pickering and Holder were initially getting a bit in eachothers way which seems to be perhaps the case in the video but they eventually got past! But thats the kind of racing you want to see each week not someone half a straight ahead by the end of the race.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wollyhat said:

As a tigers supporter I have to say that I think B.V. lost it rather than the Tigers winning it. It was plain to see that there tactics from B.V.early on in the meeting were " no last places". You could tell by the body language and hear it from the sound of the engine that they not riding flat out. As we came to the last few races all that changed. If they had gone flat out from the start we would have been dead and buried by heat 11. As a spectical the last 4 heats were fantastic. Sheffield were not at their best but when they do get it together someone ids going to take a beating. As a closing thought I would rather have meeting as close as that in the end rather than Tigers scoring 50+ points, as long as we win. 

Exactly what i felt mid meeting pack the 2nd and 3rd and maybe lose by 3-4 pts at the worst. Speedway equivalent of coming and shutting up shop football style!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wollyhat said:

Yeah right, of course that was the tactics let make it sound like we not riding flat out we don’t want to win races, score more points and earn more money. What are you talking about?

Thats what happens when the Sheffield heatleaders were doing better the Belle Vue heatleaders and the Belle  Vue second strings and reserves were better the Sheffield you are going to get 3-3’s.

Nice to see Woffinden admitted in his interview online that he moved in the super heat and should have been excluded as was on a warning. 

• Like 1

See Bates is at it again, what was it this time free carvery? If that’s the way you need to win, we’ll leave it with you. :nono:

At least the racing was great - oh wait a minute. :sad:

The only silver lining is that Tigers fans have to endure that dross for an additional 15 heats. :rofl:

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, ouch said:

See Bates is at it again, what was it this time free carvery? If that’s the way you need to win, we’ll leave it with you. :nono:

The only silver lining is that Tigers fans have to endure that dross for an additional 15 heats. :rofl:

Magnanimous in defeat..

I like it....:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Yeah right, of course that was the tactics let make it sound like we not riding flat out we don’t want to win races, score more points and earn more money. What are you talking about?

Thats what happens when the Sheffield heatleaders were doing better the Belle Vue heatleaders and the Belle  Vue second strings and reserves were better the Sheffield you are going to get 3-3’s.

Nice to see Woffinden admitted in his interview online that he moved in the super heat and should have been excluded as was on a warning. 

About time we had some luck with refereeing against Belle Vue. Payback for decisions in both legs of the 2022 playoff final. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Great race that - from were I was on the 3rd / 4th bend it seemed that Pickering and Holder were initially getting a bit in eachothers way which seems to be perhaps the case in the video but they eventually got past! But thats the kind of racing you want to see each week not someone half a straight ahead by the end of the race.

Also a perfect example of why Belle Vue lost. Bewley GP riding and just clearing off for the win, instead of helping his team mate. This is where the supposedly 'past it' Woffinden is head and shoulders above Bewley in team racing. The work he puts in to support his fellow riders to get heat advantages is what all heat leaders should do.

Picko does the same here. Once he has passed Mountain you can see him looking for Holder and then creating the space. Team riding at it's best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ouch said:

The racing was far better against Oxford but that’s how it goes some weeks, our reserves and Howarth dreadful were never looking likely to pass any BV riders and Lidsey, Cook, Kurtz and Bewley never going to pass Woffy or Holder