British Speedway Forum

King’s Lynn Stars v Leicester Lions - Thursday 9th May

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Of course...

But the spiral started ages ago...

Phil M has his work cut out certainly...

This could/should be his biggest test

• Like 2

Just now, FromBendThree said:

Seven. Why are Oxford running 3 teams.?

Insurance for when Birmingham fold or Buster pulls the trigger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

I am obviously not up to date as I thought Poland were only allowed Thursday for rerunning meetings that had been rained off.

Nope they have priority on Thursdays now, was given away by the Premiership CEO last season.

Next season they will run Extraliga 2 matches on Thursdays so I guess UK will have to run all fixtures on one day (Monday) like Sweden and Denmark do now.

• Like 1

buster will be doing this on principle, and for that you do have to admire it.

yes it will upset people/other promoters, but the only way the league can succeed is if all of them stuck together, one way or the other

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hasta la vista said:

So many on here saying that this situation is the biggest test for the Prem CEO so far. He gave the Poles Thursdays so he can't exactly go against Buster now can he?!

To be fair thinking about it he shouldn't really even be involved, it's a clear beach of the SCB's regulations, so it will be Neil Vatcher's and the sports regulators biggest test. 

1 minute ago, iainb said:

To be fair thinking about it he shouldn't really even be involved, it's a clear beach of the SCB's regulations, so it will be Neil Vatcher's and the sports regulators biggest test.

You honestly think Vatcher is actually independent to the Prem CEO?!
They are both on the BSPL payroll!

3 hours ago, SpeedwayFan91 said:

So Speedway “fans” would rather King’s Lynn lose thousands of pounds by fielding an understrength team and getting a poor crowd on the night plus poor crowds in future and potentially not running next season… absolutely piss poor from the British Speedway “community”

Don't think they would have lost thousands of pounds they could have just brought in a guest, as for fielding an understrength team we are used to that so it wouldn't matter too much.

Poland will do whatever they like, they hold the purse strings thanks to the television coverage and no one is going to be allowed to get in the way of the juggernaut that is Polish speedway. It is time that UK speedway makes its mind up and decide if they want to compete or plough their own furrow. Given the way it seems to be going speedway in the UK should run its own show on nights that benefit clubs, promoters and punters and let the riders decide where they want to race. U K speedway terms are this and they tell the riders to decide where you want to commit and based on that commitment you build a business model rather than have it chipped away at by overseas bodies. That means the governing body meets in September and sets out the terms and team building for the following season is completed by the end of November. Something has to give and the UK side should not capitulate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TINYS said:

as for fielding an understrength team we are used to that so it wouldn't matter too much.

According to the regulations there is no such thing as an under strength team anymore. 

8 minutes ago, hasta la vista said:

You honestly think Vatcher is actually independent to the Prem CEO?!
They are both on the BSPL payroll!

We'll find out as there is no defence for this breach of the regulations

4 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Poland will do whatever they like, they hold the purse strings thanks to the television coverage and no one is going to be allowed to get in the way of the juggernaut that is Polish speedway. It is time that UK speedway makes its mind up and decide if they want to compete or plough their own furrow. Given the way it seems to be going speedway in the UK should run its own show on nights that benefit clubs, promoters and punters and let the riders decide where they want to race. U K speedway terms are this and they tell the riders to decide where you want to commit and based on that commitment you build a business model rather than have it chipped away at by overseas bodies. That means the governing body meets in September and sets out the terms and team building for the following season is completed by the end of November. Something has to give and the UK side should not capitulate.

That Ship sailed several years ago..

The BSB know their place and run a very successful Championship(s)..

The WSB organically.take the best from the BSB who ensure a pipeline of replacements to keep their own competitions successful...

For far too long the ego of the UK promoters clung on to wanting the stars who all, virtually en masse, cleared off when Sky pulled out...

That was the time to "go it alone" on the best night for each track, and grow the sport collectively., as one...

They didn't do it, as one or two GP stars said they would ride if you fitted their agenda...

Now we are down to a bare bones number of teams, and a good job too, as just one more in either league and that league would struggle to fill the places..

Years of ego led poor planning and decision making is the challenge for Phil M....

48 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Punish him and he can Foxtrot Oscar and just run Stock Cars..

No deterrent for any promoter unfortunately so they can all do what they want..

When they want..

In the interests of Speedway though obviously.....:D

Agree. He side stepped any chance of Peterborough running this year and if the truth be known he has probably had his fill of speedway and may make more from stocks and bangers, therefore you can see why he probably thinks why should I allow my revenue be dictated by some jack arse riders who are controlled by some over zealous body and therefore these riders commitment to UK racing  has to be questionable. I am not defending him and feel sorry for the loyal stars supporters who deserve better and I am sure that the team in the right hands can prosper, it just needs U K speedway to act as a cohesive body and not run in silos with the self interest of a few and the clubs to work together.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1 valve said:

and 100% unavailable as known for at least the past four weeks!

I had a look at Sportowefakty and they published this date on 25 JANUARY.

That's 14, yes FOURTEEN weeks.

If this was such a problem for King's Lynn why didn't Buster do something about it in February, or March, or even April?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SpeedwayFan91 said:

So Speedway “fans” would rather King’s Lynn lose thousands of pounds by fielding an understrength team and getting a poor crowd on the night plus poor crowds in future and potentially not running next season… absolutely piss poor from the British Speedway “community”

May save short term, how much will it cost long term?. Goodwill seems to be running low,

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RS50 said:

May save short term, how much will it cost long term?. Goodwill seems to be running low,

KL might have got beat using guests, which would be detrimental to the club..

And the sport is down to the die hards anyway who accept anything they are given, so they will always turn up..

And if some kind of protest existed from KL fans, or he got "punished" then Buster could just say "sack it, I will run just the (profitable) Stox"....

So. Good luck finding someone to take if over if he did..

Especially as he is the landlord....:D

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

KL might have got beat using guests, which would be detrimental to the club..

And the sport is down to the die hards anyway who accept anything they are given, so they will always turn up..

And if some kind of protest existed from KL fans, or he got "punished" then Buster could just say "sack it, I will run just the (profitable) Stox"....

So. Good luck finding someone to take if over if he did..

Especially as he is the landlord....:D

So, if Buster says he wants to run 3 riders in a race with a team over the points limit... the authorities cave in?

The point here for me is that it's clearly in the rules, he's just picked the wrong excuse! If you sign up for the rules you should abide by them

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

buster will be doing this on principle, and for that you do have to admire it.

yes it will upset people/other promoters, but the only way the league can succeed is if all of them stuck together, one way or the other

I'd agree with you if he changed the date 4 weeks ago & announced a new date at the same time.

That would have been much more professional for postponing at short notice for being "under strength".

If as soon as the Polish meetings were announced he put out a new date, explaining the dates were swapped so they'd have a full team, I think people would've been more understanding.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I had a look at Sportowefakty and they published this date on 25 JANUARY.

That's 14, yes FOURTEEN weeks.

If this was such a problem for King's Lynn why didn't Buster do something about it in February, March, or even April?

That's the question the SCB should be asking.

Edited by szkocjasid