British Speedway Forum

Witches v Lynn May 6th 2.15pm

Got to agree with Gavan though re start time.If the first race isn't due until 2.30pm then it shouldn't start any earlier.

5 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Quite clearly you wasn’t at the meeting 

The meeting didn’t amble on there was 2 falls into the air fence from Wojdylo and also a start gate malfunction in heat 6

It wasn’t raining from the start it started getting harder after heat 6 …. Heats 5 and 6 were the quickest times of the meeting hardly an issue with the track at that point 

It takes me an hour to get to Foxhall and twice this season I’ve practically got there as they have called it off which was far more frustrating than today 

The rain got much harder very quickly 

They never said there was to be an interval …. Only mentioned that they would take one after heat 10 to work on the track

If you was there you would have heard Nicholls on the mike explaining how hard ALL riders were finding it AND the reasons …Who wants to see top riders two wheeling around bends 

So yes I was frustrated today but there was nothing that could have been done so I don’t see why you need to make stuff up 

I was at the meeting and I did think that there was no real pace about beating the impending rain. Equally it was announced there would be a break and then after that the interval was announced.  Wojdylo's falls of course add delays but there was time to get more than 10 heats in today.

I have no criticism of the riders and agree that no-one wants to see riders struggling round the bends, but as a counterpoint I went to Oxford's opening night this season and knowing the rain could return the pace of the meeting was kept going throughout - 15 heats seen and no complaints!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

some promotions have in the past made the next meeting cheaper if you produce your ticket from the reduced meeting, or have i imainged that?

Anyhoo who would think BV would get through 15 heats on and Monday BH Meeting and Ipswich not given that Ipswich is in the driest part of the country and BV probably the wettest!

manchester weather a myth pal !!

Living in an idyllic world?? I've been to Ipswich today!

It's nice to see you're so behind your team you're prepared to sacrifice racing - OK if the racing couldn't start to 2:30 I get that point but making no effort to hurry is not excusable. Any idiot could read the weather apps or internet sites - unless you're from Suffolk it seems, where it is always expected to be sunny!

9 minutes ago, glenantony said:

I was at the meeting and I did think that there was no real pace about beating the impending rain. Equally it was announced there would be a break and then after that the interval was announced.  Wojdylo's falls of course add delays but there was time to get more than 10 heats in today.

I have no criticism of the riders and agree that no-one wants to see riders struggling round the bends, but as a counterpoint I went to Oxford's opening night this season and knowing the rain could return the pace of the meeting was kept going throughout - 15 heats seen and no complaints!

Will declare now wasn't there - isn’t it the Refs job to run the meeting to time or quicker if needed? I bet old Frank Edben would have got through the meeting ok 

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 4

Just now, glenantony said:

Can not agree that they could have got more heats in… the 2 falls and start gate malfunction did lose time so yes maybe another heat or two if they didn’t happen 

After each race the two minutes were on and riders waiting at the entrance to the track 

Maybe if they had no grading after heat 4 I think it was, but then every track gets graded at that point 

Heat 6 Emil does 57.0 and then the heavens opened and Doyle does 60.7 in heat 7……that’s how quickly rain can affect a track 

They did extensively grade after heat 7 but they had to 

I don’t feel much more could have been done re the pace of the meeting 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glenantony said:

You’re letting your frustrations at not seeing a full meeting cloud your judgement here. There was absolutely nothing that could have been done to prolong the meeting. You can’t look at a forecast and suddenly decide to start a bit earlier to get it done it doesn’t work like that. They didn’t pi$$ about during the heats either. There were a couple of delays that couldn’t be helped, obviously. The only criticism that could possibly be made is they pushed through a couple of heats that probably shouldn’t have been run to get to the cut off of heat 10 to call a result. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

manchester weather a myth pal !!

Yeah not so convinced about that I live on the right side of the Pennines tho!  

Just now, GeneralMelchett said:

Yeah not so convinced about that I live on the right side of the Pennines tho!  

that's a matter of opinion pal !! i'll bet sheffield have more call offs for rain than b/vue for sure :rofl:

1 minute ago, glenantony said:

Living in an idyllic world?? I've been to Ipswich today!

It's nice to see you're so behind your team you're prepared to sacrifice racing - OK if the racing couldn't start to 2:30 I get that point but making no effort to hurry is not excusable. Any idiot could read the weather apps or internet sites - unless you're from Suffolk it seems, where it is always expected to be sunny!

Not from Suffolk but have friends there and the weather apps and times of rain was changing all day so at 12.30 when I was told Ipswich was dry with light showers I made the decision to go 

I’m not prepared sacrifice racing I live an hour away …. Twice this season I’ve got to the track and it’s been called off … the Oxford match also didn’t make 15 heats and if you ask me that one was drawn out and I was more frustrated with that meeting than today 

Frustrated about today absolutely…. Could we have seen more heats ??? Not really unless the falls or tapes didn’t happen 

Could they have cancelled earlier? No as it wasn’t raining and only LIGHT showers were forecast and if they had of postponed at say 12 people would have been up in arms 

14 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Quite clearly you wasn’t at the meeting 

The meeting didn’t amble on there was 2 falls into the air fence from Wojdylo and also a start gate malfunction in heat 6

It wasn’t raining from the start it started getting harder after heat 6 …. Heats 5 and 6 were the quickest times of the meeting hardly an issue with the track at that point 

It takes me an hour to get to Foxhall and twice this season I’ve practically got there as they have called it off which was far more frustrating than today 

The rain got much harder very quickly 

They never said there was to be an interval …. Only mentioned that they would take one after heat 10 to work on the track

If you was there you would have heard Nicholls on the mike explaining how hard ALL riders were finding it AND the reasons …Who wants to see top riders two wheeling around bends 

So yes I was frustrated today but there was nothing that could have been done so I don’t see why you need to make stuff up 

I arrived at about 1.30 and although the car park was rammed we got in reasonably quickly, it was very lightly raining from the start, well it was where we were sitting opposite the start, and the rain did vary from light to reasonably hard, which carried on until it was called off, nothing made up at all.

if the meeting had been run at a reasonable speed from 2.15 it would have easily been completed to heat 15, Wojdlo second exclusion when he went into the third bend fence was cleared pretty quickly yet we waited a while before it was rerun.

Their was no urgency at all

I do agree with an earlier post though, they’ve just got to come up with a better policy for these sorts of situations. Punters have paid full price to watch 15 heats of action, and they’ve only got to watch 10 but get no money back. That can’t be right surely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

that's a matter of opinion pal !! i'll bet sheffield have more call offs for rain than b/vue for sure :rofl:

There has been this year for sure - as we say all the bad stuff comes from the west! 

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You’re letting your frustrations at not seeing a full meeting cloud your judgement here. There was absolutely nothing that could have been done to prolong the meeting. You can’t look at a forecast and suddenly decide to start a bit earlier to get it done it doesn’t work like that. They didn’t pi$$ about during the heats either. There were a couple of delays that couldn’t be helped, obviously. The only criticism that could possibly be made is they pushed through a couple of heats that probably shouldn’t have been run to get to the cut off of heat 10 to call a result. 

Absolutely 100% spot on

Heat 8 Thompson and Jenkins couldn’t see and baulked each other from sliding all over the place … Jenkins holding his hand up to apologise and then pulling up 

Heat 9 Wojdylo slides into the fence… another delay …. In the re run Klindt filled in on first corner … can’t see and poodles around miles behind…… Nicholls lets himself drop miles back so he could see and not inadvertently hinder Ellis 

Heat 10 How Emil stayed on was unreal 

So yes I agree it could have been called off after heat 8 very easily 

Just now, GeneralMelchett said:

There has been this year for sure - as we say all the bad stuff comes from the west! 

think you had better look at last 2 seasons at sheffield for call offs :t:

Just now, AceBelle said:

think you had better look at last 2 seasons at sheffield for call offs :t:

I am sure you’d be right but you confuse me with someone who really cares that much to check it - let’s just hope it’s not raining Thursday! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Can not agree that they could have got more heats in… the 2 falls and start gate malfunction did lose time so yes maybe another heat or two if they didn’t happen 

After each race the two minutes were on and riders waiting at the entrance to the track 

Maybe if they had no grading after heat 4 I think it was, but then every track gets graded at that point 

Heat 6 Emil does 57.0 and then the heavens opened and Doyle does 60.7 in heat 7……that’s how quickly rain can affect a track 

They did extensively grade after heat 7 but they had to 

I don’t feel much more could have been done re the pace of the meeting 

Your making excuses and as for after race the two minutes were on and riders waiting at the entrance to the track is pure fantasy, are you sure you were at the meeting

6 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I arrived at about 1.30 and although the car park was rammed we got in reasonably quickly, it was very lightly raining from the start, well it was where we were sitting opposite the start, and the rain did vary from light to reasonably hard, which carried on until it was called off, nothing made up at all.

if the meeting had been run at a reasonable speed from 2.15 it would have easily been completed to heat 15, Wojdlo second exclusion when he went into the third bend fence was cleared pretty quickly yet we waited a while before it was rerun.

They were literally putting the two minutes on as soon as the race ended with the riders getting straight out on track what more do you want? 

paramedic is always given time to ensure a rider is ok following an accident, as soon as the paramedic gave the ref the thumbs up following wodylo’s crash the two mins were on what more do you want?

you can bang on about starting the racing at 215 all you want, but that’s not the racing start time 230 is. 

2 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Your making excuses and as for after race the two minutes were on and riders waiting at the entrance to the track is pure fantasy, are you sure you were at the meeting

Accept that’s literally what happened 

5 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

A few very light spots of rain nothing that would have stopped the meeting as shown by heats 6 and 7 times

The problem was after heat 6 it was very hard … I sit on 2nd bend and the 4 of us and many others went under shelter of the food outlets on the second bend 

When riders fall on a wet muddy track it takes a bit longer for the other riders to get back up to tapes as they clean the bike a bit and themselves…. 
so playing devils advocate if when Wojdylo fell they ‘got on with it’ we might have seen 1 more heat at best….. and by this point the track was gone so another heat would have been awful viewing 

Those who are saying they should have got on with it means we may have had 13 heats not 10

But heats 8,9 and 10 wasn’t exactly speedway I wouldn’t have wanted to see heats 11,12 and 13 with riders two wheeling either 

Hugely frustrating day and wasted money but hard to avoid unless with hindsight you didn’t go