British Speedway Forum

Witches v Lynn May 6th 2.15pm

I can understand the point of getting to heat 10, Lynn were never gonna win of it gets to heat 15, not would they have a chance if it was re-arranged. But I feel for the public paying full price for 2/3 of a meeting.

Feel there should be some sort of refund in cases like these.

• Like 8

Glad I gave this one a swerve in favour of BV, that wasn't a classic, this one was never going to be... but at least I got to see 15 heats in Manchester!

12 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I can understand the point of getting to heat 10, Lynn were never gonna win of it gets to heat 15, not would they have a chance if it was re-arranged. But I feel for the public paying full price for 2/3 of a meeting.

Feel there should be some sort of refund in cases like these.

Saved money on points, so maybe, a pro rata refund..?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Saved money on points, so maybe, a pro rata refund..?  

some promotions have in the past made the next meeting cheaper if you produce your ticket from the reduced meeting, or have i imainged that?

Anyhoo who would think BV would get through 15 heats on and Monday BH Meeting and Ipswich not given that Ipswich is in the driest part of the country and BV probably the wettest!

All but predictable ending sadly where the punters are short changed. 

Seems to dordle around at the start to let me more fans in, with a suspect forecast amazed the first heat wasn't at 1415 sharp.

Gates need sorting, just a sign to say where you need to queue up, less than impressed queueing in the adult cash line but because I had a child, had to queue up in the cash with adult and others line.... they did have an all card line not to be confused with the other lines.

Racing wasn't bad, Thompson and Wojdylo the stand outs. Less said about Lynn's middle order the better....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Panthers99 said:

Seems to dordle around at the start to let me more fans in, with a suspect forecast amazed the first heat wasn't at 1415 sharp.

Gates need sorting, just a sign to say where you need to queue up, less than impressed queueing in the adult cash line but because I had a child, had to queue up in the cash with adult and others line.... they did have an all card line not to be confused with the other lines.

Racing wasn't bad, Thompson and Wojdylo the stand outs. Less said about Lynn's middle order the better....

Still people queuing to get in at 1415. The meeting start time at Foxhall is the parade with the first being 15 minutes after, has been forever, if you started earlier without notice in advance lots of regular later arrivers would be pretty peeved missing the first couple of heats.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Still people queuing to get in at 1415. The meeting start time at Foxhall is the parade with the first being 15 minutes after, has been forever, if you started earlier without notice in advance lots of regular later arrivers would be pretty peeved missing the first couple of heats.

Been the same at Lynn for years,7.30pm parade first race at 7.45pm.When the rain comes,the same people always seem to say why didn't they start on time,or if they had started on time they would have got the meeting done etc.It wouldn't be very good if there were 50 or so people getting in the stadium at 7.40pm already having missed 2 or 3 races.

40 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

People know what time it starts so get there on time, and open the turnstiles a bit earlier. Simples

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TINYS said:

People know what time it starts so get there on time, and open the turnstiles a bit earlier. Simples

Exactly they know what time it starts which was 1415, the start of the meeting is the parade with the first race 15 minutes later. Pretty straight forward really.

• Like 1

unfortunately it looks as though a heavy shower put paid to the meeting.  just one of those things.  i don’t see any point in pontificating about it.  i doubt very much the lynn riders had the stomach for a fight.  they likely realised they were on a hiding to nothing so were quite happy to pack up and head home, live to fight another day

Edited by chun

1 hour ago, Panthers99 said:

Considering the weather forecast I was amazed the meeting wasn’t run at a reasonable pace to give everyone the chance to see a full meeting, it started to rain pretty much from the off but the meeting continued at a fairly average pace, despite the rain it was announced that we were taking the interval after heat 10 and they did even though the rain was still coming down and the last 3 heats clearly showed the riders were struggling somewhat, we then had another 15 minutes when it continued to rain, some attempt to lay a bit more shale on the track and then the inevitable announcement that the match had been abandoned.

The track looked fairly slick from the start and had clearly been prepared with the forecast in mind, if the meeting had started at 2.15pm and run at a reasonably brisk pace without an interval I suspect it would have easily finished before the rain made it not safe for racing but it wasn’t which benefited Chris Louis because he only had to pay his riders for 10 heats and Keith Chapman who only had to pay his team for the same.

It is a shame the 3,000 or so supporters that turned up didn’t get the same benefit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do get angry at the time wasted at meetings when anyone could read the weather forecast and predict problems. I'm sure people would rather see racing than be introduced to riders they already know and listen to what Ritchie Hawkins thinks ahead of the meeting. Today should have started earlier, been kept going at pace and have limited grading and breaks. If 50 people miss the start surely that is amply compensated by the rest of the crowd seeing more that the basic ten minutes of racing. 

I really try to always be positive about British speedway but with a good crowd for a Bank Holiday derby the public get shafted again - I don't want to see riders trundling round on dangerous tracks but I would expect promotors being more prepared to get the racing done when poor weather is expected.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Considering the weather forecast I was amazed the meeting wasn’t run at a reasonable pace to give everyone the chance to see a full meeting, it started to rain pretty much from the off but the meeting continued at a fairly average pace, despite the rain it was announced that we were taking the interval after heat 10 and they did even though the rain was still coming down and the last 3 heats clearly showed the riders were struggling somewhat, we then had another 15 minutes when it continued to rain, some attempt to lay a bit more shale on the track and then the inevitable announcement that the match had been abandoned.

The track looked fairly slick from the start and had clearly been prepared with the forecast in mind, if the meeting had started at 2.15pm and run at a reasonably brisk pace without an interval I suspect it would have easily finished before the rain made it not safe for racing but it wasn’t which benefited Chris Louis because he only had to pay his riders for 10 heats and Keith Chapman who only had to pay his team for the same.

It is a shame the 3,000 or so supporters that turned up didn’t get the same benefit.

Quite clearly you wasn’t at the meeting 

The meeting didn’t amble on there was 2 falls into the air fence from Wojdylo and also a start gate malfunction in heat 6

It wasn’t raining from the start it started getting harder after heat 6 …. Heats 5 and 6 were the quickest times of the meeting hardly an issue with the track at that point 

It takes me an hour to get to Foxhall and twice this season I’ve practically got there as they have called it off which was far more frustrating than today 

The rain got much harder very quickly 

They never said there was to be an interval …. Only mentioned that they would take one after heat 10 to work on the track

If you was there you would have heard Nicholls on the mike explaining how hard ALL riders were finding it AND the reasons …Who wants to see top riders two wheeling around bends 

So yes I was frustrated today but there was nothing that could have been done so I don’t see why you need to make stuff up 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, glenantony said:

I do get angry at the time wasted at meetings when anyone could read the weather forecast and predict problems. I'm sure people would rather see racing than be introduced to riders they already know and listen to what Ritchie Hawkins thinks ahead of the meeting. Today should have started earlier, been kept going at pace and have limited grading and breaks. If 50 people miss the start surely that is amply compensated by the rest of the crowd seeing more that the basic ten minutes of racing. 

I really try to always be positive about British speedway but with a good crowd for a Bank Holiday derby the public get shafted again - I don't want to see riders trundling round on dangerous tracks but I would expect promotors being more prepared to get the racing done when poor weather is expected.

Again was you there?

There was expected light rain not the amount there was in a short space of time

Parade at 2.15 for a 2.30 start the club isn’t allowed to start before 2.30 council rules…. 
All Ipswich fans know that the first race is 15 minutes after the parade 

What you are saying is start at 2.15 … let regulars miss the first 4-5 heats ….what then happens if the forecast light rain didn’t stop the meeting? Many disgruntled fans I would suggest 

Stop living in an idyllic world 

• Like 2