British Speedway Forum

Witches v Lynn May 6th 2.15pm

4 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

When I first started going you only got free re-admission if it was called off before the start of the 6th race!  So now it's heat 10 is a vast improvement.  Some sort of discount would be good - could be something simple like a free programme or £3 off (making it £20 and not £23. I'd be happy with that and sometimes it's the gesture that's important.

Especially when you are not paying out for Ht 13 and 15....;)

1 minute ago, SPEEDY69 said:

When I first started going you only got free re-admission if it was called off before the start of the 6th race!  So now it's heat 10 is a vast improvement.  Some sort of discount would be good - could be something simple like a free programme or £3 off (making it £20 and not £23. I'd be happy with that and sometimes it's the gesture that's important.

Correct, it’s the gesture. It would be complicated to issue refunds etc depending on when the call off is, after 10, 11, 12 etc. you have to generalise a little. Any call off that means you don’t see the full 15 heats, should have a small discount to the next meeting on issue of the rain off ticket. You’ve pitched those figures about right IMO. 

1 hour ago, glenantony said:

I feel that there are a few things to address here still. I am bemused by the Ipswich fans on here so defensive about their parade times - I too have attended speedway around the country and Europe but frankly I couldn't care less about riders saying hello to the crowd over real racing! We all know that the package is only 15 minutes so needs some filler but there are times when this doesn't make sense and I'm sure most of us have been to meetings when the parade is sacrificed or the interval delayed.

Now if the council have a ruling, that I fully understand, but it's a matter of communication to everyone, not just home fans, to say Tapes up at 2:30pm. If I turn up to se a 3:00pm kick off at Football I don't expect to see the team coming out to play at 3:15. Equally if labour laws insist there is a certain interval for track staff,  just let us know when the interval is called - at least we can moan at other factors then.

My real gripe/concern is that yesterday was another one of those chances to boost the sport - good crowd expected for a bank holiday derby and some first-timers were even acknowledged by the announcer. But what would the opinion be of those casual fans? How tempted would a family be to spend good money on a sport that pays so much heed to the weather, and ends up in everyone traipsing out feeling short-changed by only seeing two thirds of the races.  Maybe results shouldn't be called after 10 heats? Maybe refunds should be given up to Heat 15? Would promotors attitudes be different then?

I don't think the two minutes was put on immediately after every race, no matter what the local fans say, and I just didn't feel that enough urgency was shown - sorry Chris Louis! As I said I compared it to the Oxford match I attended earlier in the season where the meeting reached a full conclusion when the track was far from ideal and all parties were trying hard to get through as soon as they could due to the threat of another downpour. 

In the end I guess I would only have to endure another 5 heats of Ipswich putting my beloved Stars to the sword - and in the meantime I realise I've turned into my dad!

Oh for goodness sake!  We all know 2.15pm or whatever start time is stated speedway meetings never start at the quoted time, whether its for more track work, people still queuing (which does happen occasionally) or even riders i.e Chris Harris being stuck in traffic so meeting delayed for 15 mins, and numerous other reasons over the past years. As for the 15 minutes of actual racing I go for the whole couple of hours for an evening/afternoon out of the house to meet like minded speedway fans etc not just to watch 15 minutes racing.  I agree its annoying and needs looking at when we pay for 15 heats and only get to see 10 with the meeting declared especially when the last 5 could change the final result, although I don't think that would have applied yesterday.  Please stop knit picking and be grateful if you still have a team to watch (but for how much longer) as many speedway supporters no longer have that available to them.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mikebv said:

In this instance one third of the admission should be refunded..

If a waiter took your 25 quid meal off you, two thirds in, and said "we are closing early" you wouldn't be too impressed would you?:D

The BSP should work as a collective (which they say they do),  and, in this instance, KL should let their fans, who attended the match, in at their next home match for a reduced pro rrata price, and then get the money from Ipswich..

In a utopian world it would be a pro rata refund direct in cash or bank account, but doing it this way means attending the next meeting which will also help the clubs, especially as BHM draw  the largest crowds, some their only visits  so getting many of them to return has to be a positive..

"In this instance one third of the admission should be refunded..

If a waiter took your 25 quid meal off you, two thirds in, and said "we are closing early" you wouldn't be too impressed would you?:D"

What a totally unrealistic view. What other sport charges by the minute/hour? The majority of costs for putting on a sporting event are incurred whether it lasts 30 minutes or 3 hours.

I suspect that the favourite sport of the moaners on here is trolling.

14 hours ago, Gavan said:

And all this talk about the start time is hilarious 

Ive been going speedway for 40 years …. started at Hackney … make it a date Friday at 8…. Guess what …. The parade and intros started at 8.. racing about 8.15

Rye House I used to go to was 4 on a Sunday  …. Guess what parade at 4 and meeting about 4.15

Start time does not mean tapes up to me … it means the start of the evenings entertainment 

People moan that speedway doesn’t put on a show well those 15 minutes of parade and intros is about creating an atmosphere.

Its all well and good to say scrap that and start but then a lot of people miss the beginning 

If your cinema ticket says 8pm does the film start at 8pm? Some people get to the cinema about 10 minutes after the advertised time … imagine if they walked in and missed the first 10 minutes of the film!

Surely all speedway fans know start time doesn’t mean tapes up

Must admit I was very surprised that people actually believe that the announced start time is the actual 1st race!

Completely barmy!!!

Speedway meetings always have had a start time (2.15pm, 7.30pm etc) which anyone that has ever been to a speedway meeting knows that meetings start with a parade AT that scheduled time.

Heat 1 has never been at the announced start time.

The only exemptions have been when the weather is bad or poor forecast so they forgo the parade and start heat 1 straight away. That’s an exemption not a normality. 
It makes you wonder if people commenting have ever been to an actual meeting!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

In this instance one third of the admission should be refunded..

If a waiter took your 25 quid meal off you, two thirds in, and said "we are closing early" you wouldn't be too impressed would you?:D

The BSP should work as a collective (which they say they do),  and, in this instance, KL should let their fans, who attended the match, in at their next home match for a reduced pro rrata price, and then get the money from Ipswich..

In a utopian world it would be a pro rata refund direct in cash or bank account, but doing it this way means attending the next meeting which will also help the clubs, especially as BHM draw  the largest crowds, some their only visits  so getting many of them to return has to be a positive..

Unless you are dining at MacDonalds most restaurants are pay after you have eaten - maybe speedway should be pay on exit:D

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Must admit I was very surprised that people actually believe that the announced start time is the actual 1st race!

Completely barmy!!!

Speedway meetings always have had a start time (2.15pm, 7.30pm etc) which anyone that has ever been to a speedway meeting knows that meetings start with a parade AT that scheduled time.

The only exemptions have been when the weather is bad or poor forecast so they forgo the parade and start heat 1 straight away. That’s an exemption not a normality. 

I don’t believe anyone does actually Steve. As Chris Louis said last night, it’s been a wonderful time recently for Suffolk sport. The football team have just been promoted to the top tier, and the Speedway club currently sit top of the table. Then all of a sudden you’re getting barbs being fired from Norfolk way that look nothing more than petty pathetic jealousy considering the problems that are currently going on at their club. “glenantony” has posted a very long winded gripe about Chris Louis and Ipswich speedway for having the temerity to start their meeting yesterday ON TIME, and yet I notice he hasn’t made any kind of thoughts on his club postponing yet another fixture because a rider is missing. Strange that isn’t it?

Seems also to be a few new accounts all posting very similar things on this thread. Again, strange..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glenantony said:

I

In the end I guess I would only have to endure another 5 heats of Ipswich putting my beloved Stars to the sword - and in the meantime I realise I've turned into my dad!

don't we all eventually - to my mind this is a simple fix really have a start time and a tapes up time - maybe the BSPA site which to my mind IS wrong on this will make some tweaks!

23 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Completely barmy!!!

Not possible at Ipswich, their licence states the time of the first race, in this case 2.30 and it cannot be brought forwards.  It did start on time.  

• Like 1

Seems to me that the fault for the confusion lies with the BSPL for using the phrase 'tapes up' for the start of the meeting. 'Parade at a,b,c and first race at x,y,z' would clear it all up.

All of a bit of a mountain out of a molehill really though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Not possible at Ipswich, their licence states the time of the first race, in this case 2.30 and it cannot be brought forwards.  It did start on time.  

Fair enough, it’s not often meetings start the 1st heat at the scheduled time for starting the meeting tho anyway.

6 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Completely barmy!!!

The 2 clubs I've attended consistently over the years have their tapes up time at 19:32 Coventry & Leicester... now if you're unfortunate enough to attend a mickey mouse outfit where the meeting starts when people can be arsed to amble out onto the centre green then I can understand where any confusion can come from. 

:D

• Like 1

I never see eye to eye with Gavan on here but hes right regarding start times. 

In about 12 years of attending Newport for a 2.30 start time on a Sunday, parade would be 2.30 and first race 10-15 after. 

Seems to have got lost a bit here but Thompson again was looking superb before the rain came down. Unbeaten in his first two rides beating seasoned riders Iversen and Klindt before the rain made it a bit of a lottery in his final two. He’s showing fantastic potential and is improving all the time. Good to see. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Seems to have got lost a bit here but Thompson again was looking superb before the rain came down. Unbeaten in his first two rides beating seasoned riders Iversen and Klindt before the rain made it a bit of a lottery in his final two. He’s showing fantastic potential and is improving all the time. Good to see. 

Absolutely,  and with Emil looking almost back to normal,  they made a potent 1 and 2, especially at home. 

• Like 2

Thompson is going to be hot property this coming winter. I know a lot on here say riders ride where they want to ride and the asset system is worthless and while that’s true to a certain degree, from my experience riders generally won’t rock the boat when their parent club tell them they’re in their team. A few will and dig their heels in if they want to ride elsewhere, but the majority don’t. Thompson will almost certainly be ineligible for the rising star scheme next year due to his average, and Leicester will already have their eyes on including him as their number 6 on a 25% reduced bargain average. Louis would do well to enquire the cost of buying his contract from Leicester to avoid the risk of losing him. Rider contracts being swapped for actual money is very rare these days but if you have a wealthy backer, then sometimes it’s worth doing. This is one of those cases. Whoever lands Thompson on a 25% reduced average that should see him back in a reserve berth, will immediately have an advantage over everyone else. 

Edited by Aries
  • Like 2

I did worry his injury last season would hamper his progress, seems not to have which is great - He and Brennan and great examples of the R/S working really well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I did worry his injury last season would hamper his progress, seems not to have which is great - He and Brennan and great examples of the R/S working really well.

2 out of 67 ain't bad! That's very nearly a 3% success rate :D