British Speedway Forum

Riders' First Names

20 minutes ago, chunky said:

I'll keep my bloody mouth shut, then...

22 minutes ago, norbold said:

I was replying to BL65's post not yours, which is why I quoted it.

Something that perhaps not many people know is that when Split Squire Francis appeared for Wembley Reserves at Harringay in the opening meeting there in 1947 he was named in the programme as Wally Waterman. An easy mistake to make, I suppose.

1 minute ago, BL65 said:

Something that perhaps not many people know is that when Split Squire Francis appeared for Wembley Reserves at Harringay in the opening meeting there in 1947 he was named in the programme as Wally Waterman. An easy mistake to make, I suppose.

That would be a great name for a speedway rider!

On 5/3/2024 at 2:17 PM, norbold said:

Split (Squire Francis) Waterman

I believe that Hans Wasserman, a German rider who appeared for Reading back in the 70's was nicknamed Split, Wassermann being the German translation of Waterman. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sotonian said:

Vernon Walter Ross Gilbertson

Cecil Bailey

Marcus Bisson

Can't have Cecil; been several Cecils, including Brown and Forbes.

Can't have Marcus, as Marcus Williams rode for Exeter.

Ross used "Ross", so that doesn't count.

Sorry...

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Can't have Cecil; been several Cecils, including Brown and Forbes.

Can't have Marcus, as Marcus Williams rode for Exeter.

Ross used "Ross", so that doesn't count.

Sorry...

I couldn't think of any other Rosses though and you said "Middle names ARE acceptable".

Edited by Sotonian

28 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

I couldn't think of any other Rosses though and you said "Middle names ARE acceptable".

The reason I said it didn't count was because it appeared you were using Vernon, rather than Ross - which is what he went by. Had you just listed "Ross Gilbertson", there would have been no question.

However, off the top of my head, I can think of Ross Brady and Ross Nickisson.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, gjcone44 said:

no one remember the name tiger beech. or beach, or did i dream it.

I remember Tiger Beech very well. Rayleigh and Rye House mainly. His real first name was David. An average 5/6 point second string.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

Is Tiger Beech still with us? Actually I don't find these first names strange at all- my first name being Stanley (like Stan Stevens). Any more Stanleys you can think of in speedway!!!

17 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Any more Stanleys you can think of in speedway!!!

I can think of Stan Hart, Stan Dell, Stan Clark, Stan Bedford, Stan Holey, Stan Mauger, Stan Lemon, Stan Pepper, Stan Page, Stan Smith, Stan Greatrex, Stan Williams, Stan Taylor, Stan Pennell, Stan Spencer, Stan Lanfear, Stan Burnett, Stan Beardsall, Stan Lupton, Stan Dewhurst, Stan Jenkins, Stan Hodson, Stan Hawkins, Stan Crouch, Stan Bradbury, Stan Catlett and Stan Baines but my favourite speedway Stanley has to be Stanley Stadium (Liverpool).

32 minutes ago, BL65 said:

I can think of Stan Hart, Stan Dell, Stan Clark, Stan Bedford, Stan Holey, Stan Mauger, Stan Lemon, Stan Pepper, Stan Page, Stan Smith, Stan Greatrex, Stan Williams, Stan Taylor, Stan Pennell, Stan Spencer, Stan Lanfear, Stan Burnett, Stan Beardsall, Stan Lupton, Stan Dewhurst, Stan Jenkins, Stan Hodson, Stan Hawkins, Stan Crouch, Stan Bradbury, Stan Catlett and Stan Baines but my favourite speedway Stanley has to be Stanley Stadium (Liverpool).

Is that a yes then!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BL65 said:

Off the top of my head, what about Stan Tebby and Stan Bear?

• Like 2

I forgot to mention Stanislaw Tkocz, twice World Team Cup winner with Poland in the 1960s and a member of 11 Polish league championship winning teams. He qualifies as a Stan.

There is also the Ukrainian rider Stanislaw Melnychuk. Not totally sure he goes by the name Stan. Sure someone corrected me once when i saw him in Germany.

But at least he sometimes gets named Stan

El proximo miercoles 26 de Junio Facundo Albin disputara otro torneo internacional en Ucrania.
Lista participantes
Facundo Albin (Argentina)
Kastas Puodzuks (Letonia)
Pawel Miesiac (Polonia)
Norbert Kosciuch (Polonia)
Ondrej Smetana (Rep checa)
Jevgenijs Kostigovs (Letonia)
Stan Melnychuk (Ucrania)
Vitaly Lysak (Ucrania)
Marco Lewiszyn (Ucrania)
Andrij Kobrin (Ucrania)
Andriej Rozaliuk (Ucrania)
Dimitri Mostowik (Ucrania)
Nazar Fedorchuk (Ucrania)

and

COVENTRY boss Peter Oakes praised reserve duo Stan Burza and Ben Barker for keeping the Bees in contention at Belle Vue on Monday, both being paid for double figures in a 49-44 first-leg KO Cup defeat.
Oakes said: "I don't know how Stan does it because he's hardly ridden recently, and Ben was terrific as well. The two reserves and Chris Harris totally held us together.
"We looked disjointed, but five points isn't insurmountable so we're still very much in the Knockout Cup - but we won't hide behind the performance."

Edited by iris123

18 minutes ago, gjcone44 said:

think he rode for Poole in the eighties.

According to the rider history:

Stanley Frederick (Stan) BEAR
Born: 3 March 1958 Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Career record: (1982) Weymouth; (1983) Weymouth, Cradley Heath, Poole; (1984) Poole; (1985)
Poole, Wolverhampton.
International honours: Australian international (4 caps).

• Thanks 1