British Speedway Forum

Glasgow v Workington - league - 3 May @ 7.30pm

4 minutes ago, MD said:

Thats the second time its happened at Ashfield this season, the other being Schlien. Refs have possibly been told to apply it to the letter and hopefully it changes riders culture as the tapes fannying about has been needing dealt with for years. If there is no sanction it wont stop.

I agree i hate all the messing at starts,but compare with a delay of 15 mins to allow a van to turn up jump out with no checks and race to pulling back a foot or so.the ref at northside last week never used the 2 mins and the meeting ran ok ( apart from track work).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jaizer said:

I think it's doubly as galling seeing Tom's form this season in comparison. Whose to say that would be same if he'd stayed but just seems a few poor decisions this year. Tate's obviously another, taking gambles on guys like starke instead id rather take a chance on a young unknown. 

Brennan only missed out on a max at Lynn on Thursday by a whisker and we were saying on the terraces how changing his two home tracks seems to have helped take him to the next level. There will be other factors too and he might have done the same if he was still at Glasgow and/or BV but changing a comfortable/familiar environment often works.

As for Worrall he'll get it right as he's too good not to but three ain't good enough.

9 hours ago, Jaizer said:

I think it's doubly as galling seeing Tom's form this season in comparison. Whose to say that would be same if he'd stayed but just seems a few poor decisions this year. Tate's obviously another, taking gambles on guys like starke instead id rather take a chance on a young unknown. 

Werent we interested in Tate before his massive crash?

Give it time on Brennan, its still the early part of the season. I doubt he'd be the same if we retained him, he seemed quite lethargic last season and plateaud on his average. I've not heard a dissenting voice about him moving on this year, that seems reserved for Vissing. It is what it is now, we've got to get on with it and get more out of Worrall and our middle pairing.

Edited by MD
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I agree i hate all the messing at starts,but compare with a delay of 15 mins to allow a van to turn up jump out with no checks and race to pulling back a foot or so.the ref at northside last week never used the 2 mins and the meeting ran ok ( apart from track work).

That might be fine on that occasion but there are riders, and experienced ones at that who will rip the p!ss at the start gate if they can get away with it. They're not getting away with it any more from the meetings I've seen.

• Like 2

What a cracking meeting last night . Cracking atmosphere too with the good away support in attendance,  really enjoyed meeting up with my Cumbrian friends again . A big away support really makes it a better occasion.  

Anyway as for the meeting . Going by the new rules all this riders messing about at the start is obviously being cracked down on . I watched Pearson roll back with 10 seconds on the clock , but he went forward with about 5 seconds left , at that point Cook rolled back and wasn't at the tapes when the clock went to zero , the ref immediately put the white exclusion light on .

We got gifted a 5-1 in that heat due to young Zischke's misfortune with the bike stopping just yards from the finish line . But what a prospect he looks , won't be long before Premiership teams come calling . 

And what an improvement in Dan Thompson too , he also is looking a rider with real promise . 

For us , Harris was his usual dominant self , backed up by Flint , Pearson and Smith . But Worrall was dreadful and Starke needs to ride a better lawn mower . But young Hodder done his bit by backing Smith for the heat 2 , 5-1 . 

The heat 1 disasters came back to bite the Comets on the arse , but they are an exciting team and it was an enthralling contest. 

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, Paulco said:

What a cracking meeting last night . Cracking atmosphere too with the good away support in attendance,  really enjoyed meeting up with my Cumbrian friends again . A big away support really makes it a better occasion.  

Cracking amount of Workington fans, Id heard they'd brought a coach load up with them. And they had their banners and air horns out. Was great to see.Hope we can take the same down next weekend to witness a spanking I think we'll be getting.

1 minute ago, Cast1rn said:

Cracking amount of Workington fans, Id heard they'd brought a coach load up with them. And they had their banners and air horns out. Was great to see.Hope we can take the same down next weekend to witness a spanking I think we'll be getting.

…and some come in cars. My first visit, really enjoyed it, apart from the result. Great meeting with good racing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MD said:

Thats the second time its happened at Ashfield this season, the other being Schlien. Refs have possibly been told to apply it to the letter and hopefully it changes riders culture as the tapes fannying about has been needing dealt with for years. If there is no sanction it wont stop.

Totally agree. Fans  have been complaining about the starts for years and also the different interpretation of the rules by referees. The new rule is simple, can be understood by fans old and new, and even refs should be able to implement it consistently and fairly. It works in Poland and the Grand Prix. As an aside, I thought the meeting ran quickly finishing at c9pm and we still managed track gradings and the kids race. Finally  a wins a win and prior to the meeting I would have accepted any sort of win. Good to see and hear a good number of Comets fans, hope you all enjoyed the racing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Woke23 said:

Can't help but feel cheated after heat 1. What was the ref playing at

Not many in the Stadium though Cook done much wrong,I witnessed the Simon Lambert carry on at Berwick last week and the ref done nothing about it.They have too be consistent if they are going to tidy up the starting rules.

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

Didn’t manage to get up but from the updates seemed like a good meeting.

Glasgow fans always been up there as one of my favourites, and this post backs up my point. Enjoyed visits to Ashfield in the past too. Hopefully yous get a good load coming down next Saturday too 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Yea 52 seater coach and lots of cars travelled up to Tigger land, have heard Glasgow trying to bring a bus to worky next week, got a 6 seater tractor and trailer so far :D  am sure they are taking names. Get yourselves down to worky and enjoy the racing at the GT tyres Northside arena 

1 minute ago, Neila said:

Yea 52 seater coach and lots of cars travelled up to Tigger land, have heard Glasgow trying to bring a bus to worky next week, got a 6 seater tractor and trailer so far :D  am sure they are taking names. Get yourselves down to worky and enjoy the racing at the GT tyres Northside arena 

From those I was speaking with last night there seems to be a lot heading down, from watching the BSN, it looks like a cracking track.

2 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

From those I was speaking with last night there seems to be a lot heading down, from watching the BSN, it looks like a cracking track.

There will be a large travelling support next week , looking forward to it my first visit to Northside.

It is good to see Workington back and the feel good factor surrounding them.

• Like 3

:) Well who would have thought we would be back at Ashfield racing back in the Championship ! A really enjoyable meeting with some great racing . A bit of bad luck in heat one for Tate , could have been a draw . Great to see some of my old Glasgow pals and a big travelling support from the Comets created a great atmosphere . It’s good to be back ! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

:) Well who would have thought we would be back at Ashfield racing back in the Championship ! A really enjoyable meeting with some great racing . A bit of bad luck in heat one for Tate , could have been a draw . Great to see some of my old Glasgow pals and a big travelling support from the Comets created a great atmosphere . It’s good to be back ! 

Young Zischke really did impress on his first visit to Ashfield . The last young Australian I can remember having that immediate wow factor on his first laps of the Ashfield track was Darcy Ward 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mikebv said:

If I had paid to get in I would have been a bit cheesed off...

Two of the best riders in the league now not going head to head in heat one.. 

With the ref actually delaying the start of the meeting more than Cook did...!!

Still, they risk their lives reffing for our entertainment dont they? :rolleyes: :D

I think it’s naive to blame the referee here.

I too would have preferred to see Harris and Cook going toe-to-toe in the opening heat, but what’s the referee guilty of? Implementing the rule book?

In response to your first sentence, I paid to get in and was cheesed-off that Cook withdrew from the tapes as the other three were poised to begin. An entirely correct exclusion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Not many in the Stadium though Cook done much wrong,I witnessed the Simon Lambert carry on at Berwick last week and the ref done nothing about it.They have too be consistent if they are going to tidy up the starting rules.

He did enough wrong to be disqualified, on the other hand the ref did more than enough wrong not to disqualify Lambert.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

There will be a large travelling support next week , looking forward to it my first visit to Northside.

It is good to see Workington back and the feel good factor surrounding them.

Bring some extra money with you so you can sample the comets lager :drink: