British Speedway Forum

Glasgow v Workington - league - 3 May @ 7.30pm

Just now, Jaizer said:

I think it's doubly as galling seeing Tom's form this season in comparison. Whose to say that would be same if he'd stayed but just seems a few poor decisions this year. Tate's obviously another, taking gambles on guys like starke instead id rather take a chance on a young unknown. 

Tate looked fabulous tonight - a natural racer.

Great to see James keeping him behind, and Leon did well in heat 15 too. Bomber and Pearson is a great combination and Leon is definitely showing some improvement - hopefully a good amount more to come from him yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I think it's doubly as galling seeing Tom's form this season in comparison. Whose to say that would be same if he'd stayed but just seems a few poor decisions this year. Tate's obviously another, taking gambles on guys like starke instead id rather take a chance on a young unknown. 

The Starke signing was strange ,guess it was down to team average being lowered once again.

We were spoiled last season with the racers and quality we had , I get the feeling this season is going to be a slog.

• Like 4

Just now, Gazc said:

The Starke signing was strange ,guess it was down to team average being lowered once again.

We were spoiled last season with the racers and quality we had , I get the feeling this season is going to be a slog.

Aye you're right Gaz. We've had 4/5 years of cookie, Ben, bomber, rasser and Claus that I'm struggling to take to a gater like worrall. 

A year to enjoy the racing maybe 

16 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

I think we're jumping on Worrall a bit too quickly. Before tonight, he had 24+3 in three completed meetings - exactly what we're looking for from him.

He has also scored 3 points across 3 heat 13s and 1 heat 15 while not featuring in 2 heat 15s at Ashfield. Which translates nicely to utterly hopeless.

Worrall is one of the good guys in speedway and comes across as very professional. However, any Tigers fan with a modicum of knowledge knew exactly what we are getting with him. He is a gater and always will be and that does not bode well these days on our track.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I was at Workington last Sunday and Tate is some prospect. Tom B was great at Armadale tonight.

13 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Wasn't a fan at all when the team was announced. Worrall, Flint and Starke would have been some of the last riders I would have signed. Worrall before this meeting you could at least say was reliable just not as exciting as Basso, Flint has the potential to do something (though I think he is flattered a bit by riding with Starke) and Starke was I presume based on averages because he's been going downhill every season. Just seems like some strange choices for a team you'd expect to be competing for gold every year. I hope they can turn this around but changes may be on the horizon for us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CTD26 said:

Gutted to not come away with the points, but, might make a few people eat there words. Unlucky in heat 1 with cookie being thrown out and Tate’s bike packing in. Think we’ll be okay this season and not the wooden spooners like so many predicted. UTC!!

Hardly anyone said Workington would get the wooden spoon. 99% of people said that would be Plymouth.

But most people had them on the bottom 3, I'll give you that.

• Like 1

Harsh on Cook I feel,but very unlucky for Ziske in Ht1 he had Harris cooked coming of the last bend when his bike gave up,very impressive riding from him all through the meeting.Think I might have chanced Vissing in the last heat.But Harris would have probably done the business .Dan Thompson very impressive.Tigers look vulnerable but a wins a win.Bonus points might be difficult for them this season.

This match is the perfect example of how difficult it is for the weaker reserve racing at number 6.

Hodder wins heat 2, but doesn't meet another reserve. In his next two rides finishes last behind the Thompson / Vissing & Cook / Zischke pairings, then gets dropped from his 4th ride.

Compare that to Jack Smith, beats Leibmann (x4), McGurk and a great ride to beat Batchelor. But also loses to Liebmann, as well as Zischke, Thompson & Vissing (as expected).

Pretty similar standards shown by the two Glasgow reserves, yet Hodder scores 3 & Smith 8+1.

Edited by szkocjasid

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Also couldn’t believe the Starke signing.It could be a short season for Tigers.

Not a single mention on Jack Smith ?? 10 points last week 8 this week,

Had the beating of batchlor heat 4, pushed hard in 14 against Claus and was unlucky to get swallowed up in heat 8.

As a speedway fan heat 1 exclusion of cook was a joke, yes we can say it was by the letter of the law, however refereeing consistency in our sport is a joke.

Edited by Cast1rn
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Had the beating of batchlor heat 4, pushed hard in 14 against Claus and was unlucky to get swallowed up in heat 8.

As a speedway fan heat 1 exclusion of cook was a joke, yes we can say it was by the letter of the law, however refereeing consistency in our sport is a joke.

I'd love to know why Jack was so impressive last Friday out of the blue, and then reduced to looking like he'd never raced another rider at times on Wednesday, to looking like a solid reserve tonight.

Is it just really inconsistent equipment?

18 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

I'd love to know why Jack was so impressive last Friday out of the blue, and then reduced to looking like he'd never raced another rider at times on Wednesday, to looking like a solid reserve tonight.

Prob just really good at Glasgow and Redcar and struggles at other tracks? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Can’t disagree with this comment.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

So he beat Batchelor fair and square in heat 4. Other than that heat, he beat Liebmann x4 she beat him once and he beat McGurk in heat 2. If you look at the majority of reserves in the weakened CL they score their points off each other. last week Jack Smith bucked that trend as did Sam Hagon in his 1st meeting. Coincidentally, both attained their good scores against Oxford, who up until their match with Glasgow midweek. Their bottom end had hardly scored a point between them!

• Like 1

Well done the Tigers, thought you might nick it being at home.

Got to say  I felt aggrieved at the disqualification of Cookie in heat 1 especially has he had been at the gate in good time and far sooner than Bomber, poor decision by the ref for me . Just to compound the decision Tate had a mechanical (looked like another chain failure for him) coming off turn 4 lap 4 while in the lead turning a 3-3 into a 1-5. Bomber untouchable following his good fortune in heat 1 was ably supported by Leon Flint, James Pearson and  Jack Smith who was a different rider from the one who raced at Northside for Scunny on Sunday. Solid performance from Comets top 5,  but probably expected Claus to be a bit more dominant. The home reserves outscored Sam and Celina 11 to 2 which proved crucial , two or three points more between them would have gone a long way . Can't help thinking this was a missed opportunity . Thank you Dan Thompson for guesting and putting in a strong performance, much appreciated. 

Hope we can produce a stronger team performance tomorrow and overturn the 13 point deficit against Redcar and make it to the next round of the KO Cup.  

Enjoyed the trip as usual, the Facennas have done a great job with the stadium which is improving all the time, so well done them.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noelinho said:

He's had 10 years practice doing this, probably why he rarely get a full time team place

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

You could argue it was harsh on Cook, but he withdrew from the tapes and the rules are clear as day.

If I had paid to get in I would have been a bit cheesed off...

Two of the best riders in the league now not going head to head in heat one.. 

With the ref actually delaying the start of the meeting more than Cook did...!!

Still, they risk their lives reffing for our entertainment dont they? :rolleyes: :D

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Thats the second time its happened at Ashfield this season, the other being Schlien. Refs have possibly been told to apply it to the letter and hopefully it changes riders culture as the tapes fannying about has been needing dealt with for years. If there is no sanction it wont stop.

• Like 7