British Speedway Forum

Birmingham/ Aces

Well done the Brummies on the win.  Much better racing than the bore fest I watched earlier in the season.

The Aces look poorer on paper this season and I’ve seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

Bewley is way overrated and seems to be going backwards this season so far. 
Brennan starting to come of age and Pawlicki showing his undoubted class in the 15th.

I think what you have to take from it that as a neutral you watched some good racing and it was close until the end which is only a good thing for the sport especially to those watching for the first time, the worst thing that could of happened was Birmingham being soundly beaten and it being follow the leader. Take it for what it was, this isn’t the glitz and glam of poland. Hopefully now with Birmingham having their full 1-7 and getting more track time they won’t be the whipping boys.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Well done the Brummies on the win.  Much better racing than the bore fest I watched earlier in the season.

The Aces look poorer on paper this season and I’ve seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

Bewley is way overrated and seems to be going backwards this season so far. 
Brennan starting to come of age and Pawlicki showing his undoubted class in the 15th.

The Aces are poorer than last season..

Replaced Wright and Brennan with Cook and Blodorn, leaving no "reserve/second string' ar No6..

They had to shed more points than any other team so, unless unearthing a 'four point superstar' were always going to be a lesser force..

That said, they are only Dan Bewley away from winning most meetings so far, and Dan started last season poorly (over here), as well...

Looks like he makes his money at the NSS...

Blodorn and Cook both doing their part well though,  so the Aces will be in the play offs I would think, and also, they wont lose too many bonus points given their home track advantage..

A decent watch last night, with some good, close racing in every race,  hope it gives Brum some good local publicity in their drive to attract bigger crowds...

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The Aces are poorer than last season..

Replaced Wright and Brennan with Cook and Blodorn, leaving no "reserve/second string' ar No6..

They had to shed more points than any other team so, unless unearthing a 'four point superstar' were always going to be a lesser force..

That said, they are only Dan Bewley away from winning most meetings so far, and Dan started last season poorly (over here), as well...

Looks like he makes his money at the NSS...

Blodorn and Cook both doing their part well though,  so the Aces will be in the play offs I would think, and also, they wont lose too many bonus points given their home track advantage..

A decent watch last night, with some good, close racing in every race,  hope it gives Brum some good local publicity in their drive to attract bigger crowds...

Mountain ;) you’re right though, Cook is doing well and Mountain isn’t doing a bad job either by any means, but they’re not as strong as Wright and Brennan so Belle Vue definitely weaker than last year. Others on paper look stronger than last year so they’ll be up against it to lift the pot but they’ll always have a punchers chance over two legs because of their dominance around the NSS. 

Well done Brum, shock result, a very entertaining tv opener. Good stuff from Swindon-born Tom Brennan, a good lad. Good luck to the Brummies, just need a decent number 1, good all-around scoring.. Lidsey and Bewley very poor.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dornier said:

Ooops

Oops bonus point will be a cruise we have beaten every team on aggregate so far Monday won't be any different do that all season job done :t:

Really good to see all the postive comments on the match - often after a TV meeting there is a lot of negativity. So glad Birmingham won (Nothing against BV) as well otherwise the gap between the top 5 and bottom 2 would be geting too large - just need Kings Lynn to win a few now and we  might get a competitive battle for those 4 spots! We need an even and competitive league!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, DazS said:

its funny how we have biggest home advantage on probably the easiest and fairest race track in the country. !!

I don't get that one either?

I'd class previous tracks such as Eastbourne/Wolverhampton/Arena-Essex, as the 'home-advantage' type venues?

Failing that....Leicester's gate-'n'-go type track is the new Home advantage for me....simply because the home side can get the bike set-up just right for getting out the starts....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

I wouldn't go quite that far!

In the Leicester match, I had to go into the grandstand, it was so bitter cold ... I didn't last night, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was full again. Certainly, the crowd has been so much bigger this year than for a long time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, *JJ said:

In the Leicester match, I had to go into the grandstand, it was so bitter cold ... I didn't last night, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was full again. Certainly, the crowd has been so much bigger this year than for a long time.

What sort of attendances are they getting? They said they were down to 400 last year! Hopefully a few Wolves, Cradley and Cov fans will bolster the crowds.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Mountain ;) you’re right though, Cook is doing well and Mountain isn’t doing a bad job either by any means, but they’re not as strong as Wright and Brennan so Belle Vue definitely weaker than last year. Others on paper look stronger than last year so they’ll be up against it to lift the pot but they’ll always have a punchers chance over two legs because of their dominance around the NSS. 

I meant Blodorn and Cook replaced Brennan and Wright in the SS positions..

Meaning the Aces don't have that No6 at reserve this year to do what Blodorn did last, which was to almost be a third SS, who swapped in and out of positions through the year..

Although, if Dan continues his away form, we may have a very impactful No6.!!...:D

11 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Not quite sure why we went so wide in heat 15 - yes I know chasing the dirt etc but it wasn’t there - 

One trick pony im afraid, i just dont think hes the rider the hype makes him out to be.

• Like 1

That’s four live meetings I have watched this year and a problem where one gate was so much better or one was dreadful has surfaced in every one of them.

The closeness of the match kept this meeting alive as it certainly wasn’t the quality of the racing which was generally gate and go with the odd pass now and then, the middle section of the track was hopeless and really slick, with very little grip as riders found out.

Quite why tracks are not prepared to ensure gates are as even as possible and at least some grip everywhere to offer riders the chance to pass opponents is beyond me.

Their didn’t appear to be a vast amount of spectators watching, having some knowledge of Birmingham I am assuming most of the supporters were watching from inside due mainly to the weather as well as the view from trackside which is limited at best, but the home supporters went home happy following the expected decision after Pawlicki went down as the Kurtz exclusion settled the match in Birminghams favour.

19 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Standing room only.......again

59 minutes ago, DazS said:

its funny how we have biggest home advantage on probably the easiest and fairest race track in the country. !!

47 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I don't get that one either?

I'd class previous tracks such as Eastbourne/Wolverhampton/Arena-Essex, as the 'home-advantage' type venues?

Failing that....Leicester's gate-'n'-go type track is the new Home advantage for me....simply because the home side can get the bike set-up just right for getting out the starts....

That’s because Belle Vue DO have the biggest home advantage in the league, let’s not pretend otherwise here. Why are you all saying you’ll take all the aggregate bonus points if that wasn’t the case? Nobody racks up home scores in to the mid to high 50’s at home as consistently as Belle Vue do. The stats are there for all to see! The only team that occasionally make a decent fist of it there are Sheffield, probably because their riders also have a decent set up for big fast tracks. You need to be fast at the NSS, otherwise you get swallowed up very quickly even if you make the start. The home boys have the set up to a T, away riders very often struggle for speed around there, even the very best. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1