John "Tiger" Louis R.I.P.

There are no words that can do the memory of Tiger justice

A true legend locally, nationally and internationally

RIP John and thoughts with Chris and all the Louis family

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My all time favourite rider.

I was fortunate enough to be able to be in attendance to watch three of his finest individual achievements:-

1975 British Champion at Coventry.

1975 Third place in the World Final at Wembley after a run off with the great Ivan Mauger.

1979 Winner of the BLRC at Belle Vue following a truly memorable race with Bruce Penhall.

Tiger was a fantastic team man as well and led the Witches to back to back titles in 1975 and 1976.

A true legend of the sport.

My condolences to Chris and all the Louis family.

R.I.P. Tiger Louis!

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 2

Sad news. John was a thrilling rider, I saw him many times at Peterborough when I was a youngster, scoring 18 point maximums for England for fun.

Later when I was a Promoter John was always ready with advice and guidance - a true gentleman.

He will be missed.

RIP Tiger

John "Tiger" Louis was one of my first ever speedway heroes when watching in Division 2 as a youngster - when he came to visit everyone went to see him race!

And, then when I attended the 1972 World Final at Wembley where he so nearly made the rostrum - he finished joint fourth as I recall - what a night that was! Then, three years later, I was back at Wembley in 1975 to see him claim a well deserved third place in that year's World Final. Another great night.

I even had his picture, wearing those "Tiger" leathers, sellotaped to the front of my file at School - what a legend. And, many years later when I got to meet him he was great to talk to and always polite. Just a great bloke all round. They say don't meet your heroes - but I was absolutely delighted to meet that particular hero.

Condolences to all of his family and friends at this sad time - and I hope that they can take some comfort in the fact that he was so well respected in the world of speedway.

• Like 2

Very sad news...

One of the best English riders ever, and won many times, both individually and as a team man, domestically and internationally, in an era with many of the best riders who ever rode a speedway bike...

Condolences, and Best Wishes, to Chris and the rest of the Louis family...

R.I.P. "Tiger"....

On 4/5/2024 at 8:58 PM, WembleyLion said:

My all time favourite rider.

I was fortunate enough to be able to be in attendance to watch three of his finest individual achievements:-

1975 British Champion at Coventry.

1975 Third place in the World Final at Wembley after a run off with the great Ivan Mauger.

1979 Winner of the BLRC at Belle Vue following a truly memorable race with Bruce Penhall.

Tiger was a fantastic team man as well and led the Witches to back to back titles in 1975 and 1976.

A true legend of the sport.

My condolences to Chris and all the Louis family.

R.I.P. Tiger Louis!

Also former Hull, Boulevard track record holder 74.2 secs, 7 July 1971, the Tiger never worried about the Hull track being a tad narrow, squarish or bumpy, he just rode it.  I often wondered how much more he may have achieved had he been not a relative late starter in speedway at 28 / 29, as in addition to Ipswich he was also more than capable rider in the later years of his career at Halifax then at King's Lynn & was still pulling on an England body colour & scoring well at WTC level in his 40's. 

Condolences to the Louis family, RIP John 'Tiger' Louis, a true England great....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling x3