British Speedway Forum

Workington Comets v Scunthorpe Scorpions 6/4/24 3pm BSN

I live 1 mile inland from the track and the wind has considerably strengthened since this morning   been out for me walk, and in the big gusts, I got blown about,  imagine this on a bike at 60mph with 3 others beside you,  besides the sea in an exposed arena !!!  Also been another extremely soggy week in West Cumbria,  granted its dry today, track may have been ok  but the car parking could be very soggy,  was soft last week. Think the correct decision was made, these days elf and safety rules everything . One major event called off locally due to high winds is the festival of light, where walkers light up the path on catbells, a popular mountain overlooking Keswick . Most people disagreeing about the postponement do not live in the area and don't realise how bad the wind is now getting 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, j2ohh said:

entitled are we ? better to have proper racing than follow the leader , so IF you were a in charge of a club you would have gone ahead with most meetings , rain or shine .

did you not see the large puddle on scunny TV last week ?

anumber of years ago , riders where putting spoilers on their front wheels , dont know why . bur soon took them of due to gusts of wind taking them in another direction .

BTW the weather was not kind during the week upto the redcar meeting .

glad you got the baths comment .was it a wooden FLOOR ?

If you're going to wait for perfect conditions to run speedway in this country you can forget it. Everybody seems to be an elf and safety fairy these days... god help us if we have to goto war again! This country's screwed, we seem to be breeding a generation of complete pussies!

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

They have already seen speedway.Given the problems Leicester have had with the track over the years your comments are a bit weak.

It's not really a club loyalty issue, I'm the first to call Leicester out when they've ballsed up, which generally is quite frequently

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Despite clubs seemingly having very blank calendars, there's no available Saturdays for a re-staging until June 22nd when the BSN fixture could replace the scheduled league fixture.

If Plymouth beat Scunthorpe in the KOC then 28th April becomes available.

I can see the BSN series lasting a lot longer than last year.

Would the League fixture not take priority?

1 minute ago, Neila said:

Comets have posted a video on Facebook showing the trees on the back straight swaying a lot and wind howling 

That's the world lumberjack championships cancelled then :o

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Neila said:

Comets have posted a video on Facebook showing the trees on the back straight swaying a lot and wind howling 

What ? It looks a gentle breeze

14ºC in Workington right now blue sky and yes it's windy but not strong winds, this is a strange call off.

1 minute ago, H20 said:

14ºC in Workington right now blue sky and yes it's windy but not strong winds, this is a strange call off.

40 mph average wind speeds gusts upto 55 mph now would you like to ride a speedway bike with 3 other beside you at 60 mph in this wind ??  And forecast locally to get stronger in the next 3 hours 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nickinho said:

65mph faster than Celina Liebmann

lets put this female speedway riders argument into perspective, she is the best the female riders have in the world  i guess, but i doubt she will ever get out of the reserve birth at the championship level. but lets see what happens eh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, H20 said:

It’s off get over it,its pissing rain all week winds to get stronger as day goes on.Not strange at all .( then you have the riders input)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, H20 said:

It seems that in modern day speedway we can't run because, the wind is blowing, rain is forecast, the sun is in the riders eyes, it's too cold, it's too hot,  the car park is soggy, the trees are swaying, the swimming pool is flooded etc. It's quite comical to read

Edited by iainb
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Would the League fixture not take priority?

I don't think so, if the league is the most important, why not start with league fixtures to ensure they are all done? The BSN is designed as an early season competition. Whenever league takes priority, fixtures get pushed back & we end up getting all finals raced at the end of October / November / abandoned.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iainb said:

It seems that in modern day speedway we can't run because, the wind is blowing, rain is forecast, the sun is in the riders eyes, it's too cold, it's too hot,  the car park is soggy, the trees are swaying, the swimming pool is flooded etc. It's quite comical to read

it seems in modern day speedway 'fans' sit behind a computer and moan, moan and moan - now that is comical to read.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, iainb said:

As is this post .

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Why is a Leicester fan so bothered about a comets meeting being cancelled hahahaha 

2 minutes ago, Supersteady84 said:

Why is a Leicester fan so bothered about a comets meeting being cancelled hahahaha 

Not so much Leicester fan... more BSN subscriber

13 minutes ago, Supersteady84 said:

Oh so you're spitting the dummy because the meeting you were gonna watch is cancelled !!! Hahahaha UNLUCKY 

I'm not the one weirdly laughing and using capitals in some kind of deranged post expressing happiness that a meeting has been cancelled because they think it upsets somebody living in Leicester... but if it makes you happy, I'm happy for you :t:

I had a wasted trip to my living room to watch it!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1