British Speedway Forum

Premiership Media Day

1 hour ago, michanekman said:

So how many media outlets (not speedway facebook sites) used material from yesterday's media day? I don't read many national newspapers but I can't seem to locate anything.

The Sun has Search Results for "speedway" | Page 1 | The Sun

'They should pay us to FIGHT' - Three-time world champion blasts bosses but fans hit back at 'poison dwarf' | The Sun

Edited by Sir Sidney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, michanekman said:

So how many media outlets (not speedway facebook sites) used material from yesterday's media day? I don't read many national newspapers but I can't seem to locate anything.

There was definitely a guy from the sun there as he asked a question.

15 hours ago, K7KDD said:

Well done Tai Woffinden...more swearing please and stay real mate.

Stay real?   Have a word with yourself.   If that was the case then every Sky Sports interview post match would be full of expletives, especially this season with the state of VAR.  There isn't, those professional footballers check themselves in front of the cameras, anybody with any level of common sense would.  Swearing is not 'staying real' it's embarrassing in a professional media press day.

As others have said, in the heat of the moment after crashing you forgive them to a degree if emotion gets the better of them when a camera is stuck in their face. But, in that setting yesterday no, and with Woffinden I actually get the impression at times he does it deliberately, which is also not 'staying real' it's pathetic. 

Now don't get me wrong, I swear all the time. especially at the City Ground, but I check myself when appropriate, i.e. kids around or I am doing media interviews (done a few).... it's not rocket science. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, spin king junior said:

Not bothered by the swearing personally. Was nice to see the riders showing their personalities. But clearly as shown on this thread it wasn't appreciated by everyone and we do have to keep in mind speedway does have an older fan base who are evidently a bit more sensitive to some foul language.

Some small bits to work on for the future media days, but I do hope they continue beyond this season. A step in the right direction and a lot of credit needs to be given to Phil Morris and the team involved.

I'm of the older fan base, I hear swearing on the streets etc I don't like it but I accept its now part of life but when a Media day is to promote  something as a sport for all to watch the excessive swearing used by Tai was unacceptable.  His comments about punch ups on track and how they the riders should be paid/applauded as they put the viewing figures through the roof were also out of order.  If there's an incident on track and in the heat of the moment riders resort to fisticufs it happens so be it, let the referee put it in his report etc but to use it to promote speedway is wrong.  Phil Morris should hold more media days, with louder microphones, but have a word with riders/participants first about what is or is not acceptable, surely people can make a relevant point minus the bad language.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

His comments about punch ups on track and how they the riders should be paid/applauded as they put the viewing figures through the roof were also out of order.  If there's an incident on track and in the heat of the moment riders resort to fisticufs it happens so be it, let the referee put it in his report etc but to use it to promote speedway is wrong.

Remember that Tai fancies himself as a bit of a UFC fighter, he was trying to get something sorted out either last year or the year before with Leon Madsen, everybody else blanked him by the sounds of it. Like I mentioned his last "fight" was an unprovoked cowardly attack from behind on a fan.

The name of this YouTube channel tells you all you need to know, the guy's a gypo!

Edited by iainb

The swearing isn't anywhere near as bad as the hypocrisy.

Must be a case of too many bashes to the head bringing out the true person!

He rides like a 90 year-old granny these days and is way too matey with Bartosz Smarzlik.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's come across as a poundshop version of Conor McGregor in the last few years.

The only time he's shown any aggression on the track since his last WC is when he upended that Polish lad from behind who had got on the track. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Stay real?   Have a word with yourself.   If that was the case then every Sky Sports interview post match would be full of expletives, especially this season with the state of VAR.  There isn't, those professional footballers check themselves in front of the cameras, anybody with any level of common sense would.  Swearing is not 'staying real' it's embarrassing in a professional media press day.

As others have said, in the heat of the moment after crashing you forgive them to a degree if emotion gets the better of them when a camera is stuck in their face. But, in that setting yesterday no, and with Woffinden I actually get the impression at times he does it deliberately, which is also not 'staying real' it's pathetic. 

Now don't get me wrong, I swear all the time. especially at the City Ground, but I check myself when appropriate, i.e. kids around or I am doing media interviews (done a few).... it's not rocket science. 

Keeping checking yourself mate....you sound a bit fake to me.

18 hours ago, K7KDD said:

Keeping checking yourself mate....you sound a bit fake to me.

So by that logic, all the F1 drivers are fake?   They don't swear when being interviewed on TV.  I am willing to bet they swear behind the scenes though, so that's not being fake, that's being professional I would suggest.

Edited by TheReturn
Typo

Citicise Tai all you like, but ask yourself this question.

Which rider at the Premiership Media Day made a comment that resulted in a speedway story getting into yesterday's copy of The Sun?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

So by that logic, all the F1 drivers are fake?   They don't swear when being interviewed on TV.  I am willing to bet they swear behind the scenes though, so that's not being fake, that's being professional I would suggest.

F1 is an utter bore fest and yes they have all been fake since James Hunt.

56 minutes ago, K7KDD said:

F1 is an utter bore fest and yes they have all been fake since James Hunt.

So you say, but despite your opinion, F1 generates millions, maybe billions, worldwide.     

British GP at Silverstone in 2023 attracted 480,000 paying spectators, every one paying at least three times as much as it cost to get into Cardiff.

I think we'd all like speedway to do the same, no? 

1 hour ago, TheReturn said:

You only hand to watch drive to survive to see that they are very different characters "behind the scenes". 

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Citicise Tai all you like, but ask yourself this question.

Which rider at the Premiership Media Day made a comment that resulted in a speedway story getting into yesterday's copy of The Sun?

I am not sure getting in The Sun is something to be proud about..  :D

It was a shame that no body really mentioned some of the great heats we saw last season such as the belle vue v Ipswich heat in the semi finals, the comeback by Sheffield in the final or some of the really good overtakes throughout the season, that’s what’s going to attract more fans and also get some positive attention. Yes social media does a have “click bait” obsession with stuff like fighting and that’s all well and good but not sure that’s going to bring more fans in,  but speedway could certainly with the right content get more eyes on site with the overtaking, the crashes etc. However have to say much better presentation than I’ve seen before cant help but think with better personnel  and financial support Phil will do greater things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1stbender said:

It was a shame that no body really mentioned some of the great heats we saw last season such as the belle vue v Ipswich heat in the semi finals, the comeback by Sheffield in the final or some of the really good overtakes throughout the season, that’s what’s going to attract more fans and also get some positive attention. Yes social media does a have “click bait” obsession with stuff like fighting and that’s all well and good but not sure that’s going to bring more fans in,  but speedway could certainly with the right content get more eyes on site with the overtaking, the crashes etc. However have to say much better presentation than I’ve seen before cant help but think with better personnel  and financial support Phil will do greater things.

It does appear that a much more professional evolution is beginning to take place - this is good! irrespective of Tai's comment or getting the sun etc. Lets hope that this continues.

I actually thought the programme at Ipswich was very good last night too, it was a glossy production with a much wider outlook to it, more pages and more like a  football programme, or at least how I remember football prgrammes used to be - I haven't been to a live football match in England since about 2016. Again if this is a sign of the sport modernising and becomming more professional then I am all for it!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1