British Speedway Forum

Leicester v Belle Vue Thursday 14th March

Another case for track covers with rain due to only be between 4 and 6... yet again all of a clubs efforts into an opening night gone to waste!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

Another case for track covers with rain due to only be between 4 and 6... yet again all of a clubs efforts into an opening night gone to waste!

I definitely think leicester should consider it, but if it rains when the fans are just arriving, there isn't many areas of shelter.

2 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

I definitely think leicester should consider it, but if it rains when the fans are just arriving, there isn't many areas of shelter.

Track covers aren't going to save every meeting, but they certainly will when there is just 1 band of rain sweeping across the country, which is often the case. Complete rain outs they're never going to save.

You would have needed a small dingy to have crossed the massive lake in front of the entrance anyway :D

• Like 1

The stupidity of scheduling league matches before April. Problem is the saturated ground that even relatively small amounts of rain will leave water on the top. They never learn

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

The stupidity of scheduling league matches before April. Problem is the saturated ground that even relatively small amounts of rain will leave water on the top. They never learn

Track was in top notch condition last night, forecast rain between 4 and 6 shouldn't be enough to postpone a meeting in 2024, but sadly we all know it is. 

So a day spent yesterday telling all the press that speedway is back tomorrow night, getting their message out there for people to come, all for nothing... again!

1 hour ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Yes but they struggle to fit everything in before end of October, so need to start a bit earlier! 

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Yes but they Leicester struggle to fit anyeverything in before end of during October, so need to start a bit earlier! 

Amended

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

Here we go . Riders should be on parade . No more than 10 minutes of drizzle in the past 24 hours . 

Tactical call off by Stewart  you heard it here first .

You have to question why Oxford has gone ahead while Leicester hasn't. 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I don't know where you live Lenny but at 6pm and 4 miles from the track it was raining heavily. Half an hour later it was still raining heavily in South Leicester. It was still drizzling at 9.pm.

11 hours ago, iainb said:

Maybe because there hadn’t been any significant rain in Oxford for at least a day, whereas by 6.30pm the Leicester track was totally unridable. 

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Maybe because there hadn’t been any significant rain in Oxford for at least a day, whereas by 6.30pm the Leicester track was totally unridable. 

The meeting was called off way before 6:30 though

30 minutes ago, iainb said:

In which case they deserve credit for getting the call right and saving everybody loads of time, effort and money I'd have thought?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

In which case they deserve credit for getting the call right and saving everybody loads of time, effort and money I'd have thought?

And Oxford? Criticised for going ahead in less than ideal conditions?

I wasn't at Oxford but reading speedway updates it seems that it was raining right up until start time and raining heavily during heat 1. The efforts of all their off season promotion paid off though with a home win in front of a good sized crowd... Leicester? We were all sat at home watching updates from Oxford wondering what the difference was. 

Edited by iainb

35 minutes ago, iainb said:

It was based on a weather forecast, speedway clubs pay for personalised forecasts quite often, this was the exact term used on the call off notice:

The decision has been made after consulting weather forecasts, which indicate a high chance of rain in late afternoon heading up to the time of the meeting.

Leicester’s track has or did have quite a high clay content (not all do)  so any water getting into it so soon before means it becomes dangerous to ride by being too grippy, even if it might look alright 

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

And Oxford? Criticised for going ahead in less than ideal conditions?

I wasn't at Oxford but reading speedway updates it seems that it was raining right up until start time and raining heavily during heat 1. The efforts of all their off season promotion paid off though with a home win in front of a good sized crowd... Leicester? We were all sat at home watching updates from Oxford wondering what the difference was. 

Oxford did go ahead, but it wasnt great...imo!

Rideable, but not raceable!!

Leicester got it right! 

3 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

It was based on a weather forecast, speedway clubs pay for personalised forecasts quite often, this was the exact term used on the call off notice:

The decision has been made after consulting weather forecasts, which indicate a high chance of rain in late afternoon heading up to the time of the meeting.

Leicester’s track has or did have quite a high clay content (not all do)  so any water getting into it so soon before means it becomes dangerous to ride by being too grippy, even if it might look alright 

The same forecast as Oxford, I was watching the rain track across the country on the weather radar apps throughout the day (exciting I know!) and the weather in Leicester and Oxford was pretty much the same.

All, I'm saying is questions should be asked why one went ahead and the other didn't. You may have identified a potential reason in the make up of the track surface, I don't know if Oxford use a different shale to Leicester but after another winter of work on the track it still seems to be blighted by any sign of water on the horizon of the radar.

Thank goodness the season has at least started so we can have some good healthy Speedway debate :lol: