British Speedway Forum

Peter Craven Memorial Trophy - Monday 18th March.

• 2 weeks later...

Why on earth is Celina liebmann riding in this meeting when it's stopping one of the young lads maybe from riding?.Also feel sorry for Workington as they will definitely have at least one weak reserve.it is what it is I guess but wouldn't,t be too happy if I was a worky supporter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Toady said:

Dinosaur, maybe u think she should be at the sink instead.

She might have to be when she's ridden a few matches with little return...have a women's competition yes but riding with the males....well just hope she doesn't get hurt,unless she can gate that is!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moranboys said:

Why on earth is Celina liebmann riding in this meeting when it's stopping one of the young lads maybe from riding?.Also feel sorry for Workington as they will definitely have at least one weak reserve.it is what it is I guess but wouldn't,t be too happy if I was a worky supporter.

Normally the weakest rider in this meeting has been a Prem second string / Champ heat leader. So can't see Celina beating anyone if that remains the same.

I understand why Belle Vue are using her - for publicity / ticket sales, but not sure they could claim she's there on merit as a strong rider.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Normally the weakest rider in this meeting has been a Prem second string / Champ heat leader. So can't see Celina beating anyone if that remains the same.

I understand why Belle Vue are using her - for publicity / ticket sales, but not sure they could claim she's there on merit as a strong rider.

Who cares… Many of the spectators will be young females.It is a positive and refreshing move by the promotion obviously echoed by Workington.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

not sure they could claim she's there on merit

Speedway is part of the entertainment industry, and a priority for any entertainment business is getting bums on seats.   Celina will probably put more bums on seats than any other rider in the field, so of course she's there on merit.

With the PCMT field usually being around GP standard, she'll struggle to pick up points, but she's certainly good enough to pick up points in the Championship for Workington in a second string/senior reserve role.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Well said...... ridiculous really.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 2:09 PM, Moranboys said:

workington supporters are really looking forward to seeing celina @ northside  .

On 2/25/2024 at 2:53 PM, Toady said:

Dinosaur, maybe u think she should be at the sink instead.

proper sexist remark  , do your own dishes .

23 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Lemo knows how to attract punters old and NEW .

10 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Assume  Cook, Blodorn, Mountain and Bailey will take 4 place, so 3 more needed.

Woffinden, J Holder and Zagar?

I don’t think mountain or Bailey will be in. I expect cook to be announced next then 5 non belle Vue riders. 

janowski

tungate

Emil

c holder 

Woffy 

my guess only 

Re the Celina issue - nothing new under the sun -  the 1970 Internationale at Wimbledon featured, for the first time in British speedway, a Japanese rider Jimmy Ogisu ahead of more worthy riders purely because of the novelty aspect.

He wasn't expected to make much of an impression and didn't, scoring just a single point.

I'm not suggesting that Celina is a novelty but you get my drift.

I wish Celina well and hopes she bags a good few points.

• Haha 1

Could well be a tad out of her depth in this meeting, but won't know if she don't try.  Nutshell she is is (mostly) 'just another rider' with a head, 2 arms, 2 legs with a (broadly) similar motorcycle to the rest of the field / league and the 'proof of the pudding' will be when she is actually on-track v the rest.  You can't hide in modern speedway, everyone's scores are available for the world to view & discuss, if not instantly, then very quickly.  An interesting addition to the British League for sure, good luck to her:t:....

Mountain announced today. 

the speedway star already announced Bailey. 

so just 2 more to go

probablt tai and another I’m guessing. Maybe Emil 

Edited by Phil The Ace