British Speedway Forum

Copying MotoGP, who have a half-distance sprint race at the end of practice.

Don't see the point, really, although it does make practice a bit more interesting.

Actually, that probably IS the point.

51 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Copying MotoGP, who have a half-distance sprint race at the end of practice.

Don't see the point, really, although it does make practice a bit more interesting.

Actually, that probably IS the point.

If they want to make SGP more like MotoGP they should get radical and make the GP's 1 race over 70 odd laps with all 16 riders racing on the track at the same time and have pit stops... otherwise leave well alone, Speedway is not MotoGP

4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

It does mean the rider 2nd fastest in practice could earn 0 extra points, while someone finishing 13th gets an extra point.

excellent point

hopefully discovery will read it and abandon the idea.

my take on 'sprint races' in F1, Moto GP and WSB is that they're required because the full length races are dull and they need to fill 3 days content.

Only in speedway could the sprint race be the same distance as the normal race. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, enotian said:

excellent point

hopefully discovery will read it and abandon the idea.

my take on 'sprint races' in F1, Moto GP and WSB is that they're required because the full length races are dull and they need to fill 3 days content.

Only in speedway could the sprint race be the same distance as the normal race. 

I didn't realise this until you posted, but even worse than i thought. Nothing revolutionary, as they try to state. 4 riders on track at the same time doing a sprint over 4 laps. Which if i am correct, and my memory not failing me, as it has been a few years since i attended a meeting now, is what used to be called in the old days a heat. The fastest rider wins, just like in the old heats.....

Trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear here :D 

Edited by iris123
  • Like 3

It could mean (and almost certainly will before very long) that the GP winner won't be the top scorer for the weekend.

Now where have I heard a discussion like that before?

22 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

It does mean the rider 2nd fastest in practice could earn 0 extra points, while someone finishing 13th gets an extra point.

31 minutes ago, False dawn said:

It could mean (and almost certainly will before very long) that the GP winner won't be the top scorer for the weekend.

Now where have I heard a discussion like that before?

I don't really have a problem with either of these.

One is the luck of the draw - typical in most sports - and the other isn't really relevant as they are separate days and separate points.

A more negative thing, for me, would be a rider winning the World Championship in practice.

21 hours ago, iris123 said:

I didn't realise this until you posted, but even worse than i thought. Nothing revolutionary, as they try to state. 4 riders on track at the same time doing a sprint over 4 laps. Which if i am correct, and my memory not failing me, as it has been a few years since i attended a meeting now, is what used to be called in the old days a heat. The fastest rider wins, just like in the old heats.....

It's all a bit silly isn't it? The SGP already ran sprint races - 23 of them in fact. :D 

This is quite aside from the fact that track conditions are going to change between qualifying sessions, so the session you're drawn in is going to influence the selection order for those that don't qualify for the 'sprint race'. Regardless of what's being claimed, it's not going to be the same for everyone.

Then there's the 'sprint race' itself. What happens if those four riders wipe each other out before the GP starts?

In MotoGP you've got far more riders in a race and you can't get them all on the front grid, so timed qualifying is one of the fairer approaches to lining them up, especially as you can put all the riders in one session where the conditions will be the same for everyone. Speedway - for precisely the reasons it takes place on a much smaller track and only has a small number of riders in each race as a result, has evolved a multi-race all-out sprint format. 

If you really wanted to add some interest to practice, add some extra wildcards and have them race-off for a couple of places in the GP proper. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 4

Good points

Risk losing a top rider for the sake of a gimick and a couple of points

And i much prefer your idea of giving a few riders the chance to qualify for the wildcard. Give the event and the fans something, rather than risk losing something 

Abore posts ^^.  Speedway GPs 'falling in' with other motorsports in that the most riders score 3-figures points, if TV stations like it well ok, I guess.  In F1 spare cars are no longer permitted so a risk that drivers, and also teams, could be 'taken out' of the race by a sprint race accident. Same with SGP, riders have spare bikes of course but could be taken out of the 'the main event' due to injury caused by events in the sprint race.  But we'll see, at least they are trying something new....

On 2/6/2024 at 3:49 AM, martinmauger said:

But we'll see, at least they are trying something new....

Something that absolutely no one was calling for! They should concentrate on introducing things they've already promised before introducing gimmicks like this. Do you know who's idea this actually was? Will it put any extra bums on seats, pull in any extra viewers, entice any additional sponsors/advertisements?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2024 at 3:01 PM, Grachan said:

A more negative thing, for me, would be a rider winning the World Championship in practice.

That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that rider A could win the world title ahead of rider B, because rider C beat rider D in a race they are not in (different semi finals).

What is even "sprint" about it? If they wanted to copy other sports, which they seem determined to do, they should run a series of one lap dashes...

Or, god forbid, come up with an original idea! How about something like a rider nominating one of his races during the main meeting to count to qualification to an extra "Golden" race? This could be tactical, so Zmarzlik could nominate his "quali" race when he meets his nearest rival to harm their chances or an "easy" race to stand a better chance of qualification to the bonus race... that's just off the top of my head

On 4/23/2024 at 1:18 PM, iainb said:

What is even "sprint" about it? If they wanted to copy other sports, which they seem determined to do, they should run a series of one lap dashes...

Or, god forbid, come up with an original idea! How about something like a rider nominating one of his races during the main meeting to count to qualification to an extra "Golden" race? This could be tactical, so Zmarzlik could nominate his "quali" race when he meets his nearest rival to harm their chances or an "easy" race to stand a better chance of qualification to the bonus race... that's just off the top of my head

Stick all 16 on track at once with 4 heats of 8 laps :D

• Haha 4