British Speedway Forum

Championship Predictions 2024

4 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Glasgow didn't let Bewley go. He was a Belle Vue rider and decided to leave Glasgow. Connor is still a Glasgow 'asset' and is progressing nicely. Last year we chose not to use him and we won the Championship. Last year Tom was getting stick from some fans overhis home form, wrongly in my opinion, and rumour suggests he didn't really want to come back. When clubs are limited by a points limit every year, there will always be difficult decisions to make when building a team and hard decisions will have to be made.

And if he continues to progress this year, as can be expected, it will be Redcar who will reap the benefit. Similarly Poole with Tom. Why don't these guys want to come back? 

1 hour ago, j2ohh said:

and  thats Glasgow all over . they want everything NOW . not willing to watch young riders develop over time and lose out apart from the odd bit of silverware . but that is their choice .

Not really, it's a numbers game and you can't have everyone back from a title winning team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j2ohh said:

and  thats Glasgow all over . they want everything NOW . not willing to watch young riders develop over time and lose out apart from the odd bit of silverware . but that is their choice .

You must've missed the 16 year old riding for the league champions :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beirao said:

And if he continues to progress this year, as can be expected, it will be Redcar who will reap the benefit. Similarly Poole with Tom. Why don't these guys want to come back? 

It can be lots of reasons. They might want a challenge at a different track, they might not like the travel, somewhere else might fit in better with other commitments, they might want different people around them, a better deal, perhaps they can ride at a slightly different position somewhere else, maybe they just feel they need a change to unlock something that feels missing.

Or maybe they just want to mess with people’s thoughts on internet forums! Probably not a high priority that, actually…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Nobody on the forum really knows what goes on behind the scenes regarding what riders really want to do.Personally I though Glasgow would have kept Tom but with averages and everything else you will never know.

Was largely absent when we really needed performances in big meetings, he had a few good rides just not many. After 2.5 years at GLA would frustratingly still run the inside when the racing line had long since moved up high. No surprises he wasn't re-signed. Vissing on the other hand, I hope Leon finds his Ashfield knack quickly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beirao said:

In Toms case travelling was becoming an issue with his continental commitments.

In this case it probably suited both parties, agree with you on Connor.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, MD said:

Was largely absent when we really needed performances in big meetings, he had a few good rides just not many. After 2.5 years at GLA would frustratingly still run the inside when the racing line had long since moved up high. No surprises he wasn't re-signed. Vissing on the other hand, I hope Leon finds his Ashfield knack quickly.

Leon is an interesting signing.Good gater.

3 hours ago, Noelinho said:

It can be lots of reasons. They might want a challenge at a different track, they might not like the travel, somewhere else might fit in better with other commitments, they might want different people around them, a better deal, perhaps they can ride at a slightly different position somewhere else, maybe they just feel they need a change to unlock something that feels missing.

Or maybe they just want to mess with people’s thoughts on internet forums! Probably not a high priority that, actually…

Maybe something else  , who knows ?

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

In Toms case travelling was becoming an issue with his continental commitments.

In this case it probably suited both parties, agree with you on Connor.

I often wonder if it would be the case that his continental meetings were becoming an issue with his Glasgow commitments.

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Leon is an interesting signing.Good gater.

Hopefully, he's never shown an appetite for passing at Glasgow and we are clearly banking on him quickly getting comfortable and outperforming his starting average. Going to be interesting especially at Berwick this Sat!

6 hours ago, MD said:

Was it not a case of misunderstanding that he wasn’t resigned? Thought he had initially intimated  he wasn’t doing the Championship this year and by the time he decided, Glasgow had made moves. Think he could come back and bite us on the bum when Poole visit. 

Edited by ragdoll64
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MD said:

I was sad to see Vissing leave Glasgow, he's certainly a lot better around Ashfield than Flint has ever been. I wish Claus all the best at Workington and he's already scored 20+1 in two meetings in a bad team so I have no doubt that he's going to be a good signing for them. 

Edited by Nickinho

8 hours ago, MD said:

Did Tom not get 9+2 and 9+1 in the grand final win last year? Would of thought that was a pretty good return and certainly not absent when it really mattered. I do think the biggest reason was probably the travelling which seemed to take its toll at times and the move to Poole will move him up a notch again.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gazzac said:

Did Tom not get 9+2 and 9+1 in the grand final win last year? Would of thought that was a pretty good return and certainly not absent when it really mattered. I do think the biggest reason was probably the travelling which seemed to take its toll at times and the move to Poole will move him up a notch again.

Yeah his form.picked up when he had no pressure riding at no.2 with bomber. Go back and look at the skelpings we took at Poole previously and Oxford and Redcar in the KO cup when riding at 5. Nothing against the lad was a good signing but assumption was he'd be similar progression as basso, and he just wasn't. As discussed the move away will no doubt do him good without the weekend rush to Poland every Friday night/ Saturday morning. Best of luck to him

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Yeah his form.picked up when he had no pressure riding at no.2 with bomber. Go back and look at the skelpings we took at Poole previously and Oxford and Redcar in the KO cup when riding at 5. Nothing against the lad was a good signing but assumption was he'd be similar progression as basso, and he just wasn't. As discussed the move away will no doubt do him good without the weekend rush to Poland every Friday night/ Saturday morning. Best of luck to him

You're right, it was just an answer to not performing in the big meetings, and although the travelling had a massive downside during the season in other meetings, was just to point out that once the travelling to Poland ceased he probably showed his true level on the biggest 2 meetings of the season for Glasgow, even at No2. Think it pretty nailed on he'll improve at Poole, the really interesting one will be Birmingham, certainly started well there. Being a long term Eastie fan saw him as a tiny lad before the meetings at Arlington, suppose makes it  more personal with his progress having seen him ride for about 18 years. Don't think he'll be a world beater, but sure he'll become a proper heat leader in the next couple of seasons.