British Speedway Forum

British Final 2024

Thought it was a decent meeting. No rider dominated and the 2 tyres and having to think when to change the tyre or use the other edge gave it a slightly different tactical element.. Overall thought Bewley, Brennan and Woffinden were the standouts. Bewley with an excellent pass in the final and good to see former Eastbourne Eagle Tom Brennan qualify for British SGP at Cardiff. He has come a long way from his first race in the National League at Arlington that didn't last more than turn 1. 

Was also impressed with Anders Rowe who was in amongst it and deserves recognition for his efforts. Overall a pretty enjoyable meeting and the good to see a decent crowd and possibly the biggest flag in British Speedway - Redcar Bears 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure people probably did moan back then. 

We didn't have Social Media back then, so it wasn't mandatory...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, topaz325 said:

When will we get this meeting at the right venue that is fair to all riders

Move it to Poland, I say!!! :t:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FishersGate said:

Who cares what it's called. Belle Vue use it every week. And guess what ? One there best riders uses it every week. So it's a clear and obvious advantage to Bewley. 

So whats the point of a ‘ National Speedway Stadium’ if it doesn't hold the BIG meetings? He still dropped points and had to come from behind so he ain't unbeatable around there and which of the other riders had never ridden the place before ? Name me a neutral track that could hold it, within the UK then that could actually accommodate such a meeting ?

28 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So whats the point of a ‘ National Speedway Stadium’ if it doesn't hold the BIG meetings? He still dropped points and had to come from behind so he ain't unbeatable around there and which of the other riders had never ridden the place before ? Name me a neutral track that could hold it, within the UK then that could actually accommodate such a meeting ?

Leicester! Centrally located, great parking, just up the road from me and crucially... universally hated :D

• Haha 3

When the BLRCF was at Hyde road the racing was excellent just like at the NSS.

IF you are at a track like the  NSS, where it is regarded by riders as a top quality track, then there is no real home track advantage.Any quality rider can perform on the track. I agree that nowadays set ups are high on the agenda for success…

At Belle Vue we are so blessed to have such a fantastic track and stadium.

40 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

When the BLRCF was at Hyde road the racing was excellent just like at the NSS.

IF you are at a track like the  NSS, where it is regarded by riders as a top quality track, then there is no real home track advantage.Any quality rider can perform on the track. I agree that nowadays set ups are high on the agenda for success…

At Belle Vue we are so blessed to have such a fantastic track and stadium.

I've been involved with speedway for 58 years but saturday was my first visit to the "new" Belle Vue, I was impressed with everything the Stadium, track & the racing!  I think it's fair to say the best rider on the night won so congratulations Dan. 

Belle Vue is the best track in the country (thanks to Chris Morton) & is the perfect track for the British Final. Have people forgotten the carnage when the Finals were run @ Wolverhampton!

One thing all british tracks lack is decent shale, I'm told the quarry/s that supplied it either no longer opperate or won't supply it to speedway tracks.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 6:57 PM, TheReturn said:

We don’t have to have ridden to recognise world class and just ‘good’ riders you muppet. 

We watch speedway so we are entitled to our opinions, doesn’t make us keyboard warriors. 

The fact is, Team GB bar two maybe three doesn’t have world class riders, that British final was full of average riders, with 3 exceptions and one of those is a fading star. 

I actually thought it was a good meeting and there are some real bright stars coming along , it takes time KW.

Cheers Chopper

Edited by chopper

Just to put another person forward for home track advantage then, Tom Brennan. Rode for Belle Vue long enough to know the track, then what about Steve Worrall, Charles Wright, Connor Mountain etc, all former/ current  riders that have had Belle Vue as the home track in the last couple of years. Home track knowledge goes from the bottom to top of that British Final line up. 

18 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Just to put another person forward for home track advantage then, Tom Brennan. Rode for Belle Vue long enough to know the track, then what about Steve Worrall, Charles Wright, Connor Mountain etc, all former/ current  riders that have had Belle Vue as the home track in the last couple of years. Home track knowledge goes from the bottom to top of that British Final line up. 

Granted... but I think when you're at the level of Bewley, Woffinden & Lambert (not Simon :D) the difference often comes down to marginal gains and home track knowledge can often be the deciding factor. It's no coincidence that Poland for example as unbeatable as many people think they are find it very difficult to win World team events at senior level outside of Poland. 

Edited by iainb

• 2 weeks later...

I was just listening to last weeks British Speedway podcast and Lemo was on it commenting on the British Final crowd and said that it was a near sell out... but wondered whether it had been held on a Monday night if it could have attracted a bigger crowd as when it was rained off on a Sunday a few years back and held on a Monday it actually attracted a bigger crowd. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the other way around, it was abandoned on the Monday and re-staged on a Sunday, I remember this because I went to the Sunday re-staging as it was a much more attractive proposition than a Monday night meeting. You have to wonder where Lemo's head is at some times!

You also have to wonder whether the over half a million pounds that the promotion are spending on staging the SoN would be better spent on getting the stadium filled for league matches? Blowing it all on a 5h1t or bust event or build up your attendances and fan base to lessen any risk in the future. I realise they probably think they're in the running to stage a GP, especially as it's the last year of the Cardiff contract this year and we'll probably not be heading back there as the crowds have halved since the exciting new WBD era.

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

I was just listening to last weeks British Speedway podcast and Lemo was on it commenting on the British Final crowd and said that it was a near sell out... but wondered whether it had been held on a Monday night if it could have attracted a bigger crowd as when it was rained off on a Sunday a few years back and held on a Monday it actually attracted a bigger crowd. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the other way around, it was abandoned on the Monday and re-staged on a Sunday, I remember this because I went to the Sunday re-staging as it was a much more attractive proposition than a Monday night meeting. You have to wonder where Lemo's head is at some times!

You also have to wonder whether the over half a million pounds that the promotion are spending on staging the SoN would be better spent on getting the stadium filled for league matches? Blowing it all on a 5h1t or bust event or build up your attendances and fan base to lessen any risk in the future. I realise they probably think they're in the running to stage a GP, especially as it's the last year of the Cardiff contract this year and we'll probably not be heading back there as the crowds have halved since the exciting new WBD era.

You think Belle Vue are not receiving payment for staging the SoN ?

All the ‘Big’ meeting hosts for UK events receive a payment , either a set fee or % of the gate receipts so why would an international event not pay to have a stadium host their event ?

38 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You think Belle Vue are not receiving payment for staging the SoN ?

All the ‘Big’ meeting hosts for UK events receive a payment , either a set fee or % of the gate receipts so why would an international event not pay to have a stadium host their event ?

Belle Vue are paying to stage the meeting, they're paying the FIM & WBD... it's then down to them to make it pay themselves with ticket entry, parking, programme sales etc.

Reading between the lines it also sounds like the council are expecting to see "world" events held at the stadium, I assume so the promotion keeps receiving some kind of subsidy. It almost sounds like the whole clubs future has been bet on the SoN

Edited by iainb