British Speedway Forum

British Final 2024

33 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

Back in the olden days when the sun shone all season and there was passing in every race and GB ruled the shale as we're oft reminded, the BLRC was always at Belle Vue and the British Final always at Coventry. I'm sure people used to complain about that too re advantage, but was there ever any suggestion realistically it would be anywhere else?

Good thing the World Final wasn't held at Wembley every year, eh? :t:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FishersGate said:

One thing Richie Worrall is right about is having the british final at different venues. It's too predictable who's going to win..

Laughable call given the quality of racing Belle Vue provides.  Its the only track in the UK its worth watching the sport now given the rubbish all the others churn out.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Even though Bewley won it, my eyes are firmly locked on the SON and I'm worried. 

Bewley and Lambert lacked track craft against some bang average riders & Woffinden pace is horrific. 

We have absolutely zero chance of a win this year, our lads have gone backwards in 2024

You probably also said the same thing a few years back that we had zero chance in the SON when Bewley and Lambert won it for GB.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Even though Bewley won it, my eyes are firmly locked on the SON and I'm worried. 

Bewley and Lambert lacked track craft against some bang average riders & Woffinden pace is horrific. 

We have absolutely zero chance of a win this year, our lads have gone backwards in 2024

You worry far too much. Lamberts issues (bar one ride) were clearly mechanical, he will be kitted out far better for the SoN. We have as good a chance as anyone.

My only issue is that we'll be going into the final cold when everyone else has had a semi final to acclimatise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R87 said:

Laughable call given the quality of racing Belle Vue provides.  Its the only track in the UK its worth watching the sport now given the rubbish all the others churn out.

I'm sure Glasgow or Workington would disagree.

• Like 5

People moaning about the venue, by far the best we have and is a fair track for all riders...was going to use the phrase more lines but that's awkward in speedway!...give me a meeting at Belle Vue than anywhere else in the country, its a racers track and not just a gate and go.

Also lets not forget the history of the British final, it wasn't always a spectacle at Coventry, far from it, crowds were good but that was mainly due to speedway being in its prime....we now have a track that provides entertainment, lets not forget that because above all else it's the main ingredient the sport needs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I respect your reply.  But there is an advantage to home riders?? There must be??

maybe when away riders came once or twice a year but they turn up at least once a month now and will be familiar with the track and its the fairest in the land

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R87 said:

Obviously you have not been or seen racing from worky or Glasgow 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

It did look that way as soon as he realised the win was out of the question

Think that takes a bit away from Brennan to be fair, who was outstanding all night.  Given what Cardiff means to Harris, I'm not so sure he'd give up another chance to get back there for one last time.

Edited by MattB
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Waspman said:

Wouldn't be surprised if bomber let tom get 3rd spot

I'd be amazed if Bomber let anyone win, anywhere, any day of the week. And especially as it was very apparent that he felt cheated of a (final?) Cardiff appearance after the British Final rain off 2 years ago. And the fans clearly wanted to see him at Cardiff again, as he received the biggest cheer before the start when he was paraded as one the previous winners.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, MattB said:

Think that takes a bit away from Brennan to be fair, who was outstanding all night.  Given what Cardiff means to Harris, I'm not so sure he'd give up another chance to get back there for one last time.

Don’t think Harris gives anything away.

11 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Lol, bang average riders, some of you keyboard racers must have been good.

Cheers Chopper

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, chopper said:

Cheers Chopper

its funny because I came away from last nights meeting thinking we had a good balance of British riders right now...some really promising youngsters and also some "seniors" for them to learn off......when you think of some of the doom and gloom around the sport, thought last night was quite refreshing.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Odds On said:

any reason why Wright kicked out at Bewley after the race had finished?

Looked like Bewley rode close to Wright's left leg out of frustration as they slowed down. Don't think there was anything wrong with the race, was hard but fair 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chopper said:

Cheers Chopper

We don’t have to have ridden to recognise world class and just ‘good’ riders you muppet. 

We watch speedway so we are entitled to our opinions, doesn’t make us keyboard warriors. 

The fact is, Team GB bar two maybe three doesn’t have world class riders, that British final was full of average riders, with 3 exceptions and one of those is a fading star. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

We don’t have to have ridden to recognise world class and just ‘good’ riders you muppet. 

We watch speedway so we are entitled to our opinions, doesn’t make us keyboard warriors. 

The fact is, Team GB bar two maybe three doesn’t have world class riders, that British final was full of average riders, with 3 exceptions and one of those is a fading star. 

so just how many teams in the SON have four out and world class riders?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FishersGate said:

One thing Richie Worrall is right about is having the british final at different venues. It's too predictable who's going to win..

Tai benefitted when it was held at Wolves, there was home track advantage for all the years it was held at Coventry, even the BLRC at Hyde Road didnt produce a majority of BV winners Briggo six on the spin for example, its always been the case. Unless it could be held at a totally neutral track which would be difficult as someone is always going to have home advantage. The only answer really is a different track holds it every season.