British Speedway Forum

Winter Meetings

SJA

Went to the "Lada International" meeting at Wembley Empire pool one year put on / promoted by Ivan Manger & Barry Briggs. A small track of glazed concrete with straw bales for a safety fence. A fun entertaining meeting in which Ivan rode along with many other well known riders of the time. A track where throttle control was a important feature, a blast out of the tapes meant you met the straw bales on bends 1&2 

On 12/18/2023 at 10:12 PM, iainb said:

I used to enjoy them, I think Sheffield put one on once too. 

They did. The Winternapolis I think it was called.

I went and still have the programme somewhere, although the racing wasn't the best from memory. I think the track was quite damp and a lot of straw had been used to try to soak up the water and make it rideable. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Najjer said:

Went to various ones at Newport and even the one that was held at Poole too. That was about -15 degrees.

Somerset went to hold one too but was postponed if memory serves me right?

I think it was postponed 2 or 3 times. Can't remember whether it eventually took place or not. 

I can vaguely remember going to a winter meeting at Scunthorpe in the winter of 2009/10, somewhere around New Year, it was very wet and cold unsurprisingly. I think Kevin Doolan might have won it although I can't find any details anywhere.

26 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I can vaguely remember going to a winter meeting at Scunthorpe in the winter of 2009/10, somewhere around New Year, it was very wet and cold unsurprisingly. I think Kevin Doolan might have won it although I can't find any details anywhere.

I went to that but left before the end absolutely freezing 

21 hours ago, bruno said:

I went to that but left before the end absolutely freezing 

What did you expect in Scunthorpe in winter? I was there once when it started snowing ... and another time when the weather was below freezing and the bike wouldn't start ...

On the other hand i remember going to a meeting in March/April that was badly affected by snow. And also an Ice Speedway meeting in Dresden that was badly affected by unseasonal warm weather making the ice soft :D 

4 hours ago, *JJ said:

What did you expect in Scunthorpe in winter? I was there once when it started snowing ... and another time when the weather was below freezing and the bike wouldn't start ...

And that was in July...:D

• 2 weeks later...

The first Winter meeting that I can remember was the Christmas Vase at Wimbledon, staged on Boxing Day 1956 which was won by Bob Roger of Swindon. The event did not include the top riders who would all have been wintering in Australia or South Africa. From memory, it wasn't particularly successful, attracting only a small crowd on a very cold evening, and Wimbledon never did repeat the experiment. I'd like to have gone myself, but as I was then a 16 year old office boy earning £2.10.0d a week (£2.50), I couldn't afford either the train fare or the admission money!!!!

I know that my club Birmingham staged a Boxing Day meeting in 1937, this being a challenge match Birmingham v Nottingham (both tracks being promoted by Arthur Westwood). The original staging was called off through bad weather and was restaged 24 hours later on December 27th, but what sort of attendance there was I wouldn't know as this was all a bit before my time!

Bob Roger 14, Peter Moore 13, Eric French 11, Cyril Roger 10 were the leading scorers. Peter Moore was the only non-British rider in the field.

Birmingham 44 Nottingham 32 was the result of the other Christmas meeting I mentioned.

35 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

what sort of attendance there was I wouldn't know as this was all a bit before my time!

According to the Evening Despatch newspaper a happy holiday crowd numbered close on 10,000, but the frost-affected track was not at its best.

Was at the Joe Owen Benefit meeting, Ellesmere Port Past & Present v Inter League Select which ended up a 39 - 39 draw, Boxing Day 1985.  This was to be the last meeting at Ellesmere.

Edited by edmon

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2024 at 11:12 AM, Bagpuss said:

They must have had a couple then as I remember Jan Graversen winning one.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2024 at 11:12 AM, Bagpuss said:

Scunthorpe Xmas Cracker - 27/12/09 | Speedway Updates (proboards.com)

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

They must have had a couple then as I remember Jan Graversen winning one.

Jan Gravesen won the Kenny Smith Memorial meeting I remember that was like a mud bath and very winter ISH conditions. Scott Nicholls had a hissy fit and left after 2 of his rides.

https://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/7360/kenny-smith-memorial-scunthorpe-2010

Edited by Fozzie4388
  • Thanks 1