British Speedway Forum

Leicester 1959

Vicar

Its not a lot of help but I'm guessing Guy Allott is in there somewhere. The records show he was riding for Leicester that year.

Also Eric Boothroyd, Bryan Elliot, Jack Geran, Alf Hagon, Dave Hankins, Marian Kaiser and Ken McKinlay.

There's some famous names to conjure with in there, eh?

Ken McKinlay had a lot less hair when I saw him racing in 1970 but the fellow on the bike has more than a passing resemblance

Edited by False dawn

Re Ivor Brown- the Provincial league which commenced in 1960 was the making of Ivor, firstly at Yarmouth and then as you say with CH. He bacame a Prov League star and outstanding rider booked for many second halves at other tracks. he could always be relied upon to add a few extra on the gate. Strangely enough he never won the PLRC Final- does anyone know why?

With the start of the BL in 1965 he looked like he could easily hold his own with the old NL stars until his terrible crash at the 1965 Internationale while racing against Ove.. He did come back but I think it's fair to say he was never quite as good as before, although he was still a useful scorer and I think got to a British WC semi Final in 1965. 

He was certainly the man we loved to hate at Newport-great showman!! 

1 hour ago, norbold said:

There were a number of other good PL riders around at the time especially Trevor Redmond and Ivan Mauger. Ivor made the final every year, but never made it to the podium.

And scored 9, 11, 8, 7, and 9.

Thanks guys, BTW did anyone in forumland ever get to see a PLRC Final- I think maybe Norbold was at Harringay in 1960 when Reg Reeves won  following Trevor Redmonds'  e.f after he was unbeaten from four rides. Anybody else BL65 maybe?. 

8 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks guys, BTW did anyone in forumland ever get to see a PLRC Final- I think maybe Norbold was at Harringay in 1960 when Reg Reeves won  following Trevor Redmonds'  e.f after he was unbeaten from four rides. Anybody else BL65 maybe?. 

Yes, I was there, though it was 1961, not 1960. Even to this day, 62 years later, it still ranks as the greatest injustice I ever saw on a speedway track!

Edited by norbold

13 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Would Reg Reeves have finished second in 1961 without TR's e.f.. I guess Trevor Redmond won it in 1960? Merry Xmas all.

Yes, Reg would have been second. Redmond and Reeves were the best two riders on the night and going into their last heat (Heat 17), they were both unbeaten. Redmond shot off into the lead and opened up a big gap on Reeves. As he entered the last bend on the fourth lap it looked all over - Redmond was clearly the dominant rider of the night. Into the last turn and the title was a formality, but then, disaster - entering 4/4, his primary chain broke. The loss of power tossed him off his bike. Somehow he managed to hold on to the bike and remount, but went straight into the fence. It was all over for him and he finished last. It was just such bad luck - if the chain had snapped coming out of the bend, it is likely he would still have been able to coast to victory, such was his lead. Which is why I said above that it was the greatest injustice I have seen to this day. Redmond was so clearly - and by far - the best rider there on the night.

He finished on 12 points, the same as Maury Mattingley, who he easily beat in the run-off for second place.

And yes, Redmond won in 1960.

Would Reg Reeves have finished second in 1961 without TR's e.f.. I guess Trevor Redmond won it in 1960? Merry Xmas all.

Thanks for the info  Notbold-was the 1961 PLRC Final at Harringay, I think so-which helps explain why youwere ther-was he 1960 Final also held at Harringay also?. One question, I know you weren't into the PL but did you ever consider following Hackney when they started up in the PL. I loved the action in the PL- always eventful.

The 1960 final was at Cradley Heath. The 1961 final was at Harringay.

In 1963 and 1964, when Hackney was in the Provincial League, I lived in walking distance of the stadium (about 20 minutes across Hackney Marshes) and went there every week!

Edited by norbold

6 hours ago, norbold said:

In 1963 and 1964, when Hackney was in the Provincial League, I lived in walking distance of the stadium (about 20 minutes across Hackney Marshes) and went there every week!

Those were the days.  People did actually used to walk to the track!  For a few years I used to walk to Blackbird Road, Leicester from Oadby (and back), an 11 mile round trip.